United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderMcG wrote:
Not yet. Q1 2018

Nice. I was hoping for snowtroopers. Now let's see how long before we get a dewback rider.

And tauntauns for the rebels natch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The picture is smallish and angled and only just barely readable, so I'm repeating what I can make out for discussion. Let me know if any of this is wrong.

Veers abilities.

Spotter 2 (Choose up to 2 friendly ground units at range 1. Each chosen unit gains an aim token.)
Inspire 1 (After your Rally step, remove up to 1 suppression token from another friendly unit at range 1-2.)
Precise 1
Sharpshooter 1 (While performing a ranged attack, reduce the defender's cover by 1.)

And even more interesting to me, the Maximum Firepower command card. This card gives orders to General Veers only and has an initiative value of 1.

At the end of General Veers' activation, he may perform an attack using the following weapon:

The weapon appears to have a range of 4 or higher (is that right?) with 4 red dice, Impact 2 and is immune to Deflect (Good bye, Luke!)

If I'm right about the range 4+, is that the first time we've seen this much range? I would interpret this to mean anything you can't reach with the range 3 ruler is a valid target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KoalaXav wrote:
CommanderMcG wrote:
Not yet. Q1 2018

Nice. I was hoping for snowtroopers. Now let's see how long before we get a dewback rider.

With General Veers, I was hoping for the AT-AT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Maguire
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. You had to know these were coming...just sooner than I expected. I was hoping to some more collecting of the first models before I got sucked into another setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
CommanderMcG wrote:
Not yet. Q1 2018

That thing would be huge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spectre2007 wrote:
Awesome. You had to know these were coming...just sooner than I expected. I was hoping to some more collecting of the first models before I got sucked into another setting.

Well they need to make sure everyone's armies don't look identical when the game launches or it's going to get really boring really fast.

We know the units in the box aren't enough to reach 800 points, and the game allows you to have two leaders.

So it makes sense that they'd give each faction a bit of variety beyond the box and a second leader before launch. So expect to see Han or Leia real soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabby ...
msg tools
KoalaXav wrote:

If I'm right about the range 4+, is that the first time we've seen this much range? I would interpret this to mean anything you can't reach with the range 3 ruler is a valid target.

The At-St mortar also has this range
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
CommanderMcG wrote:
Not yet. Q1 2018

Nice. I was hoping for snowtroopers. Now let's see how long before we get a dewback rider. :D

Agreed - AT-AT’s, speeders and AT-ST’s needed, as well as some Hoth scenario rules. I have a Hoth scenario put together using a modified version of the Star Wars Miniatures Battles rules. But, the Legion rules would work a lot better. I’m also hoping that they will come out with rules for the heavy weapons, like the Golan batteries and the Atgar cannons.

Actually they could have a whole new core box for just vehicles and heavy weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
Hahma wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
CommanderMcG wrote:
Not yet. Q1 2018

Agreed - AT-AT’s, speeders and AT-ST’s needed, as well as some Hoth scenario rules. I have a Hoth scenario put together using a modified version of the Star Wars Miniatures Battles rules. But, the Legion rules would work a lot better. I’m also hoping that they will come out with rules for the heavy weapons, like the Golan batteries and the Atgar cannons.

Actually they could have a whole new core box for just vehicles and heavy weapons.

I think an AT-AT would be ridiculous in the scope of this game. It would fill the table, be unable to turn, and probably use your entire 800 point budget. This is not the right game for recreating heavy assault battles. The focus is more on infantry.

Scout Walkers are agile enough to turn around on these small battlefields. AT-ATs are not, and they would be virtually indestructible by ground forces lacking a lightsaber.

If they do an AT-AT it would only serve as a cash grab and likely be detrimental to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KoalaXav wrote:
If they do an AT-AT it would only serve as a cash grab and likely be detrimental to the game.

It was a joke. I don't think they would add them. But it will be the same argument for AT-AT's as it was for Star Destroyers in X-Wing, prompting FFG to eventually create a new game called Star Wars: Army in a smaller scale which allows AT-ATs and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why Halo Ground Command and Legends Joan of Arc did their products in smaller scale, so that massive battles could be played and have larger vehicles or monsters be represented and actually functional in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
dakkadakka1 wrote:
Hahma wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
CommanderMcG wrote:
Not yet. Q1 2018

Nice. I was hoping for snowtroopers. Now let's see how long before we get a dewback rider. :D

I think an AT-AT would be ridiculous in the scope of this game. It would fill the table, be unable to turn, and probably use your entire 800 point budget. This is not the right game for recreating heavy assault battles. The focus is more on infantry.

Scout Walkers are agile enough to turn around on these small battlefields. AT-ATs are not, and they would be virtually indestructible by ground forces lacking a lightsaber.

Have to respectfully disagree with you. Star Wars Miniatures Battles is a skirmish game that has stats on everything from Ewoks to AT-AT’s. I have run Battles from 6-10 Miniatures on a side to well over 100 per side - the combat rules scale very well. The problem is that SWMB has no command & control or unit morale rules, which makes it more clunky to run mass battles.

The point is that SW:Legion could do this same thing, except they could fix the previously mentioned issues, so that mass battles could be played. I’m not saying that they should include all the vehicle rules in the core box; but, make the larger vehicle rules and stats available so people can run epic-scale battles. Not only would that open up a whole additional group of engagements that could be played, it also fits in with FFG’s money-grab philosophy so they can sell more minis.

Instead of an 800 point game, what’s wrong with a 2800 point game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

If they do an AT-AT it would only serve as a cash grab.....

And $13 for one plastic figure is NOT a cash grab? Not far off double the price of a single Imperial Assault figure....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

And $13 for one plastic figure is NOT a cash grab? Not far off double the price of a single Imperial Assault figure....

Was it usable in the game? Did it offer a desired element the game was lacking? Did it expand on the game without breaking it? If the answers to these questions is yes then it wasn't only a cash grab.

The AT-AT would fail at least one of those questions. Likely, the last one. And if it couldn't turn around, the first as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Was it usable in the game? Did it offer a desired element the game was lacking? Did it expand on the game without breaking it? If the answers to these questions is yes then it wasn't only a cash grab.

The AT-AT would fail at least one of those questions. Likely, the last one. And if it couldn't turn around, the first as well.

In the Hoth scenario I played, the AT-AT’s could not turn, and had a limited field of fire. That’s why the AT-ST’s had to protect them. Just because the infantry couldn’t do much to them did not break the game - that’s why the speeders were there with their tow cables. There was also a time element that the Imperials had to get the AT-AT’S into position to disembark their troops and capture Echo Base before the transports got away.

Sorry but your statement does not apply. In the above example, the AT-AT’s answered all three of your questions in that particular ruleset. My contention is that FFG should have enough people with sufficient game design experience to pull off the same result in SW:Legion, IF they choose to make the effort. Now, whether or not they WILL make the effort is anyone’s guess.

Obviously the heavy vehicles and guns probably wouldn’t be useable in tournaments. But there’s no reason why they couldn’t be used in a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Except it isn't for one figure. It also comes with cards and tokens and such.

All these things happen to be produced by people that like to pay their electric bill and feed their children as well. Poor artists like to eat food, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

In the Hoth scenario I played, the AT-AT’s could not turn, and had a limited field of fire. That’s why the AT-ST’s had to protect them. Just because the infantry couldn’t do much to them did not break the game - that’s why the speeders were there with their tow cables. There was also a time element that the Imperials had to get the AT-AT’S into position to disembark their troops and capture Echo Base before the transports got away.

Sorry but your statement does not apply. In the above example, the AT-AT’s answered all three of your questions in that particular ruleset. My contention is that FFG should have enough people with sufficient game design experience to pull off the same result in SW:Legion, IF they choose to make the effort. Now, whether or not they WILL make the effort is anyone’s guess.

Obviously the heavy vehicles and guns probably wouldn’t be useable in tournaments. But there’s no reason why they couldn’t be used in a scenario.

There's also fan made scenarios that people can come up with, like this one for X-Wing. If I recall correctly, some friends and I played a 3v3 game with this very scenario several years ago.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893968/mission-battle-hoth

We didn't have AT-AT models, so we just used cardboard bases to represent them. It was fun.

Whether FFG comes up with official rules for AT-AT’S or not, people can still come up with something on their own. It's not going to be for tournaments, so the rules don't have to be "official".

I suppose if there is a sufficient demand for the official models, cards, tokens etc for them, and FFG could make money off of them, then it can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
Sorry but your statement does not apply. In the above example, the AT-AT’s answered all three of your questions in that particular ruleset.

Sorry but this also does not apply. This is the forum for Star Wars Legion, not Star Wars Miniatures Battles. I had that back in the day too and loved it but they are not the same game and do not translate easily. Besides, the old WEG miniatures were about 3/4 the scale of Legion and even they never produced an AT-AT as far as I can recall. I don't remember anything bigger than the rancor in that line.

If we were playing SWMB and its fistfuls of dice, sure an AT-AT could make sense. But the focus on Legion is infantry and commanders, with vehicles serving in a support role. Adding AT-ATs would (in my opinion) make infantry nearly worthless and drastically alter game balance. If there's enough demand, maybe they will do for ground battles what Armada did for space battles and scale a game where you can field multiple heavy assault vehicles and emplacements on a scale more suited to them.

I might be unpopular in my opinion, but I don't think Legion is where AT-ATs belong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
dakkadakka1 wrote:
Sorry but your statement does not apply. In the above example, the AT-AT’s answered all three of your questions in that particular ruleset.

Sorry but this also does not apply. This is the forum for Star Wars Legion, not Star Wars Miniatures Battles. I had that back in the day too and loved it but they are not the same game and do not translate easily. Besides, the old WEG miniatures were about 3/4 the scale of Legion and even they never produced an AT-AT as far as I can recall. I don't remember anything bigger than the rancor in that line.

If we were playing SWMB and its fistfuls of dice, sure an AT-AT could make sense. But the focus on Legion is infantry and commanders, with vehicles serving in a support role. Adding AT-ATs would (in my opinion) make infantry nearly worthless and drastically alter game balance. If there's enough demand, maybe they will do for ground battles what Armada did for space battles and scale a game where you can field multiple heavy assault vehicles and emplacements on a scale more suited to them.

I might be unpopular in my opinion, but I don't think Legion is where AT-ATs belong.

I understand the forum is for SW:L. I was simply using the SWMB example to explain that it is possible to integrate heavy vehicles into an infantry skirmish game.

As much as I would like to see heavy vehicles, I doubt that FFG will go down this path; but, we have plenty of Star Wars fans who will come up with house rules for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Except it isn't for one figure. It also comes with cards and tokens and such.

Gosh yes. pretty similar amount of content to an Imperial Assault character pack - but significantly more expensive. I also feel like I recognise a lot of the art on the cards.....

FFG are not exactly averse to raking in the dollars (especially given they decided to slightly change the figure scale so you have to re-buy figures you already own), so I see no reason at all they would not decide to do a cash-grab AT-AT at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.