Alessandro Carpenito
msg tools
Arguably what really changed from TI2 to TI3 was that it went from an empire building/wargame to a point salad dressing one.
In TI4, given how many rich systems there are compared to empty system anomalies and the nature of objectives, I feel like the safest choice is, again, turtling, collecting secret objectives and bubble when you can. You can scuffle for MR but you can also farm the Imperial secondary fto gain a lot of secret objectives and cycle from your hand difficult ones.
Shattered Empire somewhat altered this situation by introducing a new objective deck that asked you tyo do stuff like go out there and break some ship or threaten home systems, but it seems TI4 shoved some of those into the Secret Objective deck and did away with the rest.

With that in mind, here's the Galactic Progression Chart for TI2:

Each round you could advance a single step on it, provided you had the requisites. The first to get to IMPERIUM REX won, which didn't require control of MR despite the artwork.

I was thinking with the numbers tweaked a little for resources / influence, and maybe adding VP requirements so the objective deck still gets used, this could be adopted for TI4 too. It definitely would drive conflict if it required a sufficiently large number of planets, with maybe further tweaks based on player count, accounting for the ability to claim progressively larger slices the fewer players there are.

Keeping the objective deck to act as a game clock like it does now would prevent the game from going on forever, though it would be somewhat more likely that it would go on for the full 8 rounds if no one could gain a decisive advantage.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea.

Not a fan of the point salad aspect of TI3/4, so this variant might be worth a try.

Why switch from resources to influence in IR stage?

Why have the objective deck when this functions as a clock? Perhaps the Imperial Strategy card could allow you to advance 2 steps if you meet all the prerequisites to do so? Maybe allow for allied victories after round 9 or something, but increase the requirements for each ally added, like how they did in Rex: Final Days of an Empire. These could be created using a certain number of promissory notes shared between the allied parties.

Just my initial brainstorming thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Carpenito
msg tools

Hector131 wrote:
Cool idea.

Not a fan of the point salad aspect of TI3/4, so this variant might be worth a try.

Why have the objective deck when this functions as a clock? Perhaps the Imperial Strategy card could allow you to advance 2 steps if you meet all the prerequisites to do so? Maybe allow for allied victories after round 9 or something, but increase the requirements for each ally added, like how they did in Rex: Final Days of an Empire. These could be created using a certain number of promissory notes shared between the allied parties.

Just my initial brainstorming thoughts.

Thanks for replying.

This sadly does not have a clock fucntion at all, because it just goes on until one or more player can advance to IR. What if the players get locked into 8 planets each forever? Gain one, lose one for 20 rounds straight? Unlikely, but possible.

I don't know about the REx victory system, I have to give it a read.

There's no switch from resources to influence, it's an addeed requirement.

I was thinking the same thing about the Imperial Strategy Card. Perhaps it could allow you one step when resolving the primary ability; perhaps only if you were holding MR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:

I think it was more thematic than anything, representing to really be crowned as Emperor, you needed to have support of the planets.

However, one thing I should note is that if using this in TI4 you may need to reduce the values in Republic, Empire, and Imperium Rex, as TI2's resource and influence values on planets were higher than that in TI3 (and thus TI4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible you can come up with five gradations of monarchial titles for the faction (leader ?) ?

Foundation? Consortium?

How about:

Warlord
Count
Duke
Viceroy
Emperor

Rex just means 'King'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
I'm happy you propose a variant and a different way to play. One comment however I have to disagree with

Vidyaraja wrote:
In TI4, given how many rich systems there are compared to empty system anomalies and the nature of objectives, I feel like the safest choice is, again, turtling, collecting secret objectives and bubble when you can. You can scuffle for MR but you can also farm the Imperial secondary fto gain a lot of secret objectives and cycle from your hand difficult ones.

In the 6 games I have played, I have found this not to be true. I have found that Mecatol Rex can be very important to winning. Although you may farm secret objectives, in the end this can only give you 3 points maximum. Stage II objectives are significantly harder to achieve and require some conflict much more so than Stage I objectives. This means that, even if you score 3 Secret Objectives and all Stage I Objectives but never took Mecatol Rex, you are still 2 points short of victory (or 1 point short if you got 1 Support for the Throne). That means that victory depends on some combination of taking Mecatol Rex, or grabbing at least one Stage II objective, or other factors that involve interaction.

In my group's last 3 games, the winner was someone who took and fought over Mecatol Rex, and there were dramatic battles at the center of the board. Meanwhile, few of the uninvolved parties were out of the running because of the VP system. Given the length of this game, I prefer the default ruleset for maximizing fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Despite what I said just above, I would be interested in trying this among my regular group as a one-off session some day.

Okay, so I did some math, taking info from various sources. This is what I found:

The 33 non-home system planets from TI4 (including Mecatol Rex), taking the info from this link, have a total of 47 Resources and 55 Influence.

The 33 planets in base TI2 (including Mecatol Rex), taking the info from this link), have a total of 85 Resources and 95 Influence.

Extrapolating from the above, these would be following progression stages in a TI4 game:

Warlord - start the game
Foundation - 5 planets outside homesystem
Consortium - 4 technology advances
Republic - 7 planets outside homesystem, 14 resources and 4 technology advances
Empire - 7 planets outside homesystem, 14 resources and 7 technology advances
IMPERIUM REX - 17 influence, 9 planets outside homesystem, 17 resources and 9 technology advances

Per 2nd Edition rules, if more than 1 faction reaches Imperium Rex during the Progression Stage, then the faction with the greatest amount of influence is the winner. The 2nd tiebreaker would be amount of resources -- if this is still a tie, then the game is a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this progression chart yet, and if so, how well did it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.