15 Posts

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0» Forums » General

Subject: Most Unique/Game Changing Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
In your opinion, which two expansion factions are the most unique, game changing with respect to deviating from the core game concepts and perhaps relying upon unusual synergies between tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephisto and Dancer with Dancer being more unique. Look no further!

Edit: 3rd place for Death breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What are the most unique armies?
  1st 2nd 3rd
Outpost
Moloch
Hegemony
Borgo
Neojungle
New York
Smart
Vegas
Steel Police
Dancer
Mephisto
Sharrash
Uranopolis
Mississippi
Death Breath
Iron Gang
Doomsday Machine
      30 answers
Poll created by vir3ns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesh well. Dancer changes it a little too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll above is calculating the % by row and not column...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
The poll above is calculating the % by row and not column...

Dang, just noticed... I will leave it up, just ignore percentage laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
I noticed in another thread Dancer is one of the least liked factions. Why is that? Broken? Or just too weird?

btw...the reason for my post is that we're new to NH and want to buy some expansions. We'd like to focus initially on unique or unusual factions, thus my question. That being said, I'm also kind of boring and like the looks of New York. :-) My sons otoh really enjoy "weird" factions in games, the weirder the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New York, Smart, Steel Police, Mississippi, Sharrash, Doomsday, Vegas - these provide variation but nothing (too) radical. (But even then: "Wait, you can do that?")

Neojungle, Uranopolis, Iron Gang, Death Breath, Mephisto - these demand adaptation and really make you re-think how to approach the game.

Dancer breaks all the rules all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:
I noticed in another thread Dancer is one of the least liked factions. Why is that? Broken? Or just too weird?

Not broken, just very weird (both thematically and mechanically). It has no HQ and no units on the board except 3 separate HQ-like things which each have 10 hit points; if any of them dies, the Dancer player loses. It has some special actions to let its things attack without starting a full battle. It has the ability to "dance" to swap the positions of its 3 HQ-like things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Wartopia wrote:

Not broken, just very weird (both thematically and mechanically). It has no HQ and no units on the board except 3 separate HQ-like things which each have 10 hit points; if any of them dies, the Dancer player loses. It has some special actions to let its things attack without starting a full battle. It has the ability to "dance" to swap the positions of its 3 HQ-like things.

... and when you play on the app, usually the other AIs will focus on killing Dancer first so they can have a proper game afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blown Cover
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I record my scores when I play on the app, and my phone's predictive text has learned to change D.. to D..ancer 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Dancer is boring faction to me. Especially in more than two player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Myszka
Poland
flag msg tools
Dancer is like taken from another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry J
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm quite surprised at the negativity towards Dancer - it surely plays weirdly, but is a refreshing challenge to play both with and against. And on top of that, I LOVE its theme - three super fast, deadly AI creatures gone rampant sounds great, and the feeling of them being the result of an experiment is amplified by the names "Object Red" etc. I also like the fact that they have no agenda of their own - they fight because they were created as such.

By the way - the teasers that Portal did for several of the armies, including Dancer - are a very nice touch. The narrator's voice is very fitting here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFza9vMxE2E (Dancer video).

Back on topic - since the question is about most unique factions and not your favourites or least favourites - everyone will say pretty much the same thing - Dancer, Mephisto (the two most unique ones), and then Neojungle, Death Breath, Doomsday Machine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blown Cover
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't hate Dancer, but I find it very difficult to win with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.