Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for their employees, however:

Here’s what America’s biggest companies plan to do with all that cash coming back to the US

Quote:
...according to a Bank of America Merrill Lynch survey of 302 US companies.

When asked how they would use the proceeds of repatriated earnings, 65% of respondents said they would pay down debt.

At the same time, corporate America still has plans to use the cash to buy back shares. Just less than half of the respondents, 46%, said at least a portion of the repatriated money would be spent on buybacks, which are a good way to achieve immediate share appreciation and signal to investors that a company views its stock as undervalued.

Even less responded saying they would spend the money on mergers and acquisitions (42%) and capital expenditures (35%).

And the cost in terms of debt and what is going to be cut from the budget will not off set these few benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta love the way Fox still breathlessly believes that trickle down economics is going to work great ! After the failed efforts of the concept in the last forty years including the most recent one in the state of Kansas you think they would know better by now, but no...

LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm $1,000 bucks, that's impressive. Wait until they get their next insurance bill now that the Obamacare mandate was repealed, and it chews up that $1,000 bucks.

Laughs, and let's remember, corporations like that are CURRENTLY sitting on huge cash reserves, not even counting the upcoming tax breaks. I am breaking my neck here, just watching how quickly they are making capital and equipment expenditures, and increasing the workers wages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
Feels good to have some leadership in this country.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/12/20/gop-tax-bill-a...

Trump is your idea of Leadership? I see the bar is set pretty low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And they are praying the economy hums along as is because it if stumbles, they have no course of action for what follows. Again, they don't know if the economy will ultimately pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wells Fargo's contribution amounts to 2% of their tax cut. The rest I imagine will go straight to senior management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a sec, I thought thoughtful conservatives couldn’t speak their mind here.

Hmmmm....

Praise Trump! Praise the police! Praise Jesus transgender Christ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Wells Fargo's contribution amounts to 2% of their tax cut. The rest I imagine will go straight to senior management.

Yet they didn’t have to contribute any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

But this paltry bit kinda undermines the GOP lies that somehow this tax cut would unleash an orgy of investment and higher-paying jobs giving us 8% growth from here to eternity, thus causing massive winning.

Not to mention - this would not have happened under Obama or Bush, this sort of immediate release of oddly specific plans. This is purely pandering to Donald Trump to keep them on Trump's good side, stroking his ego (not to mention other parts of his anatomy). Like Pence with his prayer to St Donald. And the Congressional GOP lining up tonight to praise Trump. Really fucking weird (and craven) behavior. When do they start calling him the Dear Leader?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

And here it is, the fulfillment. It started with "If we ease up on the restraints of the wealthy, then they will see that the money filters down to the rest of us." But now here we are with "They don't have to do a damn thing for us, we should be grateful they do what little they do." Cities are practically giving away their municipalities in hopes of getting an Amazon corporate HQ, reckless anti-taxing that will cripple them in the long run.

It's Stockholm Syndrome. The job creators say they won't create jobs unless we give them everything and more, and we are expected to fawn over the opportunity to do that for them.

Supply-side is a failed experiment. And as a conservative, I have to hope there's another alternative that can be put forth. Rampant tax and spend won't work, but this isn't working either.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't understand the 'come on every Christmas season to troll RSP thing from gunny up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
windsagio wrote:
I honestly don't understand the 'come on every Christmas season to troll RSP thing from gunny up there.
The sad part is how many folks are taking the troll-bait.
Just say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was honestly curious what his thoughts on the last police video thread might be. But I hadn't remembered that this was a seasonal gig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

But it would probably be wiser to wait until these companies actually do relevant thing to start handing out the applause. I mean, I can say I'm going to invest one hundred million in workforce development too.

In addition, we need to assess the consequences of that tax cuts as well. A $1000 bonus is nice and probably incredibly welcome to many, many people, but it is important to see what broader cost that comes at.

That said, good on them for angling for good optics on this. Could they have done this before? Maybe. But hey, baby steps. Good is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
windsagio wrote:

He is a cop, it's already noted their recruitment process tries to ensure that they ain't the sharpiest tool in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Their quarterly report from September also mentioned increasing the base pay BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Hmm $1,000 bucks, that's impressive. Wait until they get their next insurance bill now that the Obamacare mandate was repealed, and it chews up that $1,000 bucks.

Companies have been paying bonuses instead of giving raises for the last 20 years. Sorry we can only give you a 1% raise, but here is a one time bonus of $1000 so really we gave you a 3% raise. Except of course, next year you get another 2% bonus and 1% raise, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So is the AT&T and Wells Fargo stuff actually new or just PR?

2017/10/31 - AT&T offer a contract to their union staff with the $1k bonus in it.

Quote:
Under the proposed four-year contract, workers would get pay raises totaling 10%, a $1,000 bonus, and the promise of a U.S. job offer if the store or call center where they work was closed. Among other terms, the offer also proposed that the company would continue to provide a pension plan and 401(k) savings plan with an 80% match on up to 6% of contributions.

2017/9/11 - Wells Fargo announce base pay increase

Quote:
Raised the minimum wage base range for U.S.-based entry level team members to $13.50 - $17.00 per hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, my definition of leadership does not include taking from those whom you lead who can afford it the least and give it to those who need it the least to continue to oppress those you lead. When did leadership start equaling taking a dump on those you lead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When I hear conservatives defend GOP fiscal policy, this is what I envision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
A country where Trump and his cronies are doing what is considered a "good job" is one where I don't fit.

Not easy as a 50-year-old senior IT person to get into Canada I'm finding, but I'm working on it. Family is not real happy with it so there's that! And no, I won't let the door hit me yada yada. This country is fucked, Trump being just a symptom of the disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So.....what about the IRS? Are they prepared for this change? Does anyone know if Congress appropriated more money to the IRS to increase resources & staff? There have been huge cuts in their budget not to mention the "ire" of Republicans for a while now, is that hatred still the same from the Repubs to the IRS?

What about CHiP? Does the new tax bill address funding for this program? I know the states run it but the feds help fund it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

'Medieval"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Is there any other kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.