Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking ahead to some cards which I want to be ready for. The current situation is that Case Yellow was successful so Vichy is a Neutral country and the Occupied France - German Dependent marker is in the ceded lands box.

I noticed that on Operation Torch, it says if a US unit is in (among other things) a Moroccan City hex, then you apply French Liberation which flips Vichy to a western minor, triggering "France Rises" which removes the Occupied France marker from the ceded lands box.

First, is this all correct?

Second, this suggests that simply by landing a single US unit in Casablanca, (which happened in 1943, historically?), France becomes an active western minor again. What's this trying to model? My understanding was that Vichy stayed neutral (officially) until at least after D-Day?

Mechanically, do I need to prepare to re-conquer Vichy as soon as the Americans are in the war? That's a lot of steps I don't think I can afford to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Second, this suggests that simply by landing a single US unit in Casablanca, (which happened in 1943, historically?)...

8 November 1942.

Quote:
...My understanding was that Vichy stayed neutral (officially) until at least after D-Day?

Immediately after the Torch landings the Axis implemented Operation Anton in order to occupy the island of Corsica and all of Southern (Vichy) France. This took less than a week, after which all remaining Vichy forces were disbanded. The Vichy government more or less continued to exist in metropolitan France until after D-Day, but governed at the behest of German wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that is something I never learned! Thanks for the insight Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Stingley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be worse than you think. Vichy can not be conquered (16.1.1 last sentence). You will have to occupy every city and PORT to secure France. You should create multi-step units in France to prevent running short of infantry corps in your available force pool. Also remember the Axis lose the Road/Rail bonus during reserve movement in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.