Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the relationship between the geek rating - which provides the ranking of a game, and its type? More precisely why, does Gloomhaven currently have a higher geek rating in the thematic ranking list than Pandemic legacy season 1, yet Pandemic has the higher overall geek rating and rank.

So why do these two games have two different geek ratings/rank in the two lists, overall and thematic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
What is the relationship between the geek rating - which provides the ranking of a game, and its type? More precisely why, does Gloomhaven currently have a higher geek rating in the thematic ranking list than Pandemic legacy season 1, yet Pandemic has the higher overall geek rating and rank.

So why do these two games have two different geek ratings/rank in the two lists, overall and thematic?

The BGG wiki page Ratings may help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is that the general overall rating partly is dependent of the number of ratings, and so is the Thematic subdomain geek rating, but those numbers are less for the subdomain. So the overall geekrating moves more slowly than the swifter subdomain rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its still not clear to me, and that BGG page on ratings does not explain anything about my question. How does the subdomain ranking work, if its based on user ratings, and each person can only give one? Can I decide to give a game a different rating based on its subdomain? If so, how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
Its still not clear to me, and that BGG page on ratings does not explain anything about my question. How does the subdomain ranking work, if its based on user ratings, and each person can only give one? Can I decide to give a game a different rating based on its subdomain? If so, how?

The original question ...
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
More precisely why, does Gloomhaven currently have a higher geek rating in the thematic ranking list than Pandemic legacy season 1, yet Pandemic has the higher overall geek rating and rank.

A quote from the end of the wiki page, linked earlier.
Wiki page on Ratings wrote:
Note that the number of "dummy" ratings apparently depends on the total number of ratings. This explains the apparent "paradox" (often asked in the forums, e.g. here) of why game X is higher ranked than game Y overall, but game Y is higher ranked than game X in subdomain Z.

but also note this from the same wiki page
Wiki page on Ratings wrote:
(There are many threads from people asking about or trying to figure out the details, but they are intentionally undocumented.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected, thank you.

So its a big secret. Hmmmmmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
More precisely why, does Gloomhaven currently have a higher geek rating in the thematic ranking list than Pandemic legacy season 1, yet Pandemic has the higher overall geek rating and rank.

A quote from the thread linked on the wiki page:
Werbaer wrote:
For ranking calculation, there is a number of average dummy votes added to the real votes. This number is tied to the total number of votes.
The subdomains have a lower total number of votes than the geek as a whole, therefor less dummy votes get added.

So as a result, the general ranking favours games with a high number of user votes, while the subdomain rankings favour games with a high raw average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.