Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the relatively vague setup instructions, does anyone have a more specific setup? It's a little difficult to interpret the instructions when you're not that familiar with the game. This is in reference to the updated rules available from labataille.us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitchell, look under my sessions post, might be helpful

Game On,
Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas,

That's very helpful, thanks.

I assume you have the Anglo-Allied army in column so they can maneuver more quickly depending on what the French do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitchell,
I just got this game on the table recently as well, and am getting back into the La Bataille system after a long time off. I had similar questions on setup and actually used Thomas' pictures to help (Thanks!), but shortly realized the allies have a couple turns to adjust anyways, so I wasn't picky on where exactly they started.
Question: I'm using the updated exclusive rules off of labataille.us and cannot for the life of me find where it says after which increment losses units should check morale.
Thanks, and good luck!
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
buckschell wrote:
Mitchell,
I just got this game on the table recently as well, and am getting back into the La Bataille system after a long time off. I had similar questions on setup and actually used Thomas' pictures to help (Thanks!), but shortly realized the allies have a couple turns to adjust anyways, so I wasn't picky on where exactly they started.
Question: I'm using the updated exclusive rules off of labataille.us and cannot for the life of me find where it says after which increment losses units should check morale.
Thanks, and good luck!
Andy

Yes, I set up more or less following Thomas' example as well.

I'm using the 5th Edition rules, and there's an excellent summary of "when to check morale" on p.32 (17.2) of those rules. The only thing it says about increment losses is to do so when a unit loses 50% of its increments to a single combat event. It's not clear if that's 50% of the total or 50% of the remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's been so long,I'm using sort of a hybrid of Premier and ML, Premier being about the same I was originally taught some 20 years ago, and ML because I want to use the CP/MU command, among a few other things. I was told that those two were sort of the basis for the 5th Edition rules, which I don't have yet, but plan on getting very soon.
For morale checks on increment losses, I was going off what I could remember from some other games, and using by best judgment: French and British checking every even loss, and Spanish and Port every even.
Is that covered in the 5th Edition? Or different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The “50%” losses refers to 50% of the unit’s current strength. Certain small units are exempted.

The 5tb edition is a mix of the third edition and the Regs XXX rules. Third edition evolved from the Premier (getting rid of some of the gaps and items that could be abused). In the Regs/ML rules, units check morale every time a loss occurs from Fire Combat. The rules exclusive to the game for third or fifth edition should specify when each nationality takes a loss for fire combat losses. Typically inexperienced infantry (Spanish mobs) check with each loss, foes of Napoleon check on odd or even losses, and the French check on odd losses after the third increment is lost. Cavalry units typically check for each increment list.

Fifth edition and the Regs/ML penalize units that Disorder differently as well. Fifth edition is like the third in that units that Disorder immediately retreat half their movement allowance. In the Regs/ML, they simply Disorder in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification Paul, that's excellent. I didn't realize that the incremental morale checks were different depending on which rule set you were using. Didn't think to check the original exclusive rules book with the game, but I will now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.