Subject: [Amazon] Charterstone - $46 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike A
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sold by Chewys Toy Chest, no tax (for PA at least) and Prime delivery. Will probably arrive after Christmas.

Charterstone BGG

Amazon

CamelCamelCamel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ProgenitorX wrote:
Sold by Chewys Toy Chest, no tax (for PA at least) and Prime delivery. Will probably arrive after Christmas.

Charterstone BGG

Amazon

CamelCamelCamel

Good price, but from the sorta lackluster reception I suspect this is gonna drop in the future. That and there seems to be no lack of copies of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Athex wrote:
from the sorta lackluster reception

Currently an 8.1. If it remotely holds that for 1K votes, that was the thing which use to get into the Top 100 lets say 4-5 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to MM Daily News they have 1,043 copies of Charterstone. No shortage sounds right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are lucky, this is is the next Seafall but hopefully a better game. In other words, included in lots of sales, no stock problems but still a good enough game to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, Stonemaier made a big mistake deciding to stop KS games.

I understand the implications, and that they feel retailers are the lifeblood of their business, but I disagree. Fans of their games are the lifeblood, retailers facilitate the fans. In this niche market, retailers are mainly marketing to the same base that would have bought directly through crowdfunding. It would seem that the industry(Asmodee) is hoping that retailers will grow the market, but refuse to recognize that the retail marketplace is nothing like it was even 5 years ago, and won't be the same in 5 years.

By leaving KS, they derailed the hype train that had built up so much speed. I would have backed several copies on KS had there been some incentive. Now I'll just wait for the best deal, and based on the fact that I KS games, I'm obviously fine waiting a while...

I think that publishers see their games selling for 2-3x retail in secondary markets as their fan being taken advantage of. In reality, your game selling for 3x on ebay simply adds to the hype and sells you more copies in the long run. For example, I would have never bought Gloomhaven had it simply been a success and openly available. Now, I'll instabuy asap.

100% personal opinion/conjecture, no data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have no interest in Legacy games. Even if I never play it more than the 12 times (I think) before it's used up. It's used up. And yes, I can buy a replenishment pack to play it again (or to sell it), but to me it's just completely bizarre. I know it's the in thing right now (like required apps), but hopefully the fad dies off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I just have no interest in Legacy games. Even if I never play it more than the 12 times (I think) before it's used up. It's used up. And yes, I can buy a replenishment pack to play it again (or to sell it), but to me it's just completely bizarre. I know it's the in thing right now (like required apps), but hopefully the fad dies off.

Some of the Charterstone reviews are saying it might actually a better game after it's legacy play through than during it. Might mean it's less of a throwaway game than the other legacy games so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

Unlike others charterstone is a regular worker placement game when it is done.

But seriously, hope it dies off because you don't like it? There are 100x more regular games than legacy games that come out each year; it isn't eating into your choices at all. I don't like social deduction games but I don't hope they die off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miktay811 wrote:
According to MM Daily News they have 1,043 copies of Charterstone. No shortage sounds right.

That's your indicator? 3,000 people on BGG already own this, and 4,800 have it on their wishlist. If MM had 25% of the market share they're just covering initial demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
SEMark wrote:
miktay811 wrote:

That's your indicator? 3,000 people on BGG already own this, and 4,800 have it on their wishlist. If MM had 25% of the market share they're just covering initial demand.

MM might have 25% of the board game focused online retailer market share, but even that is probably a stretch. According to every industry person I've seen willing to comment on it it's unlikely that all online sale from every store (including Amazon) together have a 25% market share.

edit

Though the number of people listed on BGG as owning something is also a very poor indicator of the total number sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Athex wrote:

Currently an 8.1. If it remotely holds that for 1K votes, that was the thing which use to get into the Top 100 lets say 4-5 years ago.

4-5 years ago, 7 of the top 10 games hadn't been published in the previous 2 years.

8.9 is the new 8.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lukewarm, forgettable game from listening to y'all here lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the game's quality and fun factor, both of which are subjective, this is currently a good deal for those interested in getting a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
matthean wrote:
Athex wrote:

4-5 years ago, 7 of the top 10 games hadn't been published in the previous 2 years.

8.9 is the new 8.0.

To be fair, I believe Stonemaier games to be a touch overrated as well. I'm tempted on this one as I'll just unlock everything after my go through and just play it that way. This is clearly going to hit 50% off though.

EDIT: We'll see about the rating and how it holds up. Much of the new in the Top 10 is rather overrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

To be fair, I believe Stonemaier games to be a touch overrated as well. I'm tempted on this one as I'll just unlock everything after my go through and just play it that way. This is clearly going to hit 50% off though.

EDIT: We'll see about the rating and how it holds up. Much of the new in the Top 10 is rather overrated.

Just a bit overrated ??? lol

If you wanna wait, I am sure the price will come down in the 30s range on a future sale soon lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SEMark wrote:
If MM had 25% of the market share they're just covering initial demand.

You are aware that BGG is not just for North Americans, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:

I understand the implications, and that they feel retailers are the lifeblood of their business, but I disagree. Fans of their games are the lifeblood, retailers facilitate the fans. In this niche market, retailers are mainly marketing to the same base that would have bought directly through crowdfunding. It would seem that the industry(Asmodee) is hoping that retailers will grow the market, but refuse to recognize that the retail marketplace is nothing like it was even 5 years ago, and won't be the same in 5 years.

By leaving KS, they derailed the hype train that had built up so much speed. I would have backed several copies on KS had there been some incentive. Now I'll just wait for the best deal, and based on the fact that I KS games, I'm obviously fine waiting a while...

I think that publishers see their games selling for 2-3x retail in secondary markets as their fan being taken advantage of. In reality, your game selling for 3x on ebay simply adds to the hype and sells you more copies in the long run. For example, I would have never bought Gloomhaven had it simply been a success and openly available. Now, I'll instabuy asap.

This summarizes some of the views I have as well. For KS projects, the backers are ultimately all mini retailers for creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
BentlyCash wrote:

This summarizes some of the views I have as well. For KS projects, the backers are ultimately all mini retailers for creators.

Having read Jamey's blogs and talked with him, I'm not really sure this accurately reflects the reasons why he moved away from Kickstarter. Also, I think he got 55,000 pre-orders for Charterstone, so it clearly didn't hurt him.

Also, having worked on Kickstarters personally, I would move away from that platform as fast as possible as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gagawolala wrote:
matthean wrote:

Just a bit overrated ??? lol

If you wanna wait, I am sure the price will come down in the 30s range on a future sale soon lol

I said rather overrated which implies more than just a bit. I consider Scythe a 6 and maybe a 7 at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalPirate wrote:
SEMark wrote:
If MM had 25% of the market share they're just covering initial demand.

You are aware that BGG is not just for North Americans, aren't you?

Of course. My point is that while a retailer sitting on 1000 units sounds like a lot, considering Stonemeier game popularity (Scythe, Viticulture, etc.) it really may not be as much as you think.

Another thing to consider is that Stonemeier opened up pre-orders at the retailer level in March or so. For all you know, these copies could all be spoken for in pre-orders. Or 90% of them.

I think it's way too early to call this game overproduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.