Subject: Best expansion combination with an emphasis on tactics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I have the base game and am not entirely impressed with it - I am looking to add some more depth to the decision making - any suggestions as to what combination of expansions I should use to achieve this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add in Cities and let us know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Leaders adds the most in terms of long-term strategic planning. Cities slightly complexifies local tactical decisions, and forces you to adapt a bit more to the cards you're passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Leaders provides focus and direction based on the leaders you’ve drafted. Cities provides more variability each round, if that’s what your looking for. Cards that may or may not appear and can change things up, like “Contingent” an Age III military card that provides 5 military. Really, if you are looking to add more in the way of gameplay, I would recommend Babel as that provides just more options for each turn. Hopefully this helps you in making a decision...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dupeux
France
LABASTIDETTE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders+cities and it is more tactical and still so fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldring
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb

7 Wonders: Leaders doesn't really change the base game much. If you're looking for something slightly different, and if depth were to equal complexity, there's a bit more of that in 7 Wonders: Cities...

For most wanting to enrich their 7 Wonders experience I'd recommend Leaders - but this sounds like one of those situations where Cities might be the better recommendation.

Alternately, some people actually prefer Among the Stars (if you enjoy the mechanics of a game like this, but want to explore other options).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Leaders changes the game the most, and for the better. Cities is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders+Cities

This our favorite way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Strategy post alone can help you recognize the depth of base game, no expansion required.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370/some-complex-strateg...

If you really want to add expansion to increase depth, I'll recommend Cities first.

If you are very familiar with the game and play competitively/cutthroaty, Babel is actually good. Very satisfying to see your neighbor thank you for passing them A/B browns in the Age I (or Caravansery/Forum in Age II), then blocking them at the end of Age II using Babel tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Nepper
msg tools
In my playgroup we prefer leaders+cities+babel tower without the great projects.Those who think the babel tower is too random havnt learned to play with it yet imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aikens
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
“Competition on anything is good...” -Eddy Cue
badge
“The family is ordained of God.” -Gordon B. Hinckley
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend all three so far. They all add variability and new tactics and strategies, that being said, I never play without leaders because, like has already been said, it gives you a long term strategy, cities doesn't add too much complexity but it really mixes up decisions, and I think that my favorite has to be babel; it really adds choices and brings the game to a whole other level. The tower makes it fun to shut people down or help you out and the great projects do the same thing but in a different way. I personally always play with everything when I can!

...hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
hinghenry wrote:
This Strategy post alone can help you recognize the depth of base game, no expansion required.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370/some-complex-strateg...

While this post is clearly a labor of love, it also has some tendency to suggest depth when there is none - especially for bigger player counts. I addressed it in that same thread, but there wasn't much follow up discussion from the OP - also regarding comments from other users. This was a bit disappointing. Still a lot to enjoy there.

To the OP:
I think two points are missing in the answers so far:
1) Play with team rules. They allow one player of the team to see their next hand and discuss choices with the partner. It's possible already with the base game alone to play by these rules (which are explained in detail in the Cities expansion), but I also feel, that Leaders and/or Cities are a very good addition and somewhat necessary. But team rules really add depth too! Don't miss them.

2) Don't play with more than 4 people if you want more depth, so that your decissions effect other players about the same way and you can see more hands returning to you while drafting. For non-team-rules 3 players is ideal and with teams 4 (2 teams).

I wasn't impressed by the base either initially - especially when my first games have been 6 or 7 players mostly. But I really love it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.