Rising 5: Runes of Asteros» Forums » General

Subject: App is holding me back. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Thibeault
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game looks like a lot of fun. But I'm holding off because of the app. I feel like this game will not stand the test of time because we have to rely on the app to play this. And what I mean is 5 to 10 years from now will the app still be available will there be constant updating for this game. Or will I be stuck with a game that is unplayable because I'm missing a big component of the game. its just my opinion. And I know I might be making a big deal over this. But I don't want to purchase something that I might not be able to use in the future. What are others thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teebz85 wrote:
But I don't want to purchase something that I might not be able to use in the future. What are others thoughts.
I totally get it, but when you think about it, you're never sure you'll be able to use a game in the future. Lose a pawn, tear a card, and it's gone… At least when the publisher stops supporting the game, which could well be before the app for this one isn't compatible anymore with your devices.

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about this: I'm sure the publisher will support the app for many years, and even after that, there'll be fans to convert it, or generic apps to play all the games that are no longer supported by their publishers. And even if I'm wrong, well, it won't take away all the fun I had playing the game by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also an app-less mode for the game, but it does require one person to "run" it and not really play the game. They are still involved but only in the giving of a clues and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Palmer
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am apprehensive about APP Required games. But a game master is no problem as I am DnD pathfinder player and can be game master.

Has anyone tried this game as the game master or played in the this mode?

How was the experience?

Thanks for feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokyogriz wrote:
Has anyone tried this game as the game master or played in the this mode?
I've only played the game with the app, but I'm not sure how a person could really enjoy replacing it: much like in Alchemists (or Masterminds?), I don't think it implies any decision-making, just giving information to players according to the combination of symbols they're currently testing…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say something but Mattieu beat me to it.

As far as support goes though we have no plans to discontinue it. If we ever do though we'll put it up on our site so people can use it online first ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am personally fine with the app, but I would like to point out, that a game master seldom crashes, and even when, can resume a game afterwards. The app doesn't have a recovery mode, which should be added in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.