Bora Bora» Forums » General

Subject: Does Bora Bora stand the test of time in 2017? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ive played a few Felds games that Ive been a fan of (Trajan and Oracle of Dephi) and Ive perordered Merlin. I know Trajan stands the test of time as one of felds best and even today is widely played. Just wonder the same about Bora Bora? Its hard to find many recent reviews on this, just wondering if its worth getting this game when ill have Trajan, Oracle of Delphi, and Merlin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out a video run through or 2 and decide for yourself. We really like Bora Bora, probably prefer it to Trajan most times, but that is us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really like Bora and Trajan. Really which one we play depends on the mechanics my wife is in the mood for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it sure does. First played it in 2013 and still play it to this day. Maybe 5-6 times a year and it's always a hit for people I introduce it to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it, especially at 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it holds up. I’ve had it since 2014 and it is my 3rd most played game this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Trajan holds up for you, so will Bora Bora. Great Feld game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Bora Bora has been fired by The Voyages of Marco Polo, which is simply better as a dice-placing game, being more flexibel and thematical. That does not mean that Bora Bora is a bad game, but it does not hit our table very often any more. For my taste, some older Feld games, especially Notre Dame and Luna, still stand the test of time for their cristall clear game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Bora Bora is still Feld's best game. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Trajan and Bora Bora. I think his two best games. And I like Bora Bora at all player counts. My wife, who doesn't normally enjoy point salad heavy Euros, does enjoy playing this 2-player against me.

But then I couldn't care less about some of his games I hated (Aquasphere!) or that appear so relatively mediocre (both Oracle of Delphi & Merlin).

The only other game of his I do wish I could play is Amerigo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I only got Bora Bora last year, and it's now the most recent entry into my personal top 10.

It's super tight, and from what I gather, significantly heavier and more complex than Merlin and Oracle of Delphi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry O\'Neill
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora is my favourite Feld game. I played many games with a friends copy a few years ago and just recently bought my own copy. To echo a_traveler above it is super tight. I love how challenging it is, what an intense game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco Polo has the different characters which make every game different.
But the dice mechanism in Bora Bora is much better. In Marco Polo you basically want most (if not all) of your dice to be Sixes, so luck plays a considerable role.
In Bora Bora you actually want your dice to fall in all three categories - high, medium and low. That makes Bora Bora far less susceptible to luck and is the main reason Bora Bora is my preferred Eurogame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I got rid of my copy in favor of keeping Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia as my one dice worker placement game and I've regretted it.

Maybe I'll buy it again but I'm kind of hoping for Feld to revisit the concept and make a smoother version of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find Bora Bora a bit on the bloated side. It’s typical of the modern heavy euro where you pick your path from a multitude of viable paths and optimize/abuse it as much as you can. And it’s better if you pick a path that won’t be interfered with. There is a lot of complexity, but I prefer games that find depth with less complexity. Not a bad game, but not one I would want to play more than once or twice a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Tome
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've just had the opportunity to play it for the first time and I really enjoyed it. It share many traits with other Feld games, which means that if you enjoy his games you'll probably enjoy Bora Bora. And once you get the rules, the game is actually quite smooth. I do own a few other euro worker placement dice games (including the aforementioned Marco Polo and Euphoria), and many Feld games, but I think it still has a good place on my collection.

The god cards and special powers through the use of the different men and women are super fun, the task tiles that you seek to do every turn, and the multiple paths to victory are quite interesting and make it feel like the game has a good replayability due to how it changes based on other players or the order of how the tiles show up. Super recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice this year. Awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan Valkyser wrote:
But the dice mechanism in Bora Bora is much better. In Marco Polo you basically want most (if not all) of your dice to be Sixes, so luck plays a considerable role.
In Bora Bora you actually want your dice to fall in all three categories - high, medium and low. That makes Bora Bora far less susceptible to luck and is the main reason Bora Bora is my preferred Eurogame.

I don't think that is right. If Marco Polo would be like you say, the character who can manipulate his dice rolls would be overpowered. OK, you want high rolls for the market actions, but for all the other actions you are generally fine with low and medium rolls. And don't forget that can you can manipulate dice rolls in both games, with camels in MP and gods in BB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flott wrote:
Stephan Valkyser wrote:

I don't think that is right. If Marco Polo would be like you say, the character who can manipulate his dice rolls would be overpowered. OK, you want high rolls for the market actions, but for all the other actions you are generally fine with low and medium rolls. And don't forget that can you can manipulate dice rolls in both games, with camels in MP and gods in BB.

Sure, you can manipulate dice rolls. But this comes at a cost. At the end of the day, you still want most of your dice to be Sixes (maybe one 1 to use the income action). Sixes are definitely better than other numbers. Rashid (the character you mentioned) isn't overpowered because he is lacking the other forms of income that the other characters have.
In Bora Bora, however, three Sixes is a very bad roll - as is three Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.