Popular Tags: [View All]
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
This dude did indeed do a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
mb
Weren't you a police officer? As it is, the thread sounds a bit disingenuous - it would seem to be designed to give passers-by the impression that you have no horse in the game. "Don't mind me! I'm just a citizen expressing my love for an institution (one with a problematic and dangerous culture of mutual support and codes of silence and that happens to pay my salary)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I knew what the baby looked like as soon as I read "opioid" instead of "drug".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love honest, kind, non-corrupt police officers who enforce the law and value the lives of citizens as high or higher than their own. Oh, and who dont execute innocent civilians and beat innocent people and charge them with getting blood on the officers uniforms while they were being beaten, who respect the constitution and our citizens constitutional rights, who don't gang up to hold a blind drunk man down in a chair and beat him until he is permanently blinded and has broken bones in his face while the sergeant or captain 8s cynically saying "stop resisting" in a cold dead voice immediately before each punch.

I also love police officers who don't stand aside and do nothing while another officer murders a citizen for illegal cigarette sales.

I also love officers who don't handcuff a suspect and throw him in the bayou to drown.

So basically the police officers portrayed in dragnet and Adam 12 and those real officers who emulate them in real life. And is L.A. Sheriff's Deputy Elton Simmons, who has never, ever received a single complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
crescent_gamer wrote:
I knew what the baby looked like as soon as I read "opioid" instead of "drug".

That really gave me pause. Another whimsical little racial marker I had not noticed before

The opioid epidemic is all about white signaling.

I don’t remember crack being a health issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
Watch "New Day" and "CNN Newsroom" each Tuesday to see inspiring stories of HR managers going above and beyond the call of duty. "I stepped out of the store with my sandwich, and I noticed these two people sitting on the grass against a cement wall." What happened next had nothing to do with her being an HR manager, but we receive a promotional consideration from the National Association of HR Organizations in exchange for attempting to rehabilitate the image of HR managers across the country, so read on for this week's example of someone doing something good and being an HR manager!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
mb
recon28501 wrote:
viclineal wrote:
Weren't you a police officer? As it is, the thread sounds a bit disingenuous - it would seem to be designed to give passers-by the impression that you have no horse in the game. "Don't mind me! I'm just a citizen expressing my love for an institution (one with a problematic and dangerous culture of mutual support and codes of silence and that happens to pay my salary)".

Still am...come ride with me one shift.

I'm sure there will be some epiphany and I'll learn all about saving puppies and loving black kids playing basketball and how tough it is to deploy unilaterally sanctioned violence, but I'm a continent over so I don't see it happening,

We do have police here, though (incredible, I know!), and I'm satisfied with my current level of experience with the police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
viclineal wrote:

Do you believe that the fraternal nature the job requires, one that asks you to place your trust fully in others around you to support you as you would support them, creates a blind spot when it comes to shootings or other encounters of a questionable nature? I ask because that's my only real issue with the police right now. The job is incredibly tough, contains an incredible amount of pressure. I know I couldn't do it. I don't have the mindset or temperament for it. But when I see issues of questionable shootings and I see 100% absolute solidarity every single time, I have to ask myself if it's realistic to expect that the officer got it right in each and every case. I suspect not, but the solidarity is there.

And that is understandable because, as I said, there's a fraternal nature to that job that goes beyond what most others require. But from the outside, it looks like that bond leads to some misplaced judgment in more than an isolated case.

Have you yourself seen anything that feels like an officer got away with something they shouldn't have? If so, what was your reaction to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
viclineal wrote:

Good. Remember WHO pays your salary and don't ignore the constitution or, break the law or, plant evidence, or refer to your fellow citizens as "civilians" as if you are not a "civilian" your self, or beat suspects or kill them. You are NOT the military. You are a civilian police officer.

Seriously- unless you are a sociopath, killing a suspect will mess you up in the head for a long time.

And keep in mind that some of us fellow civilians have voluntarily donated hundreds of dollars to your widow and survivors fund which isn't funded by the government. Tho they probably do pay a better pension than anyone I know gets in my city. But that only helps the veteran police officers, not the younger police officers with fewer years on duty.

Do not think my dislike of bad officers, and of good officers who cover up for them, means I don't value police officers who follow the law, respect our rights, and are polite, fair, and just in their enforcement of the law. My support of body cams is as much to protect police officers from false accusations as it is to protect people from bad police officers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

I do, and have done what most of you would be too afraid to do...

How very condescending of you, big statement considering you dont know any of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

It is an ugly job at times, but tie law enforcements hands, and society will not like that either.

I do, and have done what most of you would be too afraid to do...and I would even do it again, even if it meant being able to help one of you.

As much as I commend your desire to be a cop, and as much as I appreciate a good cops service, your comment here is somewhat disturbing. Making the type of presumptuous comment, about what we might or might not do, reads either of arrogance, or a chip on your shoulder, and is slightly condescending to people you don't know. This makes me wonder, if you are arrogant, or display a chip on your shoulder, or look condescendingly upon the people that you serve, and that pay your salary. I certainly hope not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

Very good questions. Yes, I feel that police officers will always support one another for the most part. When I say this, I don’t mean when an officer gets caught stealing evidence, planting drugs on someone, beating someone, or shooting someone for ABSOLUTELY no reason. In fact, most officers I know become very pissed when they witness these events, or read or hear about such. For example, in training earlier this year, the class watched a documentary about Mike Dowd. Dowd was a former NYPD Officer who was arrested for corruption. Very bad dude. EVERYONE in class couldn’t believe it and were very upset at how Dowd was glorified and making money off of his story after release from prison.

On the flip side, if an officer is involved in an incident, he or she will have the support of their fellow officer. This is no different than any other job. As far as lying or turning a blind eye...I have never witnessed this personally. Does it happen? I’m pretty sure. Do I condone it? No. What the general public fails to understand is the fact that officers have to make split second decisions. No officer will ever be 100% right on every incident, just like any other profession. With police work, the stakes are higher, often resulting in injury, life, or death. Officers sign up knowing the danger but this doesn’t mean that he or she should be sent on kamikaze missions, or expected to be a sponge for someone’s fist. Officers are paid to do a job that most people don’t want to do themselves. It is an ugly job at times, but tie law enforcements hands, and society will not like that either.

It’s like this...people like steak, but most wouldn’t like it if they had to watch the cow be butchered from start to finish. Same thing with law enforcement. Society wants to be safe, but society wants police to wear nice soft silk gloves. It doesn’t work that way. Sorry.

Folks, go ahead and bash me...call me ignorant, point out my grammar and spelling errors. It’s all good. I do, and have done what most of you would be too afraid to do...and I would even do it again, even if it meant being able to help one of you.

Hope I answered your question.

oh for god's sake, why don't you say how you really feel?

Quote:
recon28501Col Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, RSP Liberals? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for black lives, and you curse Police Officers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that a few black american's deaths, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall not wearing silk gloves -- you need me on that wall.

We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something besides young black males. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

One of the big problems with this country's police force is too many young kids inspired by Dirty Harry movies being allowed on the police force.

Other modern countries do NOT EXECUTE THEIR UNARMED, INNOCENT CITIZENS. An they don't execute their suspects guilty of drunken disorderly behavior at near the rates we do. We have a problem in the U.S. Bad Training- including now banned training programs that taught our police officers to be murderers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
recon28501 wrote:

Very good questions. Yes, I feel that police officers will always support one another for the most part. When I say this, I don’t mean when an officer gets caught stealing evidence, planting drugs on someone, beating someone, or shooting someone for ABSOLUTELY no reason. In fact, most officers I know become very pissed when they witness these events, or read or hear about such. For example, in training earlier this year, the class watched a documentary about Mike Dowd. Dowd was a former NYPD Officer who was arrested for corruption. Very bad dude. EVERYONE in class couldn’t believe it and were very upset at how Dowd was glorified and making money off of his story after release from prison.

On the flip side, if an officer is involved in an incident, he or she will have the support of their fellow officer. This is no different than any other job. As far as lying or turning a blind eye...I have never witnessed this personally. Does it happen? I’m pretty sure. Do I condone it? No. What the general public fails to understand is the fact that officers have to make split second decisions. No officer will ever be 100% right on every incident, just like any other profession. With police work, the stakes are higher, often resulting in injury, life, or death. Officers sign up knowing the danger but this doesn’t mean that he or she should be sent on kamikaze missions, or expected to be a sponge for someone’s fist. Officers are paid to do a job that most people don’t want to do themselves. It is an ugly job at times, but tie law enforcements hands, and society will not like that either.

It’s like this...people like steak, but most wouldn’t like it if they had to watch the cow be butchered from start to finish. Same thing with law enforcement. Society wants to be safe, but society wants police to wear nice soft silk gloves. It doesn’t work that way. Sorry.

Folks, go ahead and bash me...call me ignorant, point out my grammar and spelling errors. It’s all good. I do, and have done what most of you would be too afraid to do...and I would even do it again, even if it meant being able to help one of you.

oh for god's sake, why don't you say how you really feel?

Quote:
recon28501Col Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, RSP Liberals? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for black lives, and you curse Police Officers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that a few black american's deaths, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall not wearing silk gloves -- you need me on that wall.

We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something besides young black males. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

Man you are really caught up on letting people know that you donate money. Can you tell us again just how much you pay out?

Classic deflection.

But 600 to 800 bucks at this point in answer to your questions.

No read your post above so you can see how you were all but parroting the speech from a movie above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wait... you came to a board whose purpose is discussion of sex, religion, and politics and you are upset by liberals confronting conservative posts?

Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
Not classic reflection, just that I don’t care to read a quote from another thread from some conversation I know nothing about.

Yes, it was classic deflection and avoidance.

You basically said you ignore the constitution and the law flat out up above. "No wearing of silk gloves". I.e. Who cares about things like civil rights, following police procedures, and the law. You've made a little tin god out of yourself according to your own words.

If you really are a police officer, you are probably heading down a bad path and should be benched in the office filling out paperwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:

It is an ugly job at times, but tie law enforcements hands, and society will not like that either.

I do, and have done what most of you would be too afraid to do...and I would even do it again, even if it meant being able to help one of you.

As much as I commend your desire to be a cop, and as much as I appreciate a good cops service, your comment here is somewhat disturbing. Making the type of presumptuous comment, about what we might or might not do, reads either of arrogance, or a chip on your shoulder, and is slightly condescending to people you don't know. This makes me wonder, if you are arrogant, or display a chip on your shoulder, or look condescendingly upon the people that you serve, and that pay your salary. I certainly hope not.

Yet you and your cronies, attack all conservatives, police officers, and anyone with a different opinion, without knowing anything about the individual.

If you post a comment on a forum, then expect people to question it, I would have thought that was understood before doing so. If you want to call questioning it as "attacking" then maybe forums are'nt the place for a delicate flower like yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

Keep it coming fellas. I’m off until the first of the year.

Pretty much sums up your attitude, "lets go rile up some libs"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:

Yet you and your cronies, attack all conservatives, police officers, and anyone with a different opinion, without knowing anything about the individual.

Dude, that chip is showing. No one is attacking you for being a conservative, or a cop, or for having a different opinion, they are attacking your reasoning behind your posts. I think you are showing a paranoid complex, and are unable to tell the difference between personal attacks, and attacks on your commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:

Dude, that chip is showing. No one is attacking you for being a conservative, or a cop, or for having a different opinion, they are attacking your reasoning behind your posts. I think you are showing a paranoid complex, and are unable to tell the difference between personal attacks, and attacks on your commentary.

What is my reasoning behind my post? A police officer did a noble deed and I wanted to point it out. Is that not cool?

I am not questioning your reasoning for posting, just your comments after the OP. You seem to be taking the "lib" comments personally, like they are some attack on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
recon28501 wrote:

What is my reasoning behind my post? A police officer did a noble deed and I wanted to point it out. Is that not cool?

I am not questioning your reasoning for posting, just your comments after the OP.
. That was a different post my friend.

Yes, I realized it and changed my post, see above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How trumpian of you.

In that spirit, I won't call you a danger to be on the streets for some of the opinions you expressed above.

whistle

As for your OP. Except for the context of everything else you've said in this and two other threads- it's great. I'm glad a civilian helped a police officer (even tho he technically broke multiple laws (and he's lucky she didn't shoot and kill him as he approached to help).

I also like the one where the inmates broke out of their cell to save the police officer having a heart attack. (Tho I was disappointed in the ingratitude of the police afterwards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

Today's cops are pussies. Cops didn't use to be afraid to tussle. Now they pull out their guns at the slightest sign of resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.npr.org/2016/12/08/504718239/military-trained-po...

We need more combat vets as cops. They aren't as jumpy as the civilian cops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Today's cops are pussies. Cops didn't use to be afraid to tussle. Now they pull out their guns at the slightest sign of resistance.

Let’s see if someone jumps on this guy’s generalization.

He's right, though. You just don't see these levels of cops murdering people anywhere else in the first world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
How trumpian of you.

In that spirit, I won't call you a danger to be on the streets for some of the opinions you expressed above.

whistle

As for your OP. Except for the context of everything else you've said in this and two other threads- it's great. I'm glad a civilian helped a police officer (even tho he technically broke multiple laws (and he's lucky she didn't shoot and kill him as he approached to help).

I also like the one where the inmates broke out of their cell to save the police officer having a heart attack. (Tho I was disappointed in the ingratitutde of the police afterwards).

Guess you didn’t care to show me where I admitted to violating the constitution and the law?

oh.. you only alluded strongly to it with your silk glove post. nothing provable... of course. But your statement had notable parallels to the speech from "A few good men."

I don't expect you to wear silk gloves. I expect you to respect the law and the constitution and treat the public with respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.