Subject: The Witch retheme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching this movie on Amazon Prime, and it was bit eerie how much the accusations of being a witch and signing on with the devil thrown around reminded me of BSG. If nothing else, I may be going through 'a bit' of withdrawal :x
www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/

Retheme of this could be nice, but alas, I'm afraid it may be resigned to simpler games with hidden traitor(s), like Resistance/Avalon retheme instead. Might be far too difficult to fill in all of the "mechanic holes"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite The Last Jedi's numerous flaws, I felt that it got really really close to Battlestar Galactica. "Imperial Cruisers chasing Rebel Flagship."

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the recent Last Jedi, my biggest disappointment was there was no build up of a potential traitor in the fleet. Would have been very interesting for there to have been a betrayal element involved.

As a fellow enthusiast (and as I am also going through Battlestar Galactica withdrawals), The Last Jedi also introduced some potential new mechanics that I previously thought up. I have so many ideas I have been tinkering with, but the interest in variants is so limited on these forums, so why waste the energy crafting them for discussion? Anyway, here's one of them:

The one thing missing in Battlestar Galactica is Political turmoil between the human fleet (separate and a part from Galactica's crew). One of the ideas I had is that players could move to certain unique Civilian ships and activate those ships as separate and distinct location actions. The result of those actions would be secret and would involve certain machinations behind the scenes. This, of course, would require a way to secretly implement changes to the game without being completely obvious. (Fantasy Flight's recent Ipad/Smart phone integration would solve this issue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that BSG is currently out of print and the number of new players that would buying the game based on the license is miniscule, I think a rebranding does make sense.

Do any of FFG's own properties have any traitor/betrayal lore that would be suitable? I suppose Arkham investigators could be corrupted agents of the Ancient Ones/Great Old Ones, but I worry about overlap with the AH/EH board games. How about something from Terrinoth or the Twilight Imperium universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't good old real world witches be enough of a theme? I thought we were talking about a fan made game here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Wouldn't good old real world witches be enough of a theme? I thought we were talking about a fan made game here...
Yes. A fan remake is the focus of this thread. As the movie unraveled, it sort of did invoke them same feelings. Even the religious overtones there aren't completely estranged from BSG, as there are some religious elements there too.

It may not be necessary, as I'm not sure how much Disney charges for these such licenses. But if anybody can afford a license, it is indeed FFG/Asmodee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about a BSG re-theme (for a few years already). I came up with "The Evil Genius".

Here is the idea: An "evil" organization inhabits an island. Several international agencies aim to infiltrate the organization. They also make assaults on the island using their fleets. The Evil Genius is developing a superweapon to threaten the world. The island is protected by a force field that can occasionally be supercharged and push the assaulting fleet away.

So, the battlestar is the island, and the assaulting fleet are the Cylon ships (basestar = cruiser, raider = gunboat, heavy raider=lander). The players are members of the evil organization. The force field charging up and discharging is the jump track. Finishing the superweapon is the winning of the game for the evil organization. Taking out the organization by, for instance, destroying many parts of the island, or destroying certain resources, is how the "good guys" win. What are Cylons in BSG are infiltrators in the Evil Genius interpretation.

There are at least four nice things about the Evil Genius interpretation: (1) it is easy to create a scientist class, a military leader class, a soldier class, with a diplomatic class on standby; (2) it nicely switches the roles from BSG by making the "good guys" evil and the "evil guys" good; (3) it is easy to rely on many tropes to create the crises; and (4) it might make for nice graphics and miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I have been thinking about a BSG re-theme (for a few years already). I came up with "The Evil Genius".

Here is the idea: An "evil" organization inhabits an island. Several international agencies aim to infiltrate the organization. They also make assaults on the island using their fleets. The Evil Genius is developing a superweapon to threaten the world. The island is protected by a force field that can occasionally be supercharged and push the assaulting fleet away.

So, the battlestar is the island, and the assaulting fleet are the Cylon ships (basestar = cruiser, raider = gunboat, heavy raider=lander). The players are members of the evil organization. The force field charging up and discharging is the jump track. Finishing the superweapon is the winning of the game for the evil organization. Taking out the organization by, for instance, destroying many parts of the island, or destroying certain resources, is how the "good guys" win. What are Cylons in BSG are infiltrators in the Evil Genius interpretation.

There are at least four nice things about the Evil Genius interpretation: (1) it is easy to create a scientist class, a military leader class, a soldier class, with a diplomatic class on standby; (2) it nicely switches the roles from BSG by making the "good guys" evil and the "evil guys" good; (3) it is easy to rely on many tropes to create the crises; and (4) it might make for nice graphics and miniatures.

You also have the cylon leader/evil genius class if you going onto Pegasus or other games.

Sounds a lot like the video game Evil Genius which is a great game:
Scar could be one of the elite spies that invade:

Money could be a resource, "heat" a resource, your agent morale and ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.