Nick Zube
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
"Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals."
badge
You were doing well until everyone died.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoted from today's update on the Kickstarter page:

Quote:
An Update On The Miniatures

To our faithful backers,

The Darkest Night miniatures set is an active part of this project’s discussions. We are very pleased with the latest set we received and believe that most of you will be also, but we understand that not everyone shares our opinion. Thus, to be fair to our backers, we are offering a limited-time refund on the Darkest Night miniatures set.

If you wish such a refund, send us a message through Kickstarter with your request within the next 48 hours (that is by Friday, 22 December, at 12 PM PST); we will refund your miniatures set purchase in full (plus shipping, if applicable).

It might take a week or so to credit these refunds and update Pledge Manager appropriately, so please be patient during that process. We must offer this for a limited time to have everything in order when shipping of Darkest Night begins.

Thank you,

The VPG Team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was waiting the last unboxing video to decide wether to take the minis pack or not (I really would have liked this game with minis) but unfortunately, they are not good enough (for me).
I'm not a fan of standees but here, it will have to do.
I'm sorry for them. They will certainly lose some money with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a shame for sure. Though I hope their reaction is to be more diligent should there be a next time instead of just dismissing the idea of producing minis altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the comments section there, I get the feeling that VPG is having a little crisis handling this KS, gulp
I hope everything go well, because I too placed my pledge through local game store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everything went just fine.
The usual delays is all.

The minis crisis is based on the fact that VPG has no extensive experience in this field. The results are below the miniatures games standards.
We've seen way worse in many games but the expectations (and ambitions) were high.
If you use minis as glorified pons, these would completely do.
But if you are serious about miniatures, they won't fit the bill.

Anything else seems to be of high quality.

This happened before with their other KS's: people were nervous but the end products were above all suspicions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, this mini crisis is the perfect example of mass-sheepness. Some of the elitist mini afficionados were vocal about the mini quality, and the weak minded mass have talked themselves into not liking them.

I'm not talking about the quality mini painters here of course, so please don't be offended if it's not true for you, but most of the refund seekers won't even touch minis with a brush.

The minis are perfect for blinging up the game, look good on the table for gameplay purposes, but not good enough for painted mini exhibitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaki Blondin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Beneath my skies, the dying have gathered...
mbmbmbmbmb
While I applaud VPG for finally doing the right thing, I have to strongly disagree with this statement. I am not a "mini guy" or expert, but, I do enjoy them and fully believe they add to the immersion factor. Having said that, I own several games that run the gambit for miniature quality (from the best KDM to the standard Runebound) and my issue with them is this; I am okay paying $400 for a game that has KDM quality minis and I am okay paying $80 for a game like Defenders of the Realm which has standard, bent sword miniatures. I am not ok paying an additional $90 for miniatures that look the way the miniatures looked in VPG's videos. Sword and Sorcery is comparable in price overall and it's miniatures look to be way beyond what VPG was offering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These minis are not worth their price.
Everybody would take them if they were for free but they are not.
So, when someone has to pay for a good, the normal reaction is to see if the good is worth the money you pay for it.
So, no, you don't have to be a painter to logically decline the offer.

Bottom line is: if you like them, buy them. And if you don't, don't.

Judging the people doing so is condescending.
Giving an opinion and bashing people are two different things.

Can't we just talk for once without despising others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
Yeah it's a shame for sure. Though I hope their reaction is to be more diligent should there be a next time instead of just dismissing the idea of producing minis altogether.

I don't think we'll see mini's in the future. A Nautilis player pawn is one thing but anything like this will never be attempted again. It's just not their style (that isn't a knock but a mini company is not who VPG are) and the stress thus caused isn't worth it. I have no doubt they wished they hadn't offered it to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
Actually, this mini crisis is the perfect example of mass-sheepness. Some of the elitist mini afficionados were vocal about the mini quality, and the weak minded mass have talked themselves into not liking them.

I'm not talking about the quality mini painters here of course, so please don't be offended if it's not true for you, but most of the refund seekers won't even touch minis with a brush.

The minis are perfect for blinging up the game, look good on the table for gameplay purposes, but not good enough for painted mini exhibitions.

Disagree. By modern (as in the last few years) boardgame standards, these are not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
oduh wrote:

I don't think we'll see mini's in the future. A Nautilis player pawn is one thing but anything like this will never be attempted again. It's just not their style (that isn't a knock but a mini company is not who VPG are) and the stress thus caused isn't worth it. I have no doubt they wished they hadn't offered it to begin with.

Yeah I hear ya. I don't think that most VPG titles are applicable anyway, but should there be one in the future I think some additional care on VPG's part could prevent similar issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:

I agree. The price is more than I'd like to pay perhaps, but this is one of my top games and felt this would be a nice alternative to standees. I feel like they're at least as good as some other games I have (like Runebound 2nd edition or some of the Flying Frog games), which is fine by me. I'm also not bothered by the "bending" issue. This is something I run into with all miniatures that aren't hard-plastic. The fix is easy and it's not an issue for me.

I also kind of suspected we might be getting so-so miniatures from the start, since VPG is new to this. I backed knowing this, so I'm not going to back out now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the fence from the beginning about adding the minis, so I ended up requesting a refund. If you bought them with your pledge, they were $40 with some additional shipping tacked on. That's not a bad deal for 30 minis, but having more minis than I can paint at the moment made it an easy pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:

Totally agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grinter
United States
Tillamook
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there pictures of these "oh so horrible" minis somewhere, I'm not seeing any actual photos on the kickstarter or on these pages, not a backer, but I have been interested in this game and always enjoy the drama of kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.