Hide
11 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about moving ground troops onto a planet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chandler N
msg tools
So let's say I activate a system and move into it. I (of course) obliterate everything in the system and proceed to land ground forces. I only land 2 of my 4 ground forces and (easily) take over the planet. However, on my next turn I somehow end up with two more fighters in that same system. I only have a capacity of 4. Can I just send more ground forces down to a planet I control in a system I'm in at any time? Or can I only send forces down during invasion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can only send them down if you activate the system, so effectively, yes, you can land in the ground invasion phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chandler N
msg tools
Ah, I think I understand. I misread rule 44.5:
• A player cannot gain control of a planet he already controls.
I took that to mean that you can't have an invasion step at all on a planet you already control. But I suppose if you "invade" a planet you already own, you'll basically end up just skipping every step except Commit Ground Forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you leave them on the carrier in the first place? What advantage is there to leaving them on the carrier? About the only reason I can think of is if you wanted to retreat from combat with the carrier and take them with you. Can you not pick up ground forces from the planet before you retreat though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
Can you not pick up ground forces from the planet before you retreat though?

No. You can pick up ground forces when moving during the Movement step of the Tactical Action, but Retreat doesn’t use the standard movement rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Xelvonar wrote:

No. You can pick up ground forces when moving during the Movement step of the Tactical Action, but Retreat doesn’t use the standard movement rules.

While that's true, Retreating does still allow the movement of ground forces.

67.4, bullet 2:
If a player wishes to retreat with any of his ground forces that are on planets he controls in the active system, he may place those units in the space area of the active system during this step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
So my initial point holds. I see no reason to leave ground forces in space. Can anyone come up with a reason to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
So my initial point holds. I see no reason to leave ground forces in space. Can anyone come up with a reason to do so?

To stop someone achieving an objective requiring a ground force to be destroyed via Bombardment or Invasion Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skootur wrote:
Clipper wrote:
Xelvonar wrote:

While that's true, Retreating does still allow the movement of ground forces.

67.4, bullet 2:
If a player wishes to retreat with any of his ground forces that are on planets he controls in the active system, he may place those units in the space area of the active system during this step.

Thanks for the correction. I think it is also worth pointing out to anyone reading this that hasn't checked the rulebook, you move the ground forces into space when you announce the retreat, not when you actually retreat.

Which is interesting, as it means you cannot do this when using the Skilled Retreat action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brettellmd wrote:
Xelvonar wrote:

To stop someone achieving an objective requiring a ground force to be destroyed via Bombardment or Invasion Combat.

There's an action card (I don't know how many copies) that kills 3 ground forces from a hazardous planet. There are also agenda cards that can wipe out ground forces from a planet. Thus in some cases it is better to use just 1 ground force to take a planet, especially if the location is such that it's unlikely an opponent will invade there soon.

Also, as mentioned above, skilled retreat doesn't allow picking up ground forces. Therefore if you are holding that card, you might want to keep some of your troops on the carrier if you think an opponent may attack the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Xelvonar wrote:

If there are Action Cards that have the effect of TI3's Patrol AC or Warfare secondary, that could be useful for moving 1-2 ships with GF's closer to the system you want to invade.

It could also be extremely inefficient teleportation for races with Gen Synthesis Infantry II, like Arborec and Sol. If they lose the space battle, 50-60% (I know the actual stats for more than one are lower) of their GF's return to HS.

If Arborec for some reason wanted to Produce GF's in Space or on the other friendly planet, they would only need 1 GF present at that location. However, I see no strategic advantage in keeping GF in Space outside the above 2 things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.