Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to play my first game next week and wanted to get people's thoughts on the variants in the base game rulebook. Should I include them first game? Down the road? Not at all?

Fog of War
Holy Relics
Open Diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScalpHell
France
Lestrem
Hauts de France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s not an easy Game. You should start without variant or extension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've never really big big on the variants. I like the idea of them, but I'd worry the Fog of War would make the game take even longer. Holy Relics seem cool, but they add another degree of randomness in a game that hits its max quota I think. Never felt the need for Open Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Relics are a pain since their abilities are not right there on the card and it is easy to forget that you have it at all.

Fog of War seems rather silly if you can remember what your opponents have been buying and doesn't add anything fun to the game otherwise.

I have use a partial "Open Diplomacy" in that the diplomacy tokens are still used for their intended purposes (coins, cards, private meeting), but public negotiation is a must to make this game shine.

Good luck on your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:
Holy Relics are a pain since their abilities are not right there on the card and it is easy to forget that you have it at all.

Fog of War seems rather silly if you can remember what your opponents have been buying and doesn't add anything fun to the game otherwise.

I have use a partial "Open Diplomacy" in that the diplomacy tokens are still used for their intended purposes (coins, cards, private meeting), but public negotiation is a must to make this game shine.

100% agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.