Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you include Atlanteons or Aztecs, is the game playable by five?

Has anyone done it? Is there way too much downtime? Balance problems in a game that wasn’t really intended for five? Or does it work great?

And same questions for the 51st State Master Set. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. i did try this.

5 handed solo with all expansions (except aztecs)

it takes 8 hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
The Plains
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think technically you could play this game at any player count as long as you had enough factions and a big enough commons deck to support that number of players.

The main question to ask is if you have played the game at 4p and what your thoughts were? Imperial Settlers is one of my favorite games, and we played a 4p game of it once... and it was quite unpleasant. If I had not previously played the game at 2p before that game, I probably wouldn't have ever given the game another chance. I'll never play it again with 4 players, and I am hesitant to even play it at 3 players before a lot of other games. However, if you and your group liked it at 4, I imagine 5 won't be that different aside from adding even more downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, the main problem with more players is it just takes longer and longer

2-3 is the sweet spot imo. any more and it really bogs down a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Imperial Settlers and 51st State Masterset can theoretically be played with 5 players, but both the length of the game and the downtime between turns increase significantly. I wouldn't recommend it with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chessie Zecat
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yes, but don't. No, really, don't. For the love of God, please don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.