Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, seeing I am VERY late on finding these games and searching the net for copies, I find copies of Hemloch for $45+, Midnight Edition for $70+ and Dark Promenade for $17 on a printing site.

I know Hemloch Midnight is Hemloch + expansions and Dark Promenade plays nothing like either.

My question is, based on cost, what is the more worthy purchase? Am I missing a lot of extra play by getting the original over the Midnight edition, or is Promenade a better game, especially considering cost?

Outside of the original Hemloch, there just aren't a lot of comments. I really would like to experience a Small Box Game and find the theme great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 games, Hemloch ME and H Dark Promenade are set in the same universe but are nothing alike.
The price difference reflects the complexity and scarcity differences between the two.
The smaller game HDP will be around long term, Print on Demand.
The Midnight Edition may or may not be easy to track down going forward depending on what Kolossal Games decide to do with the SBG stable of games.

Not sure if that's terribly helpful, you can research what game play is like here on the geek with videos of available of the original here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/109548/hemloch/videos/al...

and a good idea about gameplay for HDP here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1884524/swallowing-hemloch-....

The designer writes a nice summary of the differences here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25504031#25504031

Hope that helps.

PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read all of the BGG reviews, vids, and have a firm understanding of the 3 games. My question revolved around people who possibly played or own all 3 games, or even 2, and have some insight on which game out of the 3 is the most worth it, especially considering cost.

I could wait and see if Kolossal republishes it, but they may not do so at all.

I do appreciate the work put into your response. The obvious choice is HDP based on cost, but if the game is not nearly as good as the original or expanded original I may be convinced to bite the bullet and pay for the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
HME is one of my favorite Area Influence/Control games. Even more so as it plays perfect at 2p; an area most Area Control struggles in.

$70?? Hell, I'll sell mine for $60. That is waaaayyy too high. Setup your Subscription to include: Items for Sale and Geeklist additions that way you know when an Auctio or Marketplace listing goes live. **Geekmail anyone listing it For Trade and see if they will sell. Do not tell them your ceiling right away**

HDP is a fun, light filler I can teach o many newer people. HME has a bunch of extras that just gives the game longevity. Many alternate setups and more options to play with.

I highly recommend HME, but no more than $45 as after that you will expect too much from what is a streamlined, medium-light game.

Price to me sets expectations. $70 is a price I feel uncomfortable buying Scythe or Star Wars Rebellion at. So that is why I cannot recommend the nigh-perfect HME for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend HME at the $45 price point as well and there's a copy available on the game's page for $45 + shipping. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Milwee
msg tools
badge
Buying a new game does not buy time to play it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Promenade looks and plays like a distillation of the ideas that drive its predecessors. Everything in the series is really cool, but I think that the last entry is the best. The design is clean and easy, the art work is great and, where the rule books of the earlier entries left a lot to be desired, Dark Promenade's feels like it got all the edits that it needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are from the US and you participate in a math trade you can easily acquire a copy of Hemloch Midnight/Dawn for $30-40.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/237256/item/5938452#i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole math trade thing is new to me. I have games to trade, could I simply add those and potentially just spend shipping costs to get this? That's how it appears to be, but making sure I am not confusing things.

I see you can trade GG or GC for games also, but it appears to me the Math Trades are more to trade games for games with a computer figuring out how to do so without the typical one v one trade that normally you cannot match up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.