Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or is it just me? I try to "get into" area and point-to-point movement games, and have even enjoyed a few. But, everything being equal, I'll take good ol' hex movement every time. I enjoy the maneuvering, and all the pitfalls that often go with that. I do admit, however, that some games simply don't lend themselves as well to hex movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated them at some point. Now I kinda love them in some cases.

Pete (thinks it really comes down to whether "clever movement" is rewarded or not in a non point-to-point game, and most really do not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you might want to ask a moderator to move the question to the wargames subforum, where the people who have strong opinions on the topic tend to dwell.

Pete (has seen about a dozen threads on the subject, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pete,

I considered that suggestion right after I posted. Um, this is embarrassing, but how do you ask the moderator to do that? (This is my second post ever.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You reach Wargames | General | Forum | BoardGameGeek by selecting the Wargame subforum. This is done by a selection switch at the top, showing "Board Games S" and hitting "Wargames". Then the tab "Forum" will have a sub-caption "Wargames". Select "Forum" under that one. Then select "General".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this vid. He ends up not liking this particular area-movement game (in favor of a hex game of the same battle) but the first ten minutes he gives a pretty good history and defense of area movement games:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Check out this vid. He ends up not liking this particular area-movement game (in favor of a hex game of the same battle) but the first ten minutes he gives a pretty good history and defense of area movement games:

This is a damn good wargame! Well worth owning and it makes excellent use of area-movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodin wrote:
Or is it just me? I try to "get into" area and point-to-point movement games, and have even enjoyed a few. But, everything being equal, I'll take good ol' hex movement every time. I enjoy the maneuvering, and all the pitfalls that often go with that. I do admit, however, that some games simply don't lend themselves as well to hex movement.

Okay, two things...

1) It's just "you"

and

2) Play Feudum when it comes out early 2018, and then get back to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodin wrote:
Hi Pete,

I considered that suggestion right after I posted. Um, this is embarrassing, but how do you ask the moderator to do that? (This is my second post ever.)
I'd just send a private message to Octavian:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Click on that little mail symbol.

Pete (also contacted him for you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Per,

I did as you instructed--actually I had my wife, who's more computer savvy than I, do it . . . I'm not sure it worked . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pete,
I just sent Mathew a note.

Edit: Success, it's now on the wargames forum. Thanks for the help all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun, I watched the video and he definitely makes interesting points, none of which I disagree with. I can see how area movement would not be a problem (even for me) in a siege game . . . I actually have looked over Storm Over Dien Bien Phu a couple of times, and have even considered it . . . if not for those dang areas, lol!

On a somewhat related note, back in the 1970s when I was in college, in a creative writing class of all places, we had a substitute professor one day, and after taking role, he suddenly asked (out of the blue), "Who knows what Dien Bien Phu is?"

I was in a back corner of the room, and after waiting a few moments for some other student to raise his or her hand, and finally realizing that no one was going to, I raised mine. I'd just begun to say that it was the decisive battle of the war between . . . when that professor barked, "Only one of you knew it?" He then shook his head in obvious disdain. Turns out, I learned from my brother who had that prof in another class, that he was a Vietnam vet. Needless to say, I smiled smugly back there in the corner of the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

I checked out the game on your link. Definitely looks interesting--I can see how "areas" will continue to evolve. Maybe someday I'll give another a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪♪
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely strongly dislike point-to-point movement. I'm reluctant to say that I abhor it, but I do at least come close to that. The most clear-cut example of why, though, is from the railroad game genre rather than wargames.

In games like Ticket to Ride, it can easily happen that someone takes a route that you need and if you can get around the block at all, you have to go through another city. In the Empire Builder Rail Games, by contrast, if someone takes the best route to a particular city it just means you'll need to spend more money blasting out tunnels in mountains or something similar. And there often isn't one single best route... which option you pick can easily depend on where else you want to go.

I enjoy tactical optimization quite a bit, and route options are an additional tactical choice to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike how point to point movement looks and feels. It seems the most artificial aesthetically.

It doesn't actually make me not play the games or even like them less, really, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Borodin wrote:

Too late now (since you already created a duplicate thread), but you can use the red X at the top of a thread to mark the thread "Wrong Forum" and an admin will move it for you. (If it's not obvious where the correct forum is, then also post a comment saying to where the thread should be moved.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron,

My sentiments exactly, except that it pertains to wargames. It's the tactical optimization that I love, the flanking and cutting off of supplies, etc; and conversely leaves me flat with area and point-to-point movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derry,

As I mentioned to Ron, that's part of my problem with point-to-point--feels just too abstract. And, as with you, it won't stop me from playing those types of games, but usually does influence me not to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ, thanks for the info. I have been visiting BGG since 2004 (!!), but am still tragically inept when it comes to posting and some other things here. I am going to send an email to the folks at BGG, and ask them how to do the basics. Hopefully in my next post I won't look like such a nooby!blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodin wrote:
Um, this is embarrassing, but how do you ask the moderator to do that? (This is my second post ever.)

Anyone can do it by clicking the red X button on the post to report it and choose the "Wrong forum" link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tor,

I'll remember that for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodin wrote:
Russ, thanks for the info. I have been visiting BGG since 2004 (!!), but am still tragically inept when it comes to posting and some other things here. I am going to send an email to the folks at BGG, and ask them how to do the basics. Hopefully in my next post I won't look like such a nooby!blush

At the top of both styles of pages there is a blue block of dropdown choices. The one at the right end that says "Help" may have what you need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Borodin wrote:
Um, this is embarrassing, but how do you ask the moderator to do that? (This is my second post ever.)

Anyone can do it by clicking the red X button on the post to report it and choose the "Wrong forum" link.

(Only the red x at the top of the whole thread has "wrong forum", not red x on posts.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodin wrote:

For me, hex-to-hex is just a very granular point-to-point or area control system... yeah, I prefer it, but there are many good games that don't use it that give you some great maneuvering. (For example, I really want to try Supply Lines of the American Revolution.)

Of course, there are many of you who abhor the non-hex based wargames. I'd say you just aren't playing the right ones if you haven't found a single one that gives you the same sense as a hex-to-hex movement system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.