BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Robo Rally (2016) or Colt Express rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has Colt Express and I have played it several times. I really like the game, though this last game I was completely annihilated, so perhaps that is coloring my thoughts of the game whistle. In any case I am looking around at programmed action games which apparently I am a fan of. I own Mechs vs. Minions and Space Alert, love them both! MvM is a gorgeous game with really fun gameplay and a fairly good campaign (though I am only on the fourth scenerio). Space Alert is a raucous good time, but possibly too difficult, and hard to get to the table because of the learning curve.

So now I am considering Colt Express and Robo Rally. Can anyone speak for either of these over the other. After just being fun to play, two things that are important to me are replayability and the ease of learning the game. That second item is because I am likely to play with non-gamers and my children. The first item is for me

Thanks as always!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Colt Express and enjoy it immensely. I love the theme. The game plays much better with more players. It can be a chaotic and random game, so as long as you go in knowing that, it is a ton of fun. I think non-gamers will see the train first and that should pique their interest. My kids are too young (5) to understand it but they occasionally will watch and/or "play" with the train after the grownups are done playing.

I only own the base game. I've read the Stagecoach expansion is good. The Marshall one, not so much.

I've never played Robo Rally but have heard of the comparison (programming actions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Colt Express. Robo Rally far outstays its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express is way more fun. Our group has bought Roborally multiple times and traded it away each time. Colt Express, however, stays. It's just more silly fun than Roborally and far less frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the new version of Robo Rally. It just gets crazy and fun.

Colt Express I thought was all right, not as good as the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
Definitely Colt Express. Robo Rally far outstays its welcome.

spot on. Robo Rally is fun for 20 minutes, maybe half hour. once you hit that hour mark it starts to drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I feel quite as negatively about Robo-Rally as some around here and it's still a game I'll quite happily play, but Colt Express beats it for me on every regard. The latter is more visually appealing, has a more satisfying tactile quality and a better sense of interaction when the programmed moves play out.

I've played both but own neither. For years I sat just on the edge of buying Robo-rally but it's pretty much off my wish-list now and Colt Express is very likely to be one of my next purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
dont listen to these fools robo rally 4 life

just gotta be careful you dont make a track that will take like 4 hours to complete, which is quite possible to do

edit: unless of course youre in high school and you want to play robo rally for 10 hours straight because you dont have anything else to do and you love robo rally, then hey put all the boards together and use all the checkpoints. ahhh the heady days of our youth. man i do love robo rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally is the better game. Colt Express has better production values, and perhaps gives a better first impression. Robo Rally is a game you can enjoy for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Robo Rally is the better game. Colt Express has better production values, and perhaps gives a better first impression. Robo Rally is a game you can enjoy for years.

Judging by the fact that this commenter’s avatar is a Robo Rally playing piece, I am inclined to suspect that his opinion may be biased!😀

In all seriousness though, both games are fun, but Robo Rally is definitely more of a thinking puzzle than Colt Express, though both games have the same amusing chaos element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the input. Still not sure I have a better idea of which one I should buy. Perhaps leaning towards CE, because it is the known quantity.

How about I muddy the waters a bit? Anyone played The Dragon & Flagon? It is not one you hear about much but would seem to be in the same conversation as these other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judo artist wrote:
Thanks all for the input. Still not sure I have a better idea of which one I should buy. Perhaps leaning towards CE, because it is the known quantity.

How about I muddy the waters a bit? Anyone played The Dragon & Flagon? It is not one you hear about much but would seem to be in the same conversation as these other two.

I've watched it being played. It seems like a lot of fiddly bits for not much game. Like Robo Rally, it's going to take significantly longer than Colt Express for the same or less return on investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
I've watched it being played. It seems like a lot of fiddly bits for not much game. Like Robo Rally, it's going to take significantly longer than Colt Express for the same or less return on investment.

Yeah? That makes sense. I have only seen a tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I 'd totally go for Dragon and Flagon. Roborally second and totally avoid Colt Express.

Colt Express is just chaos with quite few skill. Roborally is awesome, but a bit long. Dragon and Flagon for me is just right. A bit Chaos but not to much and plays quite fast. Yes it might be the most rules heavy of the tree, but its still very much suited for families complexity wise imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Robo-Rally myself, although I've only played Colt Express online. Couldn't really get into it. You have to be careful with track design in Robo-Rally, though, it is easy to make a track that takes far too long to finish. Colt Express just felt random, Robo-Rally felt like you at least have some control but it was more of a thinking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

Judging by the fact that this commenter’s avatar is a Robo Rally playing piece, I am inclined to suspect that his opinion may be biased!😀

Hah, you know I hadn't even made that connection myself. Chose the avatar a long time ago, and gave away Roborally (and all expansions!) when I emigrated ~14 years ago. Still, I've played Roborally a few times since then, I recently ordered the 2016 version, and I have no interest in acquiring Colt Express after two plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Roborally has more skill, but Colt Express elicits laughter whereas Roborally elicits frustration. Unexpected results in Roborally have you wasting your turn and probably losing the game against good players. Unexpected results in Colt Express have you getting shot, dropping your loot, getting knocked out, or tossed out the back door. It's just more fun. Skill be damned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.