Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I started to make a list of other things that Trump is doing that Obama wouldn't have and when I got to things like "withdrawing from treaties in the most destructive way possible out of spite" and "ceding moral authority to China" I had to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a bit longer than the 30 days he promised, that piece reads like it was written by a child, spends more time bashing the original poster and liberals rather than Trumps grand victory, which is funny considering that not discussing it is the whole point of that whinefest.

I thought Americans talking about how one sided Fox is was just a joke, holy crap was I surprised, its literally RT with an American flag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Al Jazeera is covering it. Trump deserves some of the credit. So does Russia. So does the hated Syrian government. So does the Iraqi government. So does the Iraqi militia. So do the Kurds. So does Obama.

It was really a no-brainer to expect that a group of beyond-the-pale militant Sunnis surrounded by hostile non-Sunnis receiving aid from two major military powers would eventually lose. Obama's optics were terrible, but ISIL really was the JV team, and they didn't even have home court advantage. They were hated and hounded from every direction. Good riddance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I'd count this as a permanent victory. For Mosul and Raqa, it is good news indeed. But ISIS has not been eliminated, and they will simply pop up somewhere else, perhaps with a vengeance. It's a short term military defeat for them, and a short term victory for us. We have not eliminated the root cause of why they exist at all. Trump gets some credit no doubt, but so do about half a dozen other entities, as a previous poster pointed out.

Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard. I seem to remember someone that did that once, and it came back to bite him in the ass;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recognize that Trump allowed the military greater freedom to fight ISIS while continuing the plan started years before during the Obama administration.

In the same way I recognize that Obama allowed the military and intelligence community to capture Osama Ben Ladin while continuing the plan and dragnet started years before under the Bush administration.

I'm a bit worried our military will become less respectful of civilian authority under Trump. I'm also worried, they'll break some international laws.

But I don't deny that ISIS has been beaten back to a low point from which they may not recover while Mr. Trump is president.

On the other hand, votes taken today by the republicans will kill three to seven times more americans every year for the next 10 years than died on 9/11. That's a national tragedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I’m just glad to have a conservative around who supports the modern GOP and a Trump. That’s been a tough position to find anyone to defend around here for months. Hopefully we can civilize this fellow into being a good advocate for his perspective.

Apologies in advance for my participation in any dogpiles on you, recon. I know that tends to get people’s backs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumpsters seem to forget Obama was actually fighting ISIS before Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
recon28501 wrote:
matthean wrote:

...and Bush laid the ground work to get Bin Laden. Hell Obama probably only authorized the mission after Bin Laden refused an invite to the White House.

That was a joke by the way, no official source.

Every one knows during the bush years , Bin Laden was living in the White house guest room. Have to protect the family business interests ol' bean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No need — as soon as Trump cut the tap on aid to "moderate" Syrian rebels, ISIS completely collapsed in Iraq and Syria. Whadda coincidence!

U.S. ill needs a game of billion dollar whack-a-mole right now. Everywhere U.S. intervenes, it just creates more terrorists, more resentment and pisses more money into a black hole. America First!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
No need — as soon as Trump cut the tap on aid to "moderate" Syrian rebels, ISIS completely collapsed in Iraq and Syria. Whadda coincidence!

U.S. ill needs a game of billion dollar whack-a-mole right now. Everywhere U.S. intervenes, it just creates more terrorists, more resentment and pisses more money into a black hole. America First!

I hope we can count on your support for solar, wind, and other alternative energy sources as well as small targeted nuclear plants and improved battery technology. Given the multi trillion dollar subsidies baked into the system for fossil fuel and coal, it's amazing that alternative energies are *already* competitive with fossil fuel and coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maxo-texas wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:

I hope we can count on your support for solar, wind, and other alternative energy sources as well as small targeted nuclear plants and improved battery technology. Given the multi trillion dollar subsidies baked into the system for fossil fuel and coal, it's amazing that alternative energies are *already* competitive with fossil fuel and coal.

Is this in response to "America First?" I support all free market energy solutions. I don't want any technology to get subsidies, but I'm very pro-nuclear energy. Only base-load nuclear can form the backbone of a fossil fuel free energy grid of the future. You jump the gun to proclaim them already competitive, they're not competitive with fracked nat gas.

Energy cost goes into the price of practically every good and service. Keeping the cost down is imperative for economic growth, so by all means develop new tech, but let's drill ANWR while we're at it. It's by far a more moral option than interim dependence on Saudi oil. Just look at what the Saudis are doing. Our special oil relationship becomes more odious by the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:

Thats sarcasm, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:

Is this in response to "America First?" I support all free market energy solutions. I don't want any technology to get subsidies, but I'm very pro-nuclear energy. Only base-load nuclear can form the backbone of a fossil fuel free energy grid of the future. You jump the gun to proclaim them already competitive, they're not competitive with fracked nat gas.

Energy cost goes into the price of practically every good and service. Keeping the cost down is imperative for economic growth, so by all means develop new tech, but let's drill ANWR while we're at it. It's by far a more moral option than interim dependence on Saudi oil. Just look at what the Saudis are doing. Our special oil relationship becomes more odious by the day.

Well I used to be in favour of nuclear power but the engineering is way too expensive. Batteries will be the base load. Fracked natural gas is a stupid idea given global warming, which I suppose you think doesn't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISIS has been defeated mostly by local groups such as Kurds. I don't think the US as actually contributed that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DavidDearlove wrote:
ISIS has been defeated mostly by local groups such as Kurds. I don't think the US as actually contributed that much.

Well, we agree that the U.S. wasn't very important to defeating ISIS. Problem is, you omit all the most significant contributors, namely the Syrian government, Russian government, Iranian irregulars and the Iraqi government in that approximate order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
matthean wrote:

...and Bush laid the ground work to get Bin Laden. Hell Obama probably only authorized the mission after Bin Laden refused an invite to the White House.

That was a joke by the way, no official source.

Don't worry. You're a Gooner. No-one takes Gooners seriously...in anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

There are a shit ton of drone strikes that take umbrage at your assessment. Oh, Truman defeated Japan BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
mb
SPIGuy wrote:
Al Jazeera is covering it. Trump deserves some of the credit. So does Russia. So does the hated Syrian government. So does the Iraqi government. So does the Iraqi militia. So do the Kurds. So does Obama.

And Iran, and Hezbollah. Pretty much any neighbour had reasons to want to see them crushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

And Iran, and Hezbollah. Pretty much any neighbour had reasons to want to see them crushed.

ISIS is the Isle of Misfit Toys of the Middle East. If they only knew how to stay in their shoes, maybe the wouldn't have been so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Well, we agree that the U.S. wasn't very important to defeating ISIS. Problem is, you omit all the most significant contributors, namely the Syrian government, Russian government, Iranian irregulars and the Iraqi government in that approximate order.

Yeah if you rule out all those airstrikes and close air support for the Kurds, Iraqi army etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there an article that actually focuses on this victory over ISIS and what has happened over the last year that marks it, or are all the articles about Trump being ignored for beating ISIS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.