11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Advanced weapon problems *spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
k c
msg tools
mbmb
I put a *Spoilers* tab in the title. Don't read this unless you are OK with Gear Spoilers

I am surprised at the uselessness of these 2 advanced weapons: Perfect Slayer, and Thunder Maul.
Edit: They are both Rare Gear. I'm describing them as "advanced" because they have the flavor of badass weapons.

Perfect Slayer
We found a Perfect Crucible during a hunt a while back. We are almost ready to build the Blacksmith, and were looking forward to building the Perfect Slayer. I did some reading on the gear card and realized that those of us with only the core game should never build the Perfect Slayer. I can handle the -1d10 population, but it seems the perfect slayer cannot be wielded without certain expansion(s)?
The Perfect Slayer has the finesse keyword.

The Glossary: "Finesse: A gear keyword. This gear requires finesse to use. This keyword does not interact with the core game in any way and is one of those annoying keywords for expansions."

If I hadn't read ahead, and we were playing the game "blind style" we would have killed 1d10 of our survivors for a weapon we couldn't even use.

Thunder Maul
My survivor got Thundercaller, and ended up with the Thunder Maul. He has attacked with it 3 times. He will probably never use it again! It is cursed, so it takes up a gear slot, but it's too dangerous to swing. Out of the 3 swings, he has suffered 2 severe arm injuries, and caused his friend to roll on the brain trauma table.
Is my survivor doomed to lug this thing around, but never swing it? Is there ever a situation where he could safely use it?

What am I missing!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
kcrandall15 wrote:

If I hadn't read ahead, and we were playing the game "blind style" we would have killed 1d10 of our survivors for a weapon we couldn't even use.

It's entirely possible that was the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coleman Ellis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Is finesse not just a keyword like "two handed" or "bone" where it doesn't mean anything on its own but can interact with other rules and effects (dismembered arm means you can't use two handed weapons, PotSkull can only use bone gear)? I read "requires finesse to use" just as fluff with just the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks CM. That very well could be the point. I could be wrong, but I don't think many people play that hardcore. I think that even when the immersion players build a location, they look at the gear cards they are planning to develop. Otherwise, how would they know what a they are about to build will even do?

I read about others using the Perfect Slayer and ThunderMaul, but I'm guessing they probably didn't realize the limitations, or they know something I don't (like which expansion to get).

Coleman, I hope you are right, but it seems like Finesse is required to use it. I don't have anything saying i have finesse, so I assume it requires something else (maybe a fighting art I missed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can use it.

Finesse: A gear keyword. This gear requires finesse to use. This keyword does not interact with the core game in any way and is one of those annoying keywords for expansions.

That's a descriptor. 'This keyword does not interact with the core game in any way' reads, it doesn't prevent use. It just means, that it's a weapon that is wielded with finesse.

Even if you needed the keyword - it has it! It's a self referential keyword in that case. Like, oh, I need finesse. Oh, hey, the weapon has that keyword. Usually in requirement gates, it would mention another trait.

'is one of those annoying keywords for expansions.' - most likely, it would come up somewhere, like '+2 to wound this location when wielding a weapon with finesse'

Or 'You can only wound this hit location with a weapon with finesse'

Or something to that effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Orion. After your explanation, the phrase: "This keyword does not interact with the core game" makes me feel like I can just ignore finesse all together since i don't have any expansions yet.

I was hung up on the phrase "This gear requires finesse to use." The glossary didn't help as it says a "Gear Keyword" describes "use, or limiting factors."
It is only a keyword (as you and Coleman are saying), and not a special rule like sentient. I think I get that now.
The "two-handed" keyword by itself is only a description. It is the severed arm injury that causes that "two-handed" keyword to prevent you from using the weapon.

I didn't see finesse keyword as giving me finesse (as the two-handed keyword wouldn't give me back a missing hand), but it's irrelevant if I can just ignore it (whew).

Edit: OK, I think I finally get it.
Finesse: A gear keyword. This gear requires [you to wield it with ] finesse to use..."

I guess Thunder Maul is the only disappointment then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a nice event with Thunder Maul in a nemesis showdown a bit ahead in the timeline, though. Still not worth it

What do you expect from a weapon you get for free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:

What do you expect from a weapon you get for free?

In a game this brutal, I don't imagine there's much chance of anything good coming from something that's "cursed". That's a pretty good giveaway.

I suppose there are cases where it's slightly less horrible, like if you carried an Acanthus to mitigate one injury roll at the cost of an extra slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Thunder Maul really should have seen errata:

-it suddenly became a far more thematically relevant weapon
-it's already difficult to use and hard to get
-it interacts horribly with the new club specialization

There are a few pieces of expansion gear that help mitigate its penalty, but even with those, I don't think it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb
A follow up question on Perfect Slayer.
(Edit: Doh! blush NM. Much of my problem is not properly processing/remembering what I'm reading. Thanks for pointing out "archive this card". The -1d10 is so traumatic, my comprehension stops there lol.

I originally thought the Perfect Crucible was consumed as a resource when crafting a Perfect Slayer, but my assumption now appears incorrect.

The Perfect Slayer is not unique. In my OP, is said it was rare gear which is incorrect (its blacksmith gear).
The recipe shows you are you are required to have a perfect crucible, but it is not listed as an actual ingredient. It's displayed as a (padlock) required box on the Blacksmith Location the same as Paint, Heat, and Ammonia. The resource cost is 9 x iron, and 3 x organ.

Unfortunately, it sill looks like I will suffer -1d10 population because even though it wasn't consumed, it was part of the crafting effort.

Perfect Crucible (iron)
When you craft with Perfect Crucible, an ancient bacteria is released into the air. Suffer -1d10 population and archive this card.

As for the Thunder Maul. I'm a bit disappointed because I chose to use Thundercaller to go and claim it. I will ignore that ability in the future. We laugh about it because we went from an elated WOW! look at this badass weapon! then quickly to a shocked and dismayed holy @#$% don't ever swing that again.

3 attacks, 2 with lantern 10s: Burned my dried acanthus, gained a Conracture/permanent accuracy loss (wow I could of just died!), oh, and sorry about giving you that disorder fellow survivor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure that "archive this card" means goodbye crucible, and that the sword being non-unique means that you could find the Portcullis again and get another crucible to craft another (and so on and so forth I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.