Subject: Group 10x10's? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, many of the A x B's here on BGG are evaluated on an individual basis. Did folks here do these as a group? AFAIK for some ground rules:
--we try to do them together
--it still counts if for the rest of us if one person was missing
E.g. p1, p2, and p3 play 3 games of X, but for the 4th game, p3 wasn't around. P1 and p2 each have 4 plays of X, while p3 only has 3

--other sources can count too
e.g. p3 ends up playing 2 games of X at a con, so he's up to 5 plays

--no penalty nor reward so to speak if we fail or succeed
It's mostly for fun, a way to get in games otherwise, and to get to do them multiple times

We ultimately decided against it. 26 game nights a year, getting in 1 to 3 games per night (with longer games of course using the whole night, while shorter ones being able to get in 2 to 3 plays). At the very least, it'd need to be cut down to a 5x5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
AFAIK, many of the A x B's here on BGG are evaluated on an individual basis. Did folks here do these as a group? AFAIK for some ground rules:
E.g. p1, p2, and p3 play 3 games of X, but for the 4th game, p3 wasn't around. P1 and p2 each have 4 plays of X, while p3 only has 3

Hmm? Since it is irrelevant whether you play the game together or separately, how is this "group" method any different from each of you doing your AxB individually? It seems identical. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Hmm? Since it is irrelevant whether you play the game together or separately, how is this "group" method any different from each of you doing your AxB individually? It seems identical. Am I missing something?

It probably adds some peer pressure. Same reason people commit on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:
russ wrote:

It probably adds some peer pressure. Same reason people commit on BGG.

I guess so. But:
OP wrote:
AFAIK, many of the A x B's here on BGG are evaluated on an individual basis. Did folks here do these as a group?

That made me think at first that he was proposing to evaluate the group on a group basis (i.e. did the group together play A x B), not evaluate each group member's challenge on an individual basis (i.e. did each person independently play A x B -- which is a standard individual A x B, plus perhaps some peer pressure, as you note).

A group challenge (where the group must play A x B as a group) seems actually different and new and, well, more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely more challenging, to the point of infeasable. Committing as a group (in the liberal sense) probably does make it easier to find opponents for those games that are nobody's first choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the OP means that the group together should play AxB games, and they're proposing that it should still count even if one member of the group is absent.

If you have a regular gaming group which wants to explore certain games together, I don't think this is a bad idea at all -- maybe to start with, make it a 5x5.
If you're competetive people and the games are not cooperative, you could even organise it as a little league, or in general keep score across the whole challenge.

I don't have such a gaming group, though. Most of my gaming is with my partner and with varying groups of friends. I know many couples do the 10x10 together, but my partner is opposed to the idea of boardgame challenges, so I do it for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:
Yes, definitely more challenging, to the point of infeasable.

It's all relative... many people say an individual 10x10 is infeasible for them! In contrast, I could trivially easily do a (strict) group 10x10 with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
hojoh wrote:
Yes, definitely more challenging, to the point of infeasable.

It's all relative...

Of course. It usually is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to my personal 10x10, 5x5, and "KD:M 2x Campaigns", my smaller group is doing a 4x5 next year. My smaller group is four people, and each person picked a game and, as a group, we'll play each game 5 times.

A 10x10 for a group is a really high commitment. An Xx5 is easier to stick to and more or less ensures nobody will get burned out on a game they hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
A 10x10 for a group is a really high commitment. An Xx5 is easier to stick to and more or less ensures nobody will get burned out on a game they hate.
We would try to vet games and ensure that they are games everyone likes to play. At the very least, can tolerate for 10 plays.

russ wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I still think it matters.

A group of you getting in on a commitment (even if not that strict), vs. making NO mention to them at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.