8 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: I'm loving it! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wicket Warrick
msg tools
mb
I've been eyeing up this game since it's release and after watching some positive reviews on youtube I recently bought it and ordered all 3 expansions (only the Ferengi have arrived so far) and all ship packs.

I'm due to have a 4 player game on Saturday so I thought I would do a solo run-through with the Federation, Romulans and Klingons to learn the rules and test the waters (adding in the Ferengi planet discs and exploration cards of course ).

I have to be honest and say this game is brilliant! I don't see any problem with down-time as I have seen a lot of people whine about online. I mean it's a strategy game so you should be planning out your turn during your opponent's turn and reacting accordingly to what they do also. That's part of the fun! The turns are pretty short in my eyes when you realise how much you are accomplishing in them.

I was a bit scared that it would be a difficult game to learn/teach and play but the mechanics are super easy to grasp once you have played a few turns.

The exploration cards and planet discs are superbly thought out and I don't understand the luck factor that other people online are complaining about either. You simply adjust your strategy appropriately to what you encounter. Nothing goes smoothly in life after all and that's the beauty of it.

I can't wait to show it to my friends on Saturday!

Well done GF9 on an incredibly well thought out game!

(Now i just need to justify buying those plastic starbases and race dice packs )

• [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybran wrote:

I have to be honest and say this game is brilliant! I don't see any problem with down-time as I have seen a lot of people whine about online. I mean it's a strategy game so you should be planning out your turn during your opponent's turn and reacting accordingly to what they do also. That's part of the fun! The turns are pretty short in my eyes when you realise how much you are accomplishing in them.

Pretty much. I can see it being an issue in a 5+ player game, but people complaining at the 3 player mark have some unrealistic expectations. You should be watching what the other players draw, how they connect to the new systems, what they're doing and where, and trying to figure out how to exploit it all. Seriously, if you aren't paying attention to the game, why bother playing.

Also, it's a game with negotiation, so negotiate!

cybran wrote:
The exploration cards and planet discs are superbly thought out and I don't understand the luck factor that other people online are complaining about either. You simply adjust your strategy appropriately to what you encounter. Nothing goes smoothly in life after all and that's the beauty of it.

Enh, on this front I have some sympathy as not all systems are created equally. In my last game the Cardassian player got a series of bad system draws and research draws that pretty much killed his ability to expand (in comparison to the Klingons and the Ferengi anyway).

But to a real extent, this -is- a game where player elimination is a win condition*. A bad system draw just means one player is easier to eliminate and less likely to win. Now, how to work that to your advantage (whichever player you are) should be seen as part of the appeal of the game. "Don't attack me, you and I need to team up against the strongest player! After he's gone... we'll reconvene."

cybran wrote:
(Now i just need to justify buying those plastic starbases and race dice packs )

Yeah, you're on your own there.

(*Player elimination isn't inherently a flaw, but it is a type of game some people don't like. Of course, complaining about it seems kind of silly. A "why doesn't this dog meow and purr; it's a terrible dog!" kind of mentality.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have lots of fun. It's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, the three "evils" of boardgaming:
- Luck
- Downtime
- Imbalance

Although you mentioned only two of them, I've seen claims of all three brought against this game.

The good thing is that with most modern games, none of the three is the problem that most people who complain about them, claim that they are!

Most people who complain about too much "luck" in a game can't define what "too much" is, nor understand that in well-designed games they're conflating luck with the modeling of probabilities of outcome.

And I think that the notion of downtime as an evil characteristic is a generational thing. Our society today is simply becoming less and less patient. I think the concept of "slow down and smell the roses" is long gone.

Finally, the claim that a game is unbalanced is usually levied by people who've played the offending game only once or twice. Such rash judgement seems to be popular with most new games nowadays. I don't get why people feel compelled to cry "imbalanced!" so quickly. I think it's yet another indicator of having little patience (to actually learning the game so to be competitive against more experienced players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wicket Warrick
msg tools
mb
Well said!

I just think if all of the system discs were similar in resource generation then what a boring universe to explore that would be! There has to be some luck in every board game (card draw, dice rolls etc.) - it's part of the fun. What this game brings to the table is very strong diplomacy which I feel is at the heart of the mechanics (judging from my first play).

On a side note I received the Cardassian expansion yesterday (oh wow!) and my Borg expansion is on it's way to me (in Europe) along with the rest of the escalation packs

Merry Christmas everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L.
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cybran wrote:
Well said!

I just think if all of the system discs were similar in resource generation then what a boring universe to explore that would be! There has to be some luck in every board game (card draw, dice rolls etc.) - it's part of the fun. What this game brings to the table is very strong diplomacy which I feel is at the heart of the mechanics (judging from my first play).

On a side note I received the Cardassian expansion yesterday (oh wow!) and my Borg expansion is on it's way to me (in Europe) along with the rest of the escalation packs

Merry Christmas everyone!

The addition of the planets from the expansions is big. Almost double. Lots of fun. Double the Phenomenon too.
Watch out for the Cardasian Overseer fleet.
My opponent had it protecting a 4 production node spot.
Second planet for him. Was a good pull.
The Feds took it in a four player game against the Klingons,Ferengi and Cardasians.
The Borg were in there but no Cubes showed up.

This game is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybran wrote:

Might I inquire where you are in Europe and which country the shop you ordered from is in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wicket Warrick
msg tools
mb
Fussypants wrote:

The addition of the planets from the expansions is big. Almost double. Lots of fun. Double the Phenomenon too.

This game is awesome.

So true, the replayability the expansions add is incredible! I received the Borg expansion yesterday - oh my word!!!!

MordredPendragon wrote:

Might I inquire where you are in Europe and which country the shop you ordered from is in?

Sure, I'm in the UK and the UK company who ships anywhere in Europe for a fair price is https://www.bgextras.co.uk/

I use them a lot for the mayday premium card sleeves. It's £26 for the Borg expansion and they sell a starbase bundle (for all 5 factions) for £40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.