Hide
11 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Need help with random dungeon setup. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Farnum
msg tools
I want to try out the 6 starting characters by running them through random dungeons. I did random draws which gave me “Mangy Sewer”. I followed the set up on the “sewer” card and filled in with enemies per the “mangy” card. I entered at green door A. I played the random dungeon completing the entire thing as far as I can tell and I reached the other door A which is red on the “sewer” card. At this point do I place another random tile and enemies? It’s seems weird because the new one might be something that doesn’t make sense like the sewer leading to a cave or hallway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knucklesamwich wrote:
It’s seems weird because the new one might be something that doesn’t make sense like the sewer leading to a cave or hallway.

You might even say it seems a bit random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Farnum
msg tools
So that’s right then? It just seemed to make more sense that if I’m in a sewer I would stay in something more sewer like or come out in a town location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
If you just want to test characters, I highly recommend just using the first scenario instead. Random scenarios, besides the problem you now face, are also very uneven in difficulty since just about any enemy can pop up. The first scenario is a very good introduction and isn't so difficult to be frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The random dungeons should be 3 rooms. From page 50 of the rule book:

Quote:
Each random dungeon consists of three randomly generated rooms and the goal is always to clear all rooms of monsters. The three rooms will be set up one at a time, with the next room only being revealed once the door to it has been opened. Each room is set up using a room card and a monster card, each drawn randomly from the tops of their shuffled decks.

As for it not making thematic sense going from a sewer into a forest or something, well, they did call it "random"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Farnum
msg tools
I’m doing it right then, just making sure I didn’t miss something. My sewer led to a “crushing alcove”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Silverback
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are doing it right.

Sometimes to get a slightly more thematic feel to a random dungeon and also to save time switching all the monsters for each room, I choose to leave the monster-card in play and only draw new room cards.

I guess you could also select 3 rooms that thematically connect and resemble more of a dungeon. It's your game, it's all good fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
If you just want to test characters, I highly recommend just using the first scenario instead. Random scenarios, besides the problem you now face, are also very uneven in difficulty since just about any enemy can pop up. The first scenario is a very good introduction and isn't so difficult to be frustrating.

I was wondering about this.

Since my gaming group won't be able to start the campaign until after the new year and I'll be teaching them, I recently ran a couple random dungeons to get a better feel for the rules and characters (and also to avoid too much of a sneak preview of Scenario 1). In order to keep things simple, I set up two first-level heroes with the suggested starting equipment (listed on the inside cover of the scenario book) and I got my butt handed to me every time--so badly to the point I thought I was doing something wrong and/or if this was what I should expect from regular play.

I guess it's a bit reassuring that this may not be the case, so perhaps I should break my rule and try out the first scenario anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
There really are no spoilers in the first scenario. It's just bandits in some rooms. I highly recommend running it a couple times until everyone is both familiar with the rules and with the characters themselves, so you can lock in who gets what when you start for realsies. On that same note, I also recommend setting the difficulty to 0 for the learning games, then bumping it to 1 for when you start the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
There really are no spoilers in the first scenario. It's just bandits in some rooms. I highly recommend running it a couple times until everyone is both familiar with the rules and with the characters themselves, so you can lock in who gets what when you start for realsies. On that same note, I also recommend setting the difficulty to 0 for the learning games, then bumping it to 1 for when you start the campaign.

In some ways that kinda sounds like a way to maximize the potential for success or even an attempt to "solve" the first scenario. After a few practice rounds, wouldn't you start to become so familiar with the enemy tactics that you could on some small level almost anticipate what could happen and plan accordingly?

I guess it's still a bit unpredictable based on the order in which action cards are drawn, but at the same time if I ran it on my own I'm not sure how I'd feel about walking into my group's campaign kickoff with far more strategic insight about the initial challenge than the rest of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Joou wrote:

In some ways that kinda sounds like a way to maximize the potential for success or even an attempt to "solve" the first scenario. After a few practice rounds, wouldn't you start to become so familiar with the enemy tactics that you could on some small level almost anticipate what could happen and plan accordingly?

I guess it's still a bit unpredictable based on the order in which action cards are drawn, but at the same time if I ran it on my own I'm not sure how I'd feel about walking into my group's campaign kickoff with far more strategic insight about the initial challenge than the rest of them.

First of all, everyone will eventually become familiar with enemy tactics over time, regardless of how often you play any one scenario. A lot of it is just based on the big square enemy cards, so you'll get a good sense of how fast/strong/etc each bad guy is before you even go into battle, even if you've never seen those guys before. But on top of that, you're going to be running into bandit guards, archers, and living bones on many occasions in your campaign. You'll quickly pick up on what you need to know about each enemy without repeating scenarios.

Secondly, to me, the way to maximize potential for success is simply to play. You can replay the same scenario over and over, you can push through the campaign, or you can run random scenarios with the random scenario deck. A large part of your success will stem from understanding how to utilize your character to the best of its abilities, and sync up with your teammates to play off each other as much as possible.

Oh, and if you've got experience on how to play when you kick off your groups campaign? That's very valuable. You won't have some kind of advantage other than being able to offer pointers and advice that will help the entire group. Remember, it's cooperative. There's no winning player - just a winning team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.