Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan» Forums » General

Subject: Is there much difference between the sides? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
Is there much difference in play experience between the two sides? Do they require different styles of play? Does the game favour one or the other?

(Just received this game today and boy howdy am I excited. Have to wait until Christmas before I'm allowed to play it though. ;-----;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J o d y
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
sometimes i think people let me win just so they can hear my lengthy victory speeches
mb
I think there is enough to make each feel different, but not a great deal. Yellow starts strongest at the edges of the map, and black elsewhere. It is kind of hard to answer. I think it really depends on how you decide to play.

Much of the game is the same for both sides, vp zone stuff, loyalty challenges, risk of losing battles etc. The black side iirc will generally win the 'initiative' so they can drive the action and they can have a nasty wildcard block. The yellow forces have the special mori rules which take a bit of time and sacrificing cards to get out.

Early plays i thought the black side was nearly unstoppable, but that has changed completely. I'd say black has an advantage the first 3-4 turns then it swings the other way..but am curious to hear what others will say.

Just fyi, if you are confused on some rules like movement, you could check out yucata.de and maybe look through some games played, might help you before your first play

good luck, hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations for getting/receiving the game (a very wise choice) and have fun finding out the answer to your question yourself

Yucata is a very good recommendation (BlinkyJOH) to get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Baden
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please come to Yucata. Send me a PM. The guy with most games joins most of my open invites.

UndeadScobie wrote:
Is there much difference in play experience between the two sides? Do they require different styles of play? Does the game favour one or the other?

(Just received this game today and boy howdy am I excited. Have to wait until Christmas before I'm allowed to play it though. ;-----
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Makman
msg tools
I have played 3 games, and Black seems unstoppable, but I have a plan for game 4.

Black has advantage in initiative, the Red Devils are strong, they have fewer Mon so are less likely to draw the wrong mon at the critical moments, and they have a fairly direct path from Edo to Osaka with powerful units that needs to be dealt with.

Yellow has the Mori, and is on the defensive to start as I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.