Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game to the table for the first time last night and did a 3 player on the Olympus map.
This was a testing the waters game, just to get familiar with the rules.
It took us about an hour to teach the rules and go through the draft as the other players had 0 idea what the units were.

Player 1 was Athena: with Atalanta, the Fox, Cerberus and the Amazons.
She was team girl power plus their fuzzy animal friends.

Player 2 (me) was Zeus: with the Chimera, Paris, Odysseus and the infernal warriors.
I was going for a heavy ranged game with a lot of AoW cards to fuel my Chimera.

Player 3 was Hades: with the Mantacore, Achilles and the Centaurs.
Team, go big or go home. Everything about him was scary.

The game started out very timid. Shuffling is very important as a lot of units were clumped.
I didn't even see Zeus till half way through my deck.
Same for Achilles, he didn't show up until the end of the deck.

The big monsters all hit the tables first and basically played omphalos delivery.
Apparently all my Chimera and Hades Mantacore cards were on top so we saw a lot from them.
By the time Zeus entered, the omphalos my Chimera brought was waiting.
My goal was to use my AoW cards to fuel my special abilities, but instead I used a lot of them to draw 2 cards to try and get Zeus in my hand. I guess in heindsight I should have just went right for his card instead of drawing 2.

There were a lot of near showdowns. The Mantacore was within striking distance of me but instead just grabbed omphalos.
Everyone was playing a game of chicken abd kept flinching.

Cerberus was near me but the terrain was in the way. I learned first hand that the Olympus map has several areas that shut down archers.

Hades started inching his way forward.
Then the Fox started going for the omphalos grabs.
We knew this was a powder keg waiting to erupt.
Zeus saw an opening and used his lightning to zap the fox a little.
But then Hades noticed that Athena and most of her units were in her deployment zone.
So he moved in and singed her entire team save for Cerberus.
This was a bold move as Hades was undefended.
But the tactic worked well at first as Athena panicked. She picked up shield and ran into the corner wanting to not be clustered.

I took this opportunity to strike at Hades and managed to whack him for a few wounds with some ranged attacks after finally getting into position.
My deck was getting low as I drew through it with AoW cards.

Hades suddenly was in panic mode as he was assuming his life gain ability will counter his wounds, but it wasn't even close. He was surrounded on all sides.
Atalanta lobbed some stones and added another wound.

My deck ran out and I triggered the refresh. Hades and Athena were excited to draw a ton of extra cards.

Hades moved Achilles in and then summoned his centaurs that Athenas team dispatched. Hades got his first life back, but he was only at 3.
A hard lesson learned for Hades, as figures in this game are very durable and outside of troops, nothing's going to easily die.
I was now nervous because everyone completely forgot about him. Suddenly this near invulnerable hero charged into the fray.

Zeus moved in and zapped Hades down to 1 and threw the fox away in the blast.

Hades knew he was done for and in an act of despiration flew in with the Mantacore and tossed Zeus into Cerberus's and Achiles's zone with his stinger.
This was bad news for Zeus as he was out of activation cards and surrounded by a battered Cerberus but a full health Achilles.

Athena herself came out of hiding and moved into position. Her troops were all beaten pretty badly.

I activated my Chimera and moved in for an easy pick off of Hades thus making the game a 1 on 1. Hades was kicking himself saying, "my fault for moving my king to the center of the chess board."

My activation cards were limited and the best I could do was whittle way Athenas troops in the hopes of making them too weak to wound my half life Zeus.

Athena was in position and activated her power and used her owl, fox and Cerberus to all beat on Zeus. Zeus had 3 life left after the first assaults, and then each of Cerberus's heads took a bite out of Zeus to give Athena the game!

***Final thoughts.

Overall we had a blast. It felt intense when you saw your god come under attack. Each player had a moment of panic when this happened.

Cerberus with his 10 life was a beast! It was ridiculous how much punishment we dealt to him and he would not go down!

I enjoyed my troops, but the match didn't shape up in my favor. Paris is meant to be a hero slayer, yet the only things in his range were monsters and gods.

Squads of troops were sadly underwhelming. The Amazons did nothing except get incinerated by Hades and then recalled to Athenas corner and then were forgotten.

The Centaurs were a speedbump as they were the only non god unit slain. They were recalled and bought Hades 1 round as Atalanta used an attack on them to get rid of guard.

My infernal warriors were utterly useless. I recalled them to my area when Zeus was locked down but they again absorbed a single attack.
Their regeneration ability seems cool, but I never wanted to activate them. There was always something better to do.
Had they been with Odysseus it would have helped, but he was in pelting with arrows position and had no time for troop commanding.

It seems like it is tricky to balance an omphalos snatching victory vs a god kill victory. You seem to have to focus on one or the other.

This was our first time playing and I know we had some suboptimal moments where we forgot to use tallents. So those bonuses could have tipped things.

So although it had its rocky moments, we had fun and all can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Thanks for the session report. It sounded awesome! Can't wait to get my copy.

About troops being underwhelming: Do you think it maybe could be a matter of getting the right troop for the job? Like maybe Athena would have benefited from another troop rather than the Amazons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
Thanks for the session report. It sounded awesome! Can't wait to get my copy.

About troops being underwhelming: Do you think it maybe could be a matter of getting the right troop for the job? Like maybe Athena would have benefited from another troop rather than the Amazons?

In my limited experience, I would say, no.

There is just always something better to activate in our hands.
They only seem good as a speed bump.

I am trusting there is a troop strategy out there as so many heroes combo with them, but it seems like you really need to dedicate yourself to the troop strategy.
I just struggle to see it being better than just activating other units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Corai
msg tools
Troops are cannon fodder indeed, but they're cheap and good for two things:
- Guard (which a lot of troops have), which makes your attacker waste an activation (and running out of activations for a key unit until the decks refresh can be painful)
- Claiming an omphalos and running with it, so that you can use your heavy hitters/tanks for what they're good at and your god for absorption (with, say, a second activation).

Also, some troops have Throw, one of the best talents, although throwing a God with a troop's usually low attack can be tricky, so it's more of an opportunistic use against heroes or other troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those all sound like good points, but I am still sceptical.

As they only have 3 activation cards, you can not guarantee an omphalos grab as one card deploys them, the 2nd runs to it (providing ones in range of your deployment zone)
And the 3rd activation card runs them back.
But that iss assuming you get all 3 cards early, otherwise any other unit can grab it.

They can be a speedbump but forcing your foe to waste a card is not a certainty as units with area attacks just fry them anyway.

So they are very situational. IF your foe doesn't have an area attack and IF you got enough activations to move them into position.

I can see here where the AoW card for a recall can come in handy. Instead of marching them, run your god into position and then recall them.

Despite my skepticism, I am determined to make them work. I will be sure to always draft a troop or two and try my hardest to make them work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Boleslawski
Germany
M√ľnchen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Hades can profit from a troop heavy strategy? You can play him agressively, since anything that dies gives him health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troops clog up the battlefield and make movement difficult for the enemy troops. If the enemy first has to deal with the speed bump that troops represent, he/she can't fight yout big guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
****Update we played game two last night 4 player and in all cases, troops were used very effectively. They were speedbumps, blockers, omphalos snatchers, decoys, whittlers etc.
Hades benefited greatly from troop deaths all match long.

So my previous concerns on troops have been alayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those of us waiting for our copies are gonna need a play-by-play of game two as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.