Popular Tags: [View All]
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have read that some players never expand beyond playing ASLSK to full ASL.

I was curious if any players might buy the ASL games and play them using the ASLSK rules. Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played ASL, but I notice that this question is asked on a regular basis.

Apparently, the answer is always: no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Never played ASL, but I notice that this question is asked on a regular basis.

Apparently, the answer is always: no.

You mean, no it is not feasible to play ASL components only using ASLSK rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Others will know the answer to this a lot better than I do, but the first thing that I would say is that there is a limited subset of terrain in the starter kits. The full ASL maps contain a lot of terrain types not discussed in the starter kits.

There are probably a lot of other reasons as well. I know that the game balance will be off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Others will know the answer to this a lot better than I do, but the first thing that I would say is that there is a limited subset of terrain in the starter kits. The full ASL maps contain a lot of terrain types not discussed in the starter kits.

There are probably a lot of other reasons as well. I know that the game balance will be off.

Understood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1854644/which-way-jump/page...

I think this covers it.

The short answer is no, the ASL scenarios are not meant to be played with ASLSK rules. It might be something simple like "if you can't use bypass, the attacker simply can't get from point A to point B". But there is oh so much more.

If you have played ASLSK to the point that you've exhausted all the available scenarios, maybe it is time to take the step to ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

If you have played ASLSK to the point that you've exhausted all the available scenarios, maybe it is time to take the step to ASL.

I havn't even scratched that surface (much), but I am preparing myself for the day when the training wheels come offcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

I hear that more ASLSK content / expansions are coming.

I wonder if it is getting to a point where the popularity of ASLSK has evolved it into its own game system, sort of like the "small brother" of the ASL family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLSK is a gateway into ASL. It was meant as a cheaper option for people who think they might be interested in getting involved with full ASL without having to put down a large chunk of $$$ for the Rule book and Beyond Valor as well as being a "programmed" Trainer with a rules-lite version of Full ASL, mostly for people who Solo and don't have access to ASL Grognards from the 70'swhistle
There is supposed to be a Pacific Theater SK in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
10010110 wrote:
I hear that more ASLSK content / expansions are coming.

I wonder if it is getting to a point where the popularity of ASLSK has evolved it into its own game system, sort of like the "small brother" of the ASL family.

Certainly there are people who play ASLSK and not ASL. ASLSK has a lot of scenarios already, which probably suffice for people who don't play very often.

(Granted that compared to ASL it has a tiny amount of scenarios, but of course almost every game has a tiny amount of scenarios compared to ASL...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10010110 wrote:

Oh, I think that is already the reality. The Elst HASL. PTOSK not too far off. I think that SK can be, for many people (and I think also in MMP's estimation), a final destination, rather than a stepping stone to ASL. Heck, SK is still richer than most other tactical wargames. I stepped-up to ASL and will never look back, but different strokes for different folks. SK is here to stay and seems to be growing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gm j
United States
Thomaston
GEORGIA (GA)
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the 1986 Great Outdoor Fight
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The terrain thing would be a challenge, and at a minimum you would need whatever that section of the ASL rules governing terrain might be (B?).

But . . . .

I'm feeling a bit contrarian today and would like to play Satan's litigator. The two straw-man reasons for "no" that I choose to pick on are:

1. Balance - This is not persuasive. One need only examine the relative balances of the lion's share of scenarios in the Archive to see that balance (per scenario) ain't all that. In addition, the relative experience between players makes a huuuuuuuge difference in balance, regardless of a scenario's innards. One is never going to get an "even" match in ASL.

Speaking for myself, while I always prefer winning to losing, the joy of ASLSK/ASL is watching the game unfold. Always different, always interesting.

So while being unable to use bypass may affect how the designers wished the scenario to play out, I'm not sure how it would necessarily affect one's enjoyment of the game. As long as both are using the same rules (however so gimped) - it's all good.

2. It's not Real ASL - The short response is - so what? Longer - my gut feeling is that the percentage of all ASL games ever played that have been executed flawlessly, according to all applicable rules and situations, is in the single digits. I've nothing to back this up, but search deep within yourselves, deep within your hearts, and you suspect it is true. As such, like the apocryphal story of Winston Churchill asking Lady Astor if she would sleep with him for a million pounds, it is simply an argument over degree. We do our best.

So I say to all who ask "Can I play ASL with ASLSK rules?" Sure! Why not? ASL has many wonderful and weird scenarios to choose from. Pick one and play it with the full panoply of ASLSK rules - see what happens! Will it be a hellish nightmare of confusion and sorrow? Or will it instead turn out to be a fine evening well-spent with good friends and a rocking good show?

Confound those fiddly OBA rules! Out damned Fanaticism! Begone ye execrable and unmanly snipers! I'll have my Fighting Withdrawal served with (er, relatively) simple rules simply played!

Now, if you gentlemen (and hypothetical ladies) will excuse me, I need to see that my flame-proof suit has been properly dry-cleaned.

Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gochinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Short answer is yes

Long answer is that you will most likely have to ignore or not use many things from an ASL scenario.

Just my 2 cents, but if you plan to play an ASL scenario with ASLSK "rules", do it completely, no hills, upper level buildings other terrain etc. Might be more fun that way.

Mixing rules could be a bad method and lead to more frustration that it is worth.

What ever you do, have fun!!

Thanks
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
Some scenarios are not playable under SK rules because many concepts are not present there. But the mechanics and tactical options are quite similar, not identical, and for the purposes of just having some fun and living some new action you can of course do it.

Forget about scenario balance, of course and I would avoid playing with uber-critical negative players if you want to enjoy the game. The key is playing to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Many mention balance as an issue.

I don't see this as a problem as clearly 30% of ASL scenarios are unbalanced By Roar records.

HOWEVER, you'd have to greatly expand the rules as many have posted above...Terrain notwithstanding.

NOTE: the SL system had 3 expansions and a couple of extra packs of scenarios and players used those for YEARS replaying their old favorites. You don't need 2000 scenarios, which you could never play, in your "player's" library.

ASLSK games are short and sweet, a benefit Most ASL games do not have.

But, mind you, the WAY you play the game will differ GREATLY as you move FROM SK to ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.