9 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: Uneventful beasts (beasts tokens without Events) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This isn't the most formed idea, so bear with me...

I have a couple of friends who are quite new to the game, so I don't want to have them deal with Events for the first half dozen or so games, the game is plenty complicated already.

However, I also don't want to take out all the power cards that reference Disease, Wilds, Strife and Beasts. For the first three it's fine, they get played by cards, they do what they normally do, no problem. The issue is Beasts, which don't do anything in particular when there are no Event cards. So I was looking for a simple rule for what Beasts tokens (such as might get played by powers or wrangled by Sharp Fangs) could DO.

The best I came up with was...
When a land Ravages, beasts fight like Dahan, dealing and taking 2 damage. However, unlike Dahan they strike simultaneously with the invaders.

This means they have some value in that they can kill things, and will pretty much always take something with them, but they also tend to die fairly often. You will also generally kill them before the Dahan, which makes sense. This makes beasts into slow, kind of unreliable killers, which is what the Event cards roughly make them.

Anyway, any thoughts or better ideas appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might slightly up-power beasts, but it sounds simple and not unreasonable.

Just to note, all the expansion cards have a symbol identifying them, so if you DO want to pull them all out, it is pretty easy to do.

I think not using events for the first few games is probably a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played without events and with beasts no problem, there are actually quite a few cards that make beasts do damage not to mention the Spirit dedicated to them. In all honesty though man I'd remove it all for the first game it's super overwhelming what with blight cards and Adversary already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on generally taking out expansion materials if almost all the players are new. If (eg) there's only one new player, then the tokens are fine--you just need the knowledge distributed around the table.

I also agree that Beasts are a little underpowered without the Events to boost them. My immediate reaction to your variant is that it's a little too powerful. (You also need to decide if Beasts or the Dahan take damage first.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find, unless I'm playing with Sharp Fangs, that Beasts tend to never be in the right place to use to full effect. Something like "After damage dealt to the land and Dahan is resolved, each Beast deals an Invader (or Dahan) 1 damage" could be thematic and useful.

I also find I like using the expansion Blight Cards, even if I'm not using the expansion itself. There's only, like, one that references the new tokens, I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was curious about the effects of Beasts and took a look at the event deck:

Out of 26 events:

* 3 have beasts deal 2 damage (and be destroyed if this destroys a town or city)
* 5 kill an explorer or do 1 damage
* 5 give a fear if invaders are present
* 4 (some of which are the same as cards above) add a beast to a land without one
* 2 add a beast to each board
* And there's "A Strange Madness Amongst the Beasts", which potentially has beasts doing 2 damage and destroying an invader, and being moved around, but also can cost energy and destroy Dahan.

So, it looks kind of like beasts average about 1/2 a damage per turn and about 1/5 a fear per turn. So 2 damage per ravage is high. On the other hand, where that one damage is can be pretty important; we often manage to have beasts eat explorers that are about to build, preventing a town from popping up.

Just something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
I also find I like using the expansion Blight Cards, even if I'm not using the expansion itself. There's only, like, one that references the new tokens, I think?

Just to note, the expansion Blight cards are much "nicer" than the original Blight cards; the original blight cards cost you presence every turn, while the expansion blight cards just tend to hit you once. This is counterbalanced by the event deck occasionally costing you presence if the land is blighted. It tends to average to once a turn, but you usually lose a few every few turns instead of just one per turn.

Nothing wrong with using the expansion cards though; just something to keep in mind. We don't use the original set cards when playing with events, as that would be extra brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just like having more variety!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey
msg tools
We have tinkered with a few different ideas:

1) Fearful beasts. Any time a beast is added to the board, 1 fear. +1 fear if the land had invaders.

This rule was very simple and encouraged us to get them on the board, but didn't use them much. It worked fine.

2) Savage beasts. If a beast is added to a land with invaders, 1 fear. During the spirit phase, a spirit may remove 1 beast from the board to deal one damage.

This was meh. We pretty quickly removed the starting beasts and never managed to generate more. Probably won't try this again.

3) Empowered Beasts. Each spirit gains the innate power Empowered
Beasts (Slow, target self):
[Animal]: For each [animal], you may spend 1 energy to make one beast destroy an explorer or generate 1 fear if the land has invaders.

Haven't tried this yet. I think it will be a little more interactive, because it requires beasts + invaders + animal + energy. It means that spirits that have a lot more animal elements will be more effective at controlling them, which I like, but it still won't be free with the energy cost. I might toy with it instead being [animal][animal] or [animal][night] instead of [animal][energy].

Edit: Here is the most recent version that I think we are going to stick with going forward. It works pretty well:

4) Empowered Beasts: Any time a beast is added to a land with invaders, 1 fear. Additionally, every spirit gains the following innate power:

Call of the Wild (slow, range 1, Any land):
[Animal]: Gather 1 beast OR If the land has any beasts, destroy one explorer. You may repeat this power for each additional [animal].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.