Subject: [Spoilers May] Got a rule very wrong, funding adjustment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Cliff
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it turns out we got a rule pretty wrong in the month of May. We forgot the part of Accelerated Incubation where the faded figures can't cause outbreaks. Also, we were letting initial hand cards trigger Accelerated Incubation, which from looking at the FAQ was wrong.

We played May twice, losing the first time, and narrowly winning the second. Getting those rules wrong caused a significant amount of damage to COdA colored cities through chain reactions. Now that our board has been fucked up a bit, does anyone have any suggestions on how much we adjust our funding to make up for that handicap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hmm. That's not really the kind of thing funding easily compensates for. My instinct is to say two or four, but another option would be to choose randomly maybe four of the outbreaks you suffered in May and undo the rise in panic level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
My instinct is to say two or four.

Why not three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The normal mechanism adjusts funding in steps of 2. I can't offhand see any problem with an odd (in both senses) funding level, but I'm not confident enough that I'm actually going to recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem is when you win a game with 1 funding, do you go to -1? I kid, but seriously, there's no real reason not to have an odd number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Genender
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
The only problem is when you win a game with 1 funding, do you go to -1? I kid, but seriously, there's no real reason not to have an odd number.

There is. Each turn you draw two cards from the player Deck.
So, for every pair of cards you add, you are effectively getting an additional turn for your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Cliff
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geneze_cb wrote:
There is. Each turn you draw two cards from the player Deck.
So, for every pair of cards you add, you are effectively getting an additional turn for your game.

We've actually done a 1 card funding adjustment twice for particularly small rule goof-ups (getting the number of objectives wrong at the very start of a game, for example). That makes +1 a relatively small bonus (only 1 funding card, not one extra turn). -1 is a bit of a bigger penalty in comparison but still less harsh than -2. An odd funding level also makes the bottom card of the player deck a completely unusable card, which is a little weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Bear in mind that 9 cards are dealt initially in a three-player game, but 8 are in a two- or four-player one.

There's also the potential for legacy effects to change the size of the player deck, but I shan't say whether or not that ever actually happens. (-8<
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Fecher
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Because the impact was over the course of two games, I would go with +4 funding. Since funding is fluid, I don't think it will be an overcompensation for the havoc that has been wrought. If you are worried that +4 is too much, you could select 2 and randomly draw the other 2.

Best of luck out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Jacobs
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We made the exact same mistakes. We found out the initial draw not spreading Faded figures after our first play-through so we gave ourselves +2 Funding. But it wasn't until July we found out that Accelerated doesn't cause outbreaks. That said, we're going ahead with just the two we already got; we won June, July, and August on our first tries on so I'd say it balanced out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.