Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins» Forums » General

Subject: This, or the Phoenix Elves Double Pack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wondering which you guys consider to be better or just more fun.

I have the Master Set, but heard these double packs have good starter factions for new players, and I'm interested in getting new players into this game.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both good. I have more fun with Dwarves and Goblins, where the opposition is steadfast versus surge. The Burning Elf and Freezing Orc set is about scalpel versus club.

If you already have the Master Set, though, you could get even better decks (for a little less money, in all likelihood) by buying the Second Summoners for Phoenix Elves (Queen Maldaria), Tundra Orcs (Torgan), Guild Dwarves (Bolvi), and Cave Goblins (Frick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
They are both good. I have more fun with Dwarves and Goblins, where the opposition is steadfast versus surge. The Burning Elf and Freezing Orc set is about scalpel versus club.

If you already have the Master Set, though, you could get even better decks (for a little less money, in all likelihood) by buying the Second Summoners for Phoenix Elves (Queen Maldaria), Tundra Orcs (Torgan), Guild Dwarves (Bolvi), and Cave Goblins (Frick).

You don't say? So you think the dollar/card value of the second summoner decks is better?

I've heard good things about the second summoners, perhaps I'll just buy those four decks you mentioned...

Any other advice for maximizing my value out of this game? I'm not a completionist, so I don't need to have *every* faction, just would like to have those that are the most fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The MSRP on the two-deck Starter Sets is $25, so that's $12.50 per deck, compared to the $10 for individual decks. Now, it's no ripoff--a Starter Set comes with a rule book, damage counters, dice, and paper playmat, but you don't need any of those things if you already have a Master Set. (I also use my Starter Set boxes for dice trays. They are a great size for it, and I've pasted in felt for the purpose.)

The best value per deck is the Alliances Master Set. At $60 for eight decks, it's only $7.50 per deck, plus the box can store everything ever published for Summoner Wars, and it comes with a neoprene playmat superior to the hard board in the original Master Set. All of that is great if you're just playing decks "out of the box." But the Alliances set is also the real key to Summoner Wars deck customization, as far as I'm concerned. The Reinforcement Packs are helpful, but the Alliances combo factions just blow the options wide open, both in terms of contributing their cards to other decks, and accepting cards from the base factions.

But back to your original issue: Introducing new players with decks that are solid and accessible. Note that there is no overlap between any of the SW products. None of the decks sold separately duplicate content in any of the multi-deck sets, and there are no decks that appear in different sets. So I'd say any of the individual Faction or Second Summoner decks other than Mercenaries are good for what you want there. In general, the Second Summoners are a little more sophisticated and interesting than the originals, but not really any harder to play. There's an awful lot of diversity in the fifteen basic factions, and you might want to fill in the nine you're missing according to the thematic tastes and preferences of your likely opponents.

Vanguards - Heroic Paladin types
Fallen Kingdom - Undead
Jungle Elves - Savage and shamanistic
Cloaks - Steampunks
Tundra Orcs - Clumsy but punishing
Phoenix Elves - Fragile but precise
Guild Dwarves - Doughty (2nd Summoner features building stuff)
Cave Goblins - Cheap and numerous
The Filth - Demon-worshiping units upgraded through Mutation

If you go to the "Factions" tab of the Summoner Wars website, you can look at all the individual cards and see what strikes your fancy:
https://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/summoner-wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
The MSRP on the two-deck Starter Sets is $25, so that's $12.50 per deck, compared to the $10 for individual decks. Now, it's no ripoff--a Starter Set comes with a rule book, damage counters, dice, and paper playmat, but you don't need any of those things if you already have a Master Set. (I also use my Starter Set boxes for dice trays. They are a great size for it, and I've pasted in felt for the purpose.)

The best value per deck is the Alliances Master Set. At $60 for eight decks, it's only $7.50 per deck, plus the box can store everything ever published for Summoner Wars, and it comes with a neoprene playmat superior to the hard board in the original Master Set. All of that is great if you're just playing decks "out of the box." But the Alliances set is also the real key to Summoner Wars deck customization, as far as I'm concerned. The Reinforcement Packs are helpful, but the Alliances combo factions just blow the options wide open, both in terms of contributing their cards to other decks, and accepting cards from the base factions.

But back to your original issue: Introducing new players with decks that are solid and accessible. Note that there is no overlap between any of the SW products. None of the decks sold separately duplicate content in any of the multi-deck sets, and there are no decks that appear in different sets. So I'd say any of the individual Faction or Second Summoner decks other than Mercenaries are good for what you want there. In general, the Second Summoners are a little more sophisticated and interesting than the originals, but not really any harder to play. There's an awful lot of diversity in the fifteen basic factions, and you might want to fill in the nine you're missing according to the thematic tastes and preferences of your likely opponents.

Vanguards - Heroic Paladin types
Fallen Kingdom - Undead
Jungle Elves - Savage and shamanistic
Cloaks - Steampunks
Tundra Orcs - Clumsy but punishing
Phoenix Elves - Fragile but precise
Guild Dwarves - Doughty (2nd Summoner features building stuff)
Cave Goblins - Cheap and numerous
The Filth - Demon-worshiping units upgraded through Mutation

If you go to the "Factions" tab of the Summoner Wars website, you can look at all the individual cards and see what strikes your fancy:
https://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/summoner-wars

Incredible, thank you so much for all the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.