Subject: Favorite Deck Combinations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning - Wall of text. This is what happens when I'm bored and have nothing to do. I start rambling about games.

I've only played a game and a half of this so far (plus a game of the old pnp) but of the characters available there is one in particular that I'm really digging and that's Severina. The more I play card games the more I like control decks or decks that take away options from the opponent and with a little help Severina can do this quite well.

The way I've built the deck it is quite heavy on the Trash keyword. The idea being to inflict Cripple on the opponent. If I have the power dice I can follow this up with Killer Snap and if I don't opt instead for a throw combo.

The card packs I've chosen are:

Soft - Pain
Soft - Counter
Wrestle - Grapple
Wrestle - Lock

I went as heavy on Trash as I could. Severina has some decent access to trash in her kit to start with but some of it can be tricky to land or can't be used until mid to late game. Telepathic Touch is amazing and possible my favorite character specific card in the game. I don't imagine I'll ever be unhappy to see this card in hand (unless I'm in a mirror match and Severina has trashed me down to that one card). Psionic Slash can do some work but it either requires a heavy expenditure of dice or jumping above the opponent and them unlikely to have a move that hits directly above them (this can be set up safer with Her unique ability [UA]). Her block can help a surprising amount in the Trash game as well.

Severina needs more Trash if she's going to hope to cripple her opponent. Enter Pain:

Pressure Point Punch - Nothing really to dislike about this card. It has great speed, Trash 1 on hit and it can be used in any stance.

Vicious Wristlock - Another solid card. It's a throw with good speed and Trash 2.

Painful Closer - This pack is just great. Here's is another card that will likely have Trash 1-2 on it (at least in this deck). Can also hit out to range 2.

Ruthless - A mode that is really worth getting into play. Lets you reroll dice AFTER cards are flipped if you have more cards in hand then your opponent (shouldn't be a problem in this deck because it doesn't combo much).

I like this next pack because it rewards an aspect of simultaneous reveal games that I enjoy quite a bit. Counter is all about being right, if you're right you can get a big dice advantage on your opponent because you will have to spend less dice in order to win the speed battle. However, since this deck is weak on movement and Counter doesn't contribute directly to the main game plan it would be the first pack to be swapped out if this deck is found to be too weak vs high mobility fighters.

Counter Punch - Can be used in all three stances, while standing it hits fighters directly above you, and it is speed 10 vs grabs and good speed vs everything else.

Stopping Kick - Can be used in all three stances, can hit at range two, and is speed 9 vs move cards. This will help quite a bit vs high mobility characters.

Volte Face - My lack of experience makes me uncertain on this card. It seems like it can be great vs mobile characters or Chi fighters that want to get away from you. Or it could just be too situational for this deck to do anything.

Surprise Grab - Speed 9 vs the most common card type in the game, seems good. Chain 1 on hit into Telepathic Touch into Pressure Point Punch could be a thing.

Lock continues what Pain started.

Bodylock Takedown - a throw that hits out to range two? a super rarity. Although it only hits if you're the same stance as your opponent (minus jumping). Also Trash 2 and Knockdown. Trash 2 is absurd on this and I'm discovering the power of Knockdown (initiative is great, so stealing it is phenomenal) This all comes in a solid speed 5 package.

Head Clinch - A throw in the same pack as Bodylock Takedown that has even better hit confirm. Has Trash 1 and Chain 1 so can combo well into any other Trash card. Also still at speed 5.

Crippling Vise - At speed 1 this is going to be tricky to land. Will probably only see play when/if the opponent is Crippled and it's guaranteed to land. If the opponent is Cripple it starts a super combo. Which will Cripple the opponent again creating a serious Cripple loop.

Hand Claw - Works in all stances, when standing hits opponents directly above you, and is Speed 6. A really versatile card to start with but gives any follow up throw a speed 2 bonus. Comboing into Mental Domination just became a thing.

Grapple was mainly included not because it fit the deck super well but because it was the best of what was left. Even having said that it might only be half true because it has some cards that compliment the deck well.

Solid Grapple - Kind of standard throw card (the name is very apt). Gives the deck more access to Knockdown and damage. Fits in nicely

Quick Grab - another middle of the road throw. Good speed and Chain 1. It does its job.

Forward Lunge - helps mitigate the big mobility weakness of this deck. Combos into throws very nicely hello again Mental Domination. Decent advance value of 2 as well.

Intimidation - This card is great, it lets you get around the one weakness of having the initiative. Making the opponent perform their command first sets up some strong plays. You can set up the Killer Snap more easily (opponent can't just walk away from you), it also allows Severina to keep 100% hand information even while having the initiative. Works really well for Severina.

Deck composition (including character cards):

Throws - 10
Strikes - 7
Modes - 3
Blasts - 1
Moves - 1

I am concerned that the Cripple Loop is maybe too strong. Once that thing gets started it seems incredibly hard to break. Hopefully when playing against an experienced opponent it will be hard enough to get started in the first place to make up for that fact.

Even if you can't set up the Cripple Loop Severina's UA is quite good. Getting all that hand info plus more dice is amazing. In a tournament setting Severina can use her UA turn 1 and instantly know every card in the opponents deck. Though every UA seems to be pretty nutty in its own way. I will be hanging up Severina for a bit, unfortunately, while my opponent gets a better handle on the game (while she did enjoy the game it turns out discarding lots of cards isn't an enjoyable experience if you don't know how to play around it).

I can't decide who I'll play next though. I'm leaning toward either Ranveer or Mbiraru.

Ranveer's UA seems especially powerful. For those who didn't like the two double blind reveals of this game Ranveer seems like the character for you. Looking at the opponent's face down card before dice are chosen just makes Ranveer so efficient in his dice economy. He will know when he can get away with fewer dice, when to go all in, and when a card is a lost cause.

Ranveer gets especially powerful when he has the initiative. Seeing the opponents action just takes the initiative to power level 9,000. He can step back or jump or crouch, or whatever to make the opponent's attack completely whiff allowing him to only spend one dice on the attack and still win the reveal.

Since Ranveer is so good with the initiative I've tried to make a deck that is good at getting the initiative. The deck I'm going to try out with him is:

Hard - Knockdown
Soft - Combo
Soft - Denial
Fluid - Rush

This deck gives Ranveer a ton of Knockdown, some good movement/gap closers, has some decent range for a melee fighter, and it has no modes in its card packs which is nice because Ranveer has four modes baked into his kit.

I'm a big fan of Mbiraru's character card (his allowed packs + UA) and will probably end up playing him next. His UA gives him so much flexibility. He can kneel and still move 1, getting him dice and board position. He can Shift and move 2, getting him cards and good board position. Or he can leap, getting himself all the board position.

I'm not really sure which card packs to take with Mbiraru but for now I'm going to try these:

Soft - Precise
Wrestle - Throw
Wrestle - Choke
Chi - Yang

Precise gives him good speeds and even more movement (plus a killer mode), Light Kick is especially appealing because of its range. Throw can be used to create space which Mbiraru can close or not at his leisure. Throw can also be used to push the opponent into the nastiest projectile in the game (Hunting Roar). Choke gives some dice denial, but am extremely uncertain how useful it will be for Mbiraru. Yang rounds out the kit giving him access to lots of Energize. I like Yang with Mbiraru because it lets him get more dice advantage over the opponent, which is something he was already good at. Kneeling and then moving forward to hit with Overloading Grasp or Power Punch is a nice amount of dice gain.

I'm pretty uncertain about which cards compliment Mbiraru well. I like his character kit a lot, Spear Kick is great, Hunting Roar is dirty good, and he's got a sweet block that compliments him very nicely. This one will probably take the most plays to get it right.

I'm planning on doing a review at some point in the future for this game. Just need to get a lot more games played.

what characters and pack combinations do you like and have found effective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same thoughts as you regarding Severina. Her default packs are not particularly good. Pain, Lock, and Counter seem practically made for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I had the exact same thoughts as you regarding Severina. Her default packs are not particularly good. Pain, Lock, and Counter seem practically made for her.

Yeah her recommended packs don’t work with her kit particularly well. Probably because for the Super and Turbo characters they didn’t want to recommend any packs that didn’t come in the box set. Probably should have swapped her out for an expansion character that works better with the base set packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better, maybe, but also a predictable one trick poney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One trick maybe, but it's a darn good one. I haven't played that configuration with Severina, because I'm still teaching new players the game and I don't want to discourage them. No one likes being shut completely down like that.

I find that a lot of the defaults for the characters are less that ideal.

Ying Pei is much better off with wrestle throw than wrestle choke. It helps him maintain the distance he likes to have.

Aya benefits from fluid rush more than fallback. Probably velocity as well rather than aerial or acrobatic. (I haven't played as her yet, but I've played against her)

As far as defaults go, Faris' kit works pretty well out of the box. El Falcon's does too, but I'm not sure if he really needs wrestle throw or if he'd be better off with another one.

I have a lot of experimenting to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I haven't been able to play yet, I'm looking at a Kassi Knockdown/Stun focused deck.

Love that she can keep going and if she has her personal mode out she can drain them while knocking them down, and keep dice pools relatively equal. Stun knocks out what they have in energy pool while drain puts lost hp into burnout instead of the energy pool.

But until I can play at least a few games I can't be sure.

themanfromsaturn wrote:
One trick maybe, but it's a darn good one. I haven't played that configuration with Severina, because I'm still teaching new players the game and I don't want to discourage them. No one likes being shut completely down like that.

I find that a lot of the defaults for the characters are less that ideal.

Ying Pei is much better off with wrestle throw than wrestle choke. It helps him maintain the distance he likes to have.

Aya benefits from fluid rush more than fallback. Probably velocity as well rather than aerial or acrobatic. (I haven't played as her yet, but I've played against her)

As far as defaults go, Faris' kit works pretty well out of the box. El Falcon's does too, but I'm not sure if he really needs wrestle throw or if he'd be better off with another one.

I have a lot of experimenting to do.

I will agree with this one. But non ideal starter decks encourage experimenting. What I think they were going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrestle choke and chi external work awesome for Kasi. I don't think wrestle throw is all that great for her, so I think swapping it out for grapple is best. Grapple seems like an all-round good wrestling style, probably more useful than crush or throw for her. I don't think she particularly needs chi yin, since she doesn't tend to do long combos, so I'd keep wave.

That's just my assessment. Your results may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am loving that thread, looking forward to all of you experimenting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played some games with Mbiraru and I changed up the deck. Ended up going with:

Soft - Assault
Wrestle - Throw
Wrestle - Press
Chi - External

This give Mbiaru a lot of flexibility in play which is good because he’s equally good with all the commands.

Press is really good if you plan on spending much time Leaping (though I’m quite baffled why Press is a recommended pack for El Falcon). It has the only grabs that can be used while Jumping.

Assault has good reach and deals good damage. Aerial Flurry is especially good for Mbiraru allowing him to engage with an opponent that started the turn six spaces away.

Swapped in External because I wanted more fireballs. I’m also a big fan of Blasts that only move one space a turn (especially when they deal 3 damage), the slow pace of the blast gives a lot of control. Point Blank Grab into Hunting Roar has a good chance of being the game.

What is the story on Hunting Roar? This has got to be the strongest card in the game. Just Cripple and Daze the opponent on damage? Sure, why not, lol. It is also one of the few cards that get a boost from power dice that is still good with out power dice. Hunting Roar moving across the board at one space a turn is going to be terrifying for the opponent to deal with.

themanfromsaturn wrote:
Wrestle choke and chi external work awesome for Kasi. I don't think wrestle throw is all that great for her, so I think swapping it out for grapple is best. Grapple seems like an all-round good wrestling style, probably more useful than crush or throw for her. I don't think she particularly needs chi yin, since she doesn't tend to do long combos, so I'd keep wave.

That's just my assessment. Your results may vary.

I think the idea behind Throw for Kasi is it has three grabs with Knockdown on it which she can follow up with a fast moving Blast. She can also use the style to help her put the opponent in the corner.

I do like the idea of Crush with her because she can combo into their high damage grabs more easily then other fighters.

Agreed about Choke and External. Kasi’s focus is on Knockdown but for some reason I want her to have a dual focus with Stun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those are valid points about throw. Kasi can also be played as a middle range fighter and use throw to keep close fighters at bay.

Press seems like a mismatch for El Falcon. I think crush might be the way to go with him.

Any thoughts on Victoria? Combo, pain and internal all seem good for her, but I'm torn between precise and assault for her third soft style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I’m a big fan of Crush on El Falcon. Giving those high damage throws a strong Jumping hit box is good stuff.

I haven’t given a whole lot of thought to Victoria yet. I like her character specific cards but I generally don’t play the combo heavy characters in these types of games.

However, Combo seems like a must for her. Pain is always tempting for fighters with access to Soft packs and Painful Closer could be insane with her. Since she is so good with Move actions I’d be tempted to take Combo, Denial, and Precise for her soft packs. Denial might not jell super well but it gives her some interesting tools. Denial would definitely be first on the chopping block and would probably switch Pain into its place. Victoria would be spending quite a few cards and making the opponent lose some cards as well would be quite beneficial.

For her Blast pack I really, really like Yin. Extra card draw has so much value for Victoria and it has a Move action. And what a Move action it is. It’s on the slower side for Moves but If it wins combat it will do everything in the world Victoria would want a card to do. Also if you take the Denial pack Rotating Grab into Keen Move into a one blast value Phantom Shurikens can set you up for a strong follow up turn. Yin’s other cards work well for her too.

Depending on your playstyle I could see Wave, Bombard, or Internal doing work as well.

Took me awhile to post back because your post made me want to research Victoria, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be irrational, but the internal move that lets you catch blasts and absorb their power is too hype for me to pass up, and the move that lets you swap places with a blast is pretty amazing too. I like the way the trash effects in internal synergies with the ones in her character cards and the pain style. She can cripple as well as Severina can, and while she can't get he full advantage of that by looking at their cards the way Severina can, Victoria's stupidly high priority and crazy range tricks Gives her a broader toolbox.

One reason to keep press with el Falcon is body press. That little bit of extra advancing can really come in handy. But the mighty mode in crush is probably too good not to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Strike is a good move. It’s secondary effect could come up huge in certain mu. Even if its effect isn’t applicable to a mu its speed, damage, and hitboxes are all still good. So always a solid card. Chi Displacement is cool. Has some great synergy with Phanton Shurikens because one blast would still be left after the swap.

I’d still give a big edge to Severina in the Cripple department. Victoria’s character cards that Trash aren’t as good as Severina’s. Victoria has Energy Kunai at Trash 1 and Spiffing Kick, which doesn’t really come online until she has some power dice.

Severina has Telepathic Touch at Trash 2, Psionic Slash at Trash: damage (three damage base), and once she has power dice she has Mental Domination for Trash: Power. On top of that she has Fatal Atraction to make Trash more painful and Her block has some good Trash power as well. Plus she has access to Wrestle Packs so she can take Lock which as a ton of Trash.

I think Victoria is the second best Trasher but with her I think the point of Trash is so she doesn’t fall too far behind on cards while Severina is actively trying to cripple the opponent. Though it isn’t impossible to Victoria to Cripple the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're spot on- Crippling the opponent is Severina's jam. For Victoria, it's one gimmick of many. She causes them to bleed cards as quickly as she combos, and in the late game, when she has access to spiffing kick, she can cripple effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game as Ren and a couple as Faris.

I like the idea of Ren but wanted to play him as more of a defensive Ryu then the aggressive Ryu that is recommended. I went with:

Hard - Push
Hard - Knockdown
Chi - Bombard
Chi - Wave

The idea was to keep the enemy away and have as many blasts as possible. This is why Yang wasn’t included. While it is an amazing pack for Ren (two actions with Energize 2 and a Mode that works better for him then his built in mode) it only has one blast action and, in terms of priority, it is a slower one.

Wave and Bombard give him four blasts in total and all at speed six. Another good point in the combo is that they are evenly split between ground and air blasts, blast value 2 and 3, and two of the actions have repeat 1 for some extra damage and help him in the Chi vs Chi match ups. Chi Spike from Bombard works particularly well for this Ren playstyle.

Strikes - 10 Grabs - 2 Blasts - 5 Moves - 4 Modes - 1

I think Faris might be my new favorite or at the least second favorite character (I’ve only played four different characters so far). It’s pretty impressive that he is in the running for favorite character for me because Hard is my second least favorite pack followed by Fluid as my least favorite pack and that is all Faris has access too.

The main reason I like Faris is because his UA and his Block. He’s got some cool character actions as well. I think his block is one of the strongest in the game. Being able to jump and block mean most opponents are going to have to beat you on speed (instead of auto grabbing you). In addition to that it really aids his playstyle because he is able to constantly jump around and still essentially get the benefits of crouch and shift. Jumping around and playing a block/strike mixup is pretty strong for him.

The Funny thing about Faris’ kit is that even though his block is strong his complete lack of grabs, at best very few grabs, means the opponents block gets stronger because Faris also has to beat their block on speed.

His Special character actions (Special = character cards that don’t require power dice) are especially solid. Lightning Kick’s at least Stun 3 is amazing, as long as the opponent has the dice to lose (which is likely in the mid to late game). Coup De Pied Figure is crazy fast for a two damage attack with the standard Faris Stun 1 on damage.

For packs I chose:

Hard - Overpower
Hard - Brawl
Fluid - Acrobatic
Fluid - Aerial

Brawl seems like the standard all around good Hard pack. It’s got decent speed for the damage has a good Move card. A good fit for Faris I think. Overpower helps him put on the pressure and corner the opponent. Pressing Punch is especially attractive for Faris. Either way all these strikes these packs bring to the deck become much more impressive with Damage: Stun 1 added to them.

Acrobatic and Aerial just reward Faris for being in the air which is where I want him to be anyway. Butterfly Kick out of Aerial is probably my favorite card out of these two packs. Gives him some nice range, lets him use any command he wants in the proceeding phase. Aerial has one of the better Modes for Faris.

Before playing Faris I thought the Stun pack was going to be an auto incude but it doesn’t work all that well for him. Only one of the offensive actions can be used while Jumping, Head Smash doesn’t work any better for Faris then it does for other fighters (though it would give me a single Grab action for the deck). On the up side Slap Kick is a great attack if it wins combat and Wreck is potentially an amazing Mode for him. I might be wrong about the Stun pack but it seems better for Alberdus or Khublai. Opponents will probably be more likely to try and jump over these dangerous grapplers to get away from them and then they can actually make use of Knockout Punch’s Stun effect.

Strikes - 14 Moves - 4 Modes - 4
While my love for grapplers makes me cringe at no throws in this game they aren’t necessary as long as you can win on speed. That many Strikes makes Faris happy, anytime he deals damage it will have Stun 1.

themanfromsaturn wrote:
I think you're spot on- Crippling the opponent is Severina's jam. For Victoria, it's one gimmick of many. She causes them to bleed cards as quickly as she combos, and in the late game, when she has access to spiffing kick, she can cripple effectively.

This post is very different then I remember it being but I can get behind this statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluid has grown on me quite a bit once I learned to appreciate the strength of move actions.

As Faris I'd like to have at least a couple grabs, but I'd never lead with them, only combo into them from move actions after seeing the enemy block.

Being able to block and jump is definitely great. I like his kit out of the box.

Yeah, as for my comment I originally said something else, but then I really considered what you were saying and decided you were making a good point, so I retracted my argument. No need to make a thing out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get what you’re saying s out Fluid. It’s more that it’s just not my preferred playstyle then thinking they’re weak or anything like that.

What deck do you like to run with Faris? With Fluid and Hard packs getting throws is difficult at best. I agree that his base kit is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played him once, against mbiraru. I used the defaults, and won.

One thing to remember is there's more than one way through a block- You can do high low mix ups, or attack from directly overhead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.