16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Brute running around rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
The brute has a couple abilities that depend upon the number of movement spent or spaces moved through...

Is there a rule against running around in a circle with my boots of striding and then getting an attack 6 (or so) with balanced measure?

What about with trample, moving to the opponent who is 2 spots away running back to my spot, and then throwing my dagger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassio Santos Pereira
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rules against "dancing in the spot" to generate movement, but be mindful that running forward and than back would not be considered moving in a straight line in my understanding (you performed a 180º turn), and if I recall correctly, that would limit the use of Trample.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Kar
msg tools
This is totally allowed. One of the Mindthief's abilities, Feedback Loop I believe, explicitly depends on this, in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hagy
United States
Mt Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
As far as I know there is no rule preventing that. At least I hope there isn't because I did it all the time with my brute

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vedarta wrote:
There are no rules against "dancing in the spot" to generate movement, but be mindful that running forward and than back would not be considered moving in a straight line in my understanding (you performed a 180º turn), and if I recall correctly, that would limit the use of Trample.

I'm pretty sure Trample doesn't require a straight line for anything, but I do know you can't 'trample' the same monster twice, which is maybe what you were meaning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Malistar22 wrote:
Vedarta wrote:

I'm pretty sure Trample doesn't require a straight line for anything, but I do know you can't 'trample' the same monster twice, which is maybe what you were meaning?

I won't be able to look up the card until later, but there is a Level 2 or higher Brute card that lets the Brute Move X Jump, where X is the amount of damage done by Brute this turn, and then Attack 2 targeting all enemies moved through IF The Move X was done in a straight line. It is functionally the same things as Trample, but trample does not have the same straight line requirement. That may be the card Vedarta is thinking of!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Malistar22 wrote:
Vedarta wrote:

There is a level 3 or 4 Brute card which relies on movement in a straight line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
DukePhoenix wrote:

I won't be able to look up the card until later, but there is a Level 2 or higher Brute card that lets the Brute Move X Jump, where X is the amount of damage done by Brute this turn, and then Attack 2 targeting all enemies moved through IF The Move X was done in a straight line.

I may be misunderstanding you, but it seems you're muddling some cards together.

Trample: Move 4, Jump, Attack 2, target all enemies moved through
Balanced Measures: Attack X, where X is the number of spaces you have moved (has the move X based on damage on bottom)
Hook and Chain: Move 4, if the movement was in a straight line, perform attack X, where x is the number of hexes you moved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
DukePhoenix wrote:

I won't be able to look up the card until later, but there is a Level 2 or higher Brute card that lets the Brute Move X Jump, where X is the amount of damage done by Brute this turn, and then Attack 2 targeting all enemies moved through IF The Move X was done in a straight line.

I may be misunderstanding you, but it seems you're muddling some cards together.

Trample: Move 4, Jump, Attack 2, target all enemies moved through
Balanced Measures: Attack X, where X is the number of spaces you have moved (has the move X based on damage on bottom)
Hook and Chain: Move 4, if the movement was in a straight line, perform attack X, where x is the number of hexes you moved

There they are - yes, coincidentally I was talking about someone else perhaps muddling cards, and then I did so myself! I did not have the cards in front of me, but basically, the original question was about Trample but thought it had the straight line condition of Hook and Chain, and I was trying to clarify. Sadly for me, I mixed it up further trying to go off memory. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vedarta wrote:

the mathematic (geometric) definition of a "line" extends in both directions, so perhaps running back and forward should count, as long as both directions were along the same straight line.
Thematically that doesn't make sense, but neither does moving back and forth for balanced measure.
Although considering the game host for my gaming group is a math professor, the "mathematical definition" argument may fly in our group. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your host is a math professor, you might want to get your terminology straight: a "line" extends to infinity, while a line "segment" is drawn between two points.

A vector is a single directional line with magnitude and direction, which I'm pretty sure is what Isaac meant.

As the poster you quoted stated: moving backwards and forwards is not really a move in a straight line, it is a line with a 180 degree bend in it (it just happens to look straight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^
|
|
|

Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're all geeks (have you checked the name of the site?); I'm also a nerd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. That was an attempt at both comedy and a compliment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely resembled that remark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
We're all geeks (have you checked the name of the site?); I'm also a nerd.

we're all geeks down here, Georgie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.