8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: (Potentially a) New Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all! With the new starter and faction packs coming out, I'm thinking of giving STAW a whirl!

Is there any reason to get the "old" starter, since a new one is coming out? Is there a point in getting any of the older ships, or should I focus on the new stuff coming out post-new rules/starter set?

Just curious as to the "best" way to get started.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The already released ships are fully compatible with the new rules. If you see any deals on the "old stuff" I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

In terms of the Starter Sets I would just wait a week more and get the new Starter Set. If you buy the old Starter Set you will need to download the new rules that have been released by WK. If you wait for the new Starter Set you will get a hardcopy of the new rules.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed: wait for the new starter, but take any good deals you see as well. (Assuming you're in the US, and might expect to get the new starter next week. If you were in the UK, and having to wait until February-ish, it might be a different story.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omega Om
msg tools
I personally would buy the old starter set now.
You get 3 older ships and all the templates for $32 canadian.

You would probably need 2 starter sets anyway to get all the extra dice and templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yager
msg tools
mb
I would pick up an "old" starter set, if you can find one. The Enterprise-D can fire at range 2 in a 360 arc, the new ships can't, but, it cost more points. Also, the Picard in the "old" starter set is the bets in the game. He can perform 2 actions every turn, the new version can't. There are several other cards in that set that you will like as well. It doesn't hurt to have extra dice, movement templates and range finder. QAPLA'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with the others the old starter is decent and all the cards work in the current system. You also get one of the best captains in the game in the forum of Picard 9 (free action and high skill).

Check out this link and browse to the very bottom of the list and you can find the old core starter set and you can see the cards that are in it.
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/set-viewer.html

the onyl major downside is you would end up with 2 Enterprise D's, as a unqiue named ship you can only field one version at a time in a list.

it is good for the Klingons as it would net you a second Vor'cha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget the original Starter Set, read this review and see why the new Starter Set is "better" ...

http://www.figures.com/2017/12/19/advance-review-wizkids-sta...

P.S.
Just kidding, all the sets both old and new are great. If I was starting out today I would definitely go with everything new unless there was a compelling reason to buy the original sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
I wouldn't bother with the old starter set.

Theoretically, the old cards are compatible with the new system. But practically, many of them are not: They cost too much SP or there is a strictly better variant already out there. A prime example would be the Photon Torpedoes upgrade.

For a new player, it can be challenging to sort out such unplayable cards. Also, it might be confusing to have cards with the new anatomy (new symbols, texts etc.) and cards with the old one.

If you are unsure, watch one of the reviews. If you see cards that you love, go get the set for a reasonable price. Also more dice are always nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.