Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Trumps Intimidation at the UN "The US will be taking names" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that back a United Nations resolution opposing the recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Nikki Hayley spoke at the UN and said the US will be taking names.

I hope they all vote against the US just to spite him and this blatant bullying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42431095



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Self-defeating and absurd rhetoric which will change zero votes, but makes Haley look good on Fox. It's like they don't remember that those you hurl petty insults at today may be less likely to trust you or back you on something you care about tomorrow.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump carries the greatest, biggest stick you've ever seen. Believe me.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It just looks big because he's carrying it in small hands.
28 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's unclear how much of this is Trump and how much of it is Haley. Half the time she seems to be running her own foreign policy independent of the president. That said, UN vote buying is nothing new or unique to the U.S. Other countries have conditioned foreign aid on support at the UN (e.g. all the landlocked African countries that support Japanese whaling). That's just a particularly silly example. It happens all the time.

EDIT: Trump is backing this up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard Nikki Haley say that on NPR this morning and I literally screamed in my car, "WTF!?" (but I said the words).

Is this who we are now? We've become the "Axis"?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That worked out well.Even Ireland which normally tries to offend no one made a stand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/21/united-nations...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote goes against the US 128 - 9

22 of 29 NATO allies voted against US in the UN vote on Jerusalem today. 7 (Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Poland, Romania) abstained. None voted in support of US, the UK voted against.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jon7167 wrote:
Vote goes against the US 128 - 9

22 of 29 NATO allies voted against US in the UN vote on Jerusalem today. 7 (Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Poland, Romania) abstained. None voted in support of US, the UK voted against.


Hoo boy, that’s a lotta attackin’ we got to do.

At least it will be good for the economy I guess.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
128. That's a lot of names. I hope Nikki was taking good notes...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the United States 'won't forget being singled out' over the Jerusalem embassy issue. Who on Earth is Haley's speech for, certainly not anyone in the voting chamber at the united nations, who presumably just rolled their eyes and turned off the translator earpiece.

Methinks there's only one thing on Nikki Haley's mind. 2024.

I'm going to call it right now; Nikki Haley as first female president of the United States.

Unfortunately.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the don't knock off back there Trump's going to pull the car over.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The dignified thing to do would have beeen to make no speech, no comments, just ignore the resolution entirely. Do not even cast a no vote, simply ignore it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jon7167 wrote:
US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that back a United Nations resolution opposing the recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Nikki Hayley spoke at the UN and said the US will be taking names.


We would need to give meaningful aid to nations that weren't named "Israel" for this to be a worthwhile threat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
jon7167 wrote:
US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that back a United Nations resolution opposing the recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Nikki Hayley spoke at the UN and said the US will be taking names.


We would need to give meaningful aid to nations that weren't named "Israel" for this to be a worthwhile threat.
Oh snap!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Apparently the United States 'won't forget being singled out' over the Jerusalem embassy issue. Who on Earth is Haley's speech for, certainly not anyone in the voting chamber at the united nations, who presumably just rolled their eyes and turned off the translator earpiece.

Methinks there's only one thing on Nikki Haley's mind. 2024.

I'm going to call it right now; Nikki Haley as first female president of the United States.

Unfortunately.


Yeah, I don't think so.

5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The dignified thing to do would have beeen to make no speech, no comments, just ignore the resolution entirely. Do not even cast a no vote, simply ignore it.


"Dignified" and "Trump Administration"...

...this does not compute...
...this does not compute...

robotrobotrobotrobotrobotrobotrobot
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
The dignified thing to do would have beeen to make no speech, no comments, just ignore the resolution entirely. Do not even cast a no vote, simply ignore it.


"Dignified" and "Trump Administration"...

...this does not compute...
...this does not compute...

robotrobotrobotrobotrobotrobotrobot


I know, it is just a reminder that even if you are a conservative and like the policy issues, this admin is doing every bit of it in the worst way possible.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Apparently the United States 'won't forget being singled out' over the Jerusalem embassy issue. Who on Earth is Haley's speech for, certainly not anyone in the voting chamber at the united nations, who presumably just rolled their eyes and turned off the translator earpiece.

Methinks there's only one thing on Nikki Haley's mind. 2024.

I'm going to call it right now; Nikki Haley as first female president of the United States.

Unfortunately.


Yeah, I don't think so.



Yeah, remember when everyone said that about Trump?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Yeah, remember when everyone said that about Trump?


Trump at least had a history of being a "successful" business man. She's a woman.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what the conservative base wants. They want out of the U.N.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
This is what the conservative base wants. They want out of the U.N.


You are not wrong. It's just stupid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone that abstained or vote with the U.S. have been invited by Haley to a party as "friends" of the U.S.

Those that voted for the resolution (against U.S.) did not get an invite, including some of our most long standing allies.

shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Everyone that abstained or vote with the U.S. have been invited by Haley to a party as "friends" of the U.S.

Those that voted for the resolution (against U.S.) did not get an invite, including some of our most long standing allies.

shake


"You were mean to me, so I'm throwing a party, and not inviting you." This is a legitimate diplomatic tactic. For a seventh grader.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.