9 Posts

Dice Throne: Season One» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stupid question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike o
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing, my opponent wanted to know if they could downgrade an ability. They had the 3rd level of an ability and had the second before that. They wanted to downgrade the ability back to the second to recoup the CP spent.

I assured them there was nothing in the rules about it, but they insisted I ask here. So I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Negative. If you want to allow take-backs that's on you and your game group.

I'd allow a person who just upgraded but hadn't rolled to undo but once they start rolling that CP is spent and you cannot go back in time and undo moves/upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of an Upgrade Ability cards is to permanently improve an ability for the rest of the game.

I don't understand why someone would want to permanently "downgrade" an ability just for the sake of recouping 1 or 2 CP, when they could just as easily sell it during the main phase for 1 CP...

In my opinion, the reason why this isn't isn't the rules is because it goes against the spirit of what the Upgrade Ability cards purpose in the game are: To permanently improve the abilities of a character.

For the sake of argument, even if you were allowed to do so, is it worth the cost of permanently making yourself weaker and less versatile in combat?

EDIT: ninja'ed...Hello Manny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like someone had the card to make their Ultimate happen, but not enough CP to spend to play it... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Paul. I didn't think of that.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi.

industrialchild wrote:
The purpose of an Upgrade Ability cards is to permanently improve an ability for the rest of the game.

I don't understand why someone would want to permanently "downgrade" an ability just for the sake of recouping 1 or 2 CP, when they could just as easily sell it during the main phase for 1 CP...

In my opinion, the reason why this isn't isn't the rules is because it goes against the spirit of what the Upgrade Ability cards purpose in the game are: To permanently improve the abilities of a character.

For the sake of argument, even if you were allowed to do so, is it worth the cost of permanently making yourself weaker and less versatile in combat?

EDIT: ninja'ed...Hello Manny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mind_ranger wrote:
Sounds like someone had the card to make their Ultimate happen, but not enough CP to spend to play it... whistle

There are MANY TIMES I wish I had that third CP for my Twice as Wild. Many.

I still fight that internal battle of what to upgrade and when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike o
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I told my opponent what your answer was (actually copy/pasted it)

and this was their response "So an upgrade is permanent and you can never downgrade?"

sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fich wrote:
So I told my opponent what your answer was (actually copy/pasted it)

and this was their response "So an upgrade is permanent and you can never downgrade?"

sigh
"YES. YOU CAN NEVER DOWNGRADE. CAN IT PLEASE BE MY TURN NOW??"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.