9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Innes
msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently was reintroduced to broad games. A few that I like are Coup, The Resistance, Boss Monster, Champions of Midgard, Organ Attack, Odin's Ravens, Descent 2nd edition. Looking to bump up those rookie numbers. What does everyone one else suggest with what I have now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames - A team vs team game that works with small and large groups. There are many versions but play the original first.

From ye list of games with combative/take-that themes, Viral is the first game that comes to mind as being related but different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools

Its a process finding you're boardgame legs, buts here's a few games to chew on:

Seasons

Orléans

Dead of Winter: The Long Night

Viticulture Essential Edition

Quadropolis

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Roll Player

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Blood Rage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would suggest Blood Rage and maybe Raiders of the north sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptShiny wrote:
I recently was reintroduced to broad games. A few that I like are Coup, The Resistance, Boss Monster, Champions of Midgard, Organ Attack, Odin's Ravens, Descent 2nd edition. Looking to bump up those rookie numbers. What does everyone one else suggest with what I have now?

Wiewing your games I think you like ameritrash / thematic games. Also not complicated ones. But, I believe we need more information to suggest you games. What are your favorite theme? Do you want a wargame? Do you want an eurogame? For how many players? Ideal playing time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptShiny wrote:
My first recommendation is to find local gaming conventions and meetups to try lots of different games you wouldn't otherwise have access to without having to purchase them yourself.
Given a sufficient amount of experience with many different games, you will have a better idea of, and find it easier to articulate what you do and do not like in board gaming (or "broad games" if you prefer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Innes
msg tools
mbmbmb
What I like about games like Coup and The Resistance and even Sheriff of Nottingham is the deception themes. Descent feeds the RPG needs, i have been looking at Massive Darkness for the same reason. I did enjoy Tsuro, but I find it ends even quicker then Coup. I have played Game of Thrones a few times and had fun. Also looking at Zombicide and First Martians. I come from the table top end of gamimg with 40k and Malifaux. So I guess the themes I am used to are grim dark and steam punk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptShiny wrote:
What I like about games like Coup and The Resistance and even Sheriff of Nottingham is the deception themes.
You might also enjoy Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and/or Dead of Winter: The Long Night, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, and maybe A Study in Emerald
CaptShiny wrote:
Descent feeds the RPG needs, i have been looking at Massive Darkness for the same reason.
Massive Darkness is much lighter than Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), doesn't do campaign play nearly as well but does do one-shots slightly better (though many feel the game still needs a couple rules tweaks). Sword & Sorcery or Gloomhaven might be better, but heavier options.
CaptShiny wrote:
Also looking at Zombicide and First Martians.
I find Zombicide: Black Plague to be strictly better than Zombicide.
Definitely look at videos and rules threads here on the geek regarding First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, as many have complained about the quality and layout of the rules.
CaptShiny wrote:
So I guess the themes I am used to are grim dark
Chaos in the Old World was my favorite there, but loss of the license means obtaining will be expensive and difficult. Cthulhu Wars is a decent substitute game play wise, but the theme veers to Mythos. Blood Rage is a much lighter take (and I'm not as much of a fan), but easier and much less expensive; again with a different theme.
CaptShiny wrote:
and steam punk.
Planet Steam is my favorite steam punk-themed game, but it's a heavy economic euro so the theme doesn't shine through as much (I much prefer the first edition components everything except the board and box - the board could have used an additional fold, which would then have meant the box could have been half the size). I guess the "best" heavy theme steam punkish game would be Dreamwars, but I think that game needs an upgrade to the board (the definition/clarity of difference between spaces) and the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Innes
msg tools
mbmbmb
Also what's the difference between the Android Netrunner Revised Core Set and the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.