Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple Concurrent Campaigns? Legacy or Campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I recently received Gloomhaven from one of my gamer friends as a wedding gift (he has good taste, and is very generous). This is a game that I know my brother and I would enjoy playing together, so I want to wait to play in a campaign with him. However, I also want to play with the friend that gifted it to me (I suspect that his motivation was not purely selfless), and I know that he and I would greatly enjoy it, as well.

Having now read most of the rules, it states that NOBODY can play a given scenario twice in campaign mode. So, is it possible to play two campaigns concurrently? Are there separate scenario paths that you can take to allow concurrent campaigns that don't overlap? Asking another way: is this a "campaign" game that has multiple sessions to it, or a "legacy" game that essentially breaks the game as it is being played (like Pandemic: Legacy, for example, in which stickers are placed on the board and cards are ripped up).

Yes, I know the obvious solution is to play a campaign with both of them together, but geographic circumstances dictate otherwise.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
First, congrats on the marriage!

But I think that with a little bit of work, you should be able to run two concurrent campaigns, if you wanted. There are a ridiculous amount of helpful files in the files section for this game, as well as apps and such that can help you stay organized. But there's a PDF version of the map where you can click on areas to reveal them (instead of using the stickers and such). There's a PDF to help keep track of road/city cards that make up the current deck or have been lost, which classes are unlocked, etc. Pretty much any "legacy" obstacle there is, you can get around if you really want. Plus, it might be fun to steer your second campaign group away from the choices you made the first time around...

Also, you don't ever rip up cards in this game - just remove them from the current set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing the same thing and using the Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker on my Android tablet has made it a cake walk to do. With it, I can easily keep track of which city events I did, which have been added to the deck, which scenarios have been done, etc. It keeps total track of every character down to the number of checkmarks for perks, gold, xp, everything.

Honestly, without it, I doubt I would be doing multiple campaigns. With it, I don't even have to shuffle the city and road decks, as it has a feature to randomly draw them for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips! This gives me hope that I don't have to shut people out, or prevent people from playing, because I'm "playing it with my other game group..."

Happy Gaming,
-Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Archon wrote:
Thanks for the tips! This gives me hope that I don't have to shut people out, or prevent people from playing, because I'm "playing it with my other game group..."

Happy Gaming,
-Ken

Well, you wouldn't with one group either, as other players joining (or making a pause as well) is no problem at all. The game is built especially for that. Only restriction is 4 player cap each scenario (and many play with 5 sometimes, adjusting with difficulty setting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a campaign game more along the lines of Descent: RtL than it is a legacy game similar to Pandemic: Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ng
msg tools
Malistar22 wrote:
I'm doing the same thing and using the Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker on my Android tablet has made it a cake walk to do. With it, I can easily keep track of which city events I did, which have been added to the deck, which scenarios have been done, etc. It keeps total track of every character down to the number of checkmarks for perks, gold, xp, everything.

Honestly, without it, I doubt I would be doing multiple campaigns. With it, I don't even have to shuffle the city and road decks, as it has a feature to randomly draw them for you.

Yeah, I think using the app is the cheapest and best way to go about it, I don't run multiple campaigns but it keeps tracks on what scenarios are available to play better than using the map.

But one thing to note though, even though using the app means you don't need to mark the board or put stickers on or do anything permanent, but you still need to spend some time between sessions to reset atacking modifier decks, shop items, remove and putting back in cards, so there's some work involve even using the app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.