Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tonichi x Tabletop2Go
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ICYMI, there's been some passionate discussions over the last 24 hours on the stories of a KS Project (Upstart), and a PR agency they engaged.

Let this be a lesson to board game designers/publishers who are thinking of leveraging crowdfunding platforms and are considering engaging a PR agency to help with marketing.

KR Project Creator's story ---
How a PR Agency Stole Our Kickstarter Money

PR Agency's story ---
How a Failed Kickstarter Campaign Told The World Half The Story and Painted Us As Crowdfunding Super-Villains. And, Yes… We’re Partially To Blame.

reddit discussion

TL: DR; Bad decisions all around led to hurt feelings and hurt wallets. Learn from these experiences.

EDIT: The KS Project Creator posted an update to their article, refuting certain portions of the PR Agency's response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite ironic to see a board game about the ups and downs of starting a business turn into a lesson on the ups and downs of starting a business...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very interesting other side of the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the update: http://d-cal.com/2017/12/20/how-a-pr-agency-stole-our-kickst...

They claim Woodshed told them to submit the large last-minute transactions so the campaign would succeed. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shocking that the project creator publicly admitted to "self-funding" the campaign, even if the PR company prompted them to do it.

Pete (thinks that's an admission he'd keep to himself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
texascpa wrote:
Here's the update: http://d-cal.com/2017/12/20/how-a-pr-agency-stole-our-kickst...

They claim Woodshed told them to submit the large last-minute transactions so the campaign would succeed. LOL

Sounds like they both deserve each other. Hacks and scammers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaking news: PR Agency is good at spin. Tune in at 11 for more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Kickstarter campaigns self-fund to get to the finish line far more often than you may realize if you find this shocking behavior. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What what?

a 2.5K advance + 10% fees on a 16K campaign... so 25% in marketing off of KS funds. Well they were out of their minds in the first place...and of course they'll tell you to pledge yourself... they want their 10%!!!

the post by the game makers is full of holes by the way.... it's a rant with no info.... we don't know what the "reply" is (no link), we don't know by how much they pledged themselves. I hope i didn't get a virus by visiting the site...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d1taylor wrote:
I think that Kickstarter campaigns self-fund to get to the finish line far more often than you may realize if you find this shocking behavior. :-)

yeah gives you street cred "has funded 5 sucessfull projects already"

but i'm guessing these guys don't spend 1/4 of the KS money on PR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d1taylor wrote:
I'm sure it happens all the time. But I'm surprised that they told us so.

Pete (thinks there's something a little shady about "pledging" your own money just so you can take the backers' money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldspire wrote:
Quite ironic to see a board game about the ups and downs of starting a business turn into a lesson on the ups and downs of starting a business...

Maybe all this is a PR stunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the PR agency side of the story sounds way more believable. Yes, I'm aware they're a PR agency...
Overall, bad handling on all sides. I guess we'll never find out how this eventually ends, but I assume it's the end of both of those businesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
I'm a bit confused. The creator doesn't have the money, was desperate for the money back in May, but is somehow managing to send out the games to the backers? Where did the money for that come from? It's not even clear how much they are expecting from the agency given that it was $20k short of the actual funding amount but claim they didn't use fake credit cards. $20k short says someone did.

The agency is claiming that because of the unknown liability they were advised not to contact the creators. That doesn't make sense either. Couldn't they at least tell them why they are holding on to the money?

Seems like both sides are still only telling part of the story and I'm sure this drama will play out even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the original article yesterday. Got mad. Read the response today. Got confused. Read the facebook thread and this one and now I just think both sides suck and will continue this slap fight to eternity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bulger
United States
Fuquay-Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.....

Get things in writing and never deviate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.