Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, So I'm finally playing this game for the first time (had been on my shelf for years) solo, and quite enjoying it. One thing I wonder about - is there any reason for the Allied player to replicate history and make an effort to liberate Brittany? There is one German unit that starts the game in Saint Brieuc. It is out of supply, and out of command range of any German HQ, so it can never be activated or used in a reaction phase (unless the German were to move a HQ in that direction, which seems rather unlikely, to say the least). Given that this one German unit apparently poses no threat to the Allied effort, and the Allies don't really need those extra supply hexes along the coast of Brittany in general (they can trace all of their supply out of Normandy, and later along the northern coast, I would think), is there really any reason whatsoever for the Allies to send any units to Brittany? At the moment, I can't think of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril TALBOT
France
CHATILLON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supply doesn't depend on the possession of ports, so Brittany is obviously a worthless piece of map here.

Beyond the combat system which is dull, this is IMHO the main flaw in the game system. Supply should depend on the capture of ports. Why did the allies send so many troops there but to increase their supply hub capacity?

I'm looking forward to reading the new rules to see if it's changed or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The German unit is sitting on a supply location, so it can be activated for a reaction point, use administrative movement, and get into the action.

For the new game, I believe he is moving to St. Nazaire and if the Allies capture the city, they get 3 extra reaction points each turn (basically, an Army activation's worth).

Likewise, the Replacement Point chart will go down by 2 on every turn (except for the initial amount) from what the 1986 game has, and if the Allies take certain ports, they go up 2 RPs - representing the V1 threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.