Hide
9 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Types of Advancement cards (capacity question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graeme Edgeler
msg tools
May have missed it, but what counts as a type of advancement card? Specifically, is a building card (with a crate that can be opened after the building is built) different from a building card that has already been built (ie which is now just an unopened crate), so that I can keep one of each between games?

So far (three games in), we seem to have the following types of advancement cards, and I'm not 100% sure what counts as different:

1. Assistant cards
2. Friend cards
3. Crate cards (with buildings already built)
4. Building cards without crates
5. Building cards with crates

Assumption is: 1 and 2 are different, and 4 and 5 are the same (but could make an argument if you paid me). Question is whether 3 is also same type as 4&5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
An advancement card is any card that goes into the Advancement deck. You are correct that crates are not buildings, but it doesn't matter if an unconstructed building gates a crate or not - it's still a building. The only difference is where it goes when you build it; you hold on to it if it has a crate, or archive it if it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's true.Agreed. Per Jamey,
Quote:
A constructed building card is 1 of the 7 types of advancement cards (see rule 7), so capacity applies to it.

If you look at rule 7 (which is a starter rule), there are seven icons shown, TWO of which are unconstructed and constructed building cards (some but not all of these icons are named on the back of the rulebook). Which means that those are two different "types" of advancement cards.

Note that an unconstructed building is the same "type" whether or not it has a crate, and that a constructed building card *must* have a crate on it (because if it didn't, it would be archived after the building was constructed, and wouldn't count as an advancement card any more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Edgeler
msg tools
Thank you to both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I don't think that's true.

Who are you talking to, Becq? Because you didn't disagree with me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quadparty wrote:
May have missed it, but what counts as a type of advancement card? Specifically, is a building card (with a crate that can be opened after the building is built) different from a building card that has already been built (ie which is now just an unopened crate), so that I can keep one of each between games?

So far (three games in), we seem to have the following types of advancement cards, and I'm not 100% sure what counts as different:

1. Assistant cards
2. Friend cards
3. Crate cards (with buildings already built)
4. Building cards without crates
5. Building cards with crates

Assumption is: 1 and 2 are different, and 4 and 5 are the same (but could make an argument if you paid me). Question is whether 3 is also same type as 4&5.

As has been said above, you are correct that 4 & 5 are the same type of advancement card (unconstructed building card) while 3 (constructed building card) is a different type of advancement card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Becq wrote:
I don't think that's true.

Who are you talking to, Becq? Because you didn't disagree with me at all.

Hm. I read your statement as "it doesn't matter if it's unconstructed or not - it's still a building", which is totally not what you said. Apologies; I agree with what you said after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So. At the end of a game, if I have maxed out my advancement capacity, I can keep one of each of these types?

1. Assistant cards
2. Friend cards
3. Crate cards (building already built)
4. Building cards (without or without a crate)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. There are also some other types of advancement cards you haven't unlocked yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.