GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express» Forums » Rules

Subject: 8.4 Reserved shares rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it. I'm sorry.

1) How does it work? The share is reserved. Then what? What does it mean? This regional's secondary share may not be purchased by any other player until the beginning of the second SR. But what about the player who did reserve the share? Does he buy it? When? At the start of the second SR? When the Major Railroad Phase starts?

2) Why this rule? What's the point?

3) What happens if 2+ Players decide to reserve a share at the same time!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
I don't get it. I'm sorry.

1) How does it work? The share is reserved. Then what? What does it mean? This regional's secondary share may not be purchased by any other player until the beginning of the second SR. But what about the player who did reserve the share? Does he buy it? When? At the start of the second SR? When the Major Railroad Phase starts?

No worries. This confused me, too, for awhile. This rule hasn’t often come into play for us. It only is in effect in SR 1, and has no effect if the Major RR Phase doesn’t start in SR 1.

Up until the first secondary share of a particular Regional RR is purchased, the owning player may designate one of its secondary shares as “reserved.” Each player may do this for at most one Regional RR. The share is reserved through the start of the second SR. The reserving player may buy it (in SR 1 or SR 2) but is not obligated to do so.

poifpoif wrote:
2) Why this rule? What's the point?

I see a few possible uses of this rule. First, you can use it to designate one RR that you don’t have to worry about being stolen. Otherwise, another player can buy 50% of your Regional, and potentially turn it into a Major before you can, thus stealing the Presidency. Or, perhaps you want to assure that you personally can attain ownership of 75% of a Regional. Or, maybe you just want to assure that a Regional retains a 25% share in its treasury in order to accumulate some treasury cash.

poifpoif wrote:
3) What happens if 2+ Players decide to reserve a share at the same time!?

You can only reserve a share in a Regional that you are president of, so this creates no conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all thanks a lot.

KentuckyKid wrote:

..., and has no effect if the Major RR Phase doesn’t start in SR 1.

1) Really? The rule says: "If the regional expands into a major (ie the Major RR Phase does start in SR1) before the beginning of the first OR, the reserve status is cancelled (hence has no effect) and the major's shares are available for purchase by any player." However, secondary shares cannot be bought until the Major RR Phase starts.

I'm confused.

Ok I got it. If the concerned Regional turns into a Major, of course there are no reserved shares anymore. And of course, if the Major RR Phase doesn't start during SR1, there's no point of keeping a reserved share as they can't be bought.

2) As I never played this kind of game before, I have no idea how often this situation might arise. Is it likely the Major Phase would begin "right away", ie all minors and 18 out of the regionals have floated, in SR1? I have absolutely no clue.

Quote:
The reserving player may buy it (in SR 1 or SR 2) but is not obligated to do so.

How and when exactly? Just by saying so, and paying the share value to the treasury of the Regional during their turn, or whenever he wants (interrupting the game)? And only if the Major RR phase has started, right?

Quote:
I see a few possible uses of this rule. First, you can use it to designate one RR that you don’t have to worry about being stolen. Otherwise, another player can buy 50% of your Regional, and potentially turn it into a Major before you can, ...

Got it.

Quote:
You can only reserve a share in a Regional that you are president of, so this creates no conflict.

Now I get it. I couldn't find this crucial info in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
First of all thanks a lot.

KentuckyKid wrote:

..., and has no effect if the Major RR Phase doesn’t start in SR 1.

1) Really? The rule says: "If the regional expands into a major (ie the Major RR Phase does start in SR1) before the beginning of the first OR, the reserve status is cancelled (hence has no effect) and the major's shares are available for purchase by any player." However, secondary shares cannot be bought until the Major RR Phase starts.

I'm confused.

2) As I never played this kind of game before, I have no idea how often this situation might arise. Is it likely the Major Phase would begin "right away", ie all minors and 18 out of the regionals have floated, in SR1? I have absolutely no clue.

1) I think you’re saying the same thing as me (but perhaps I didn’t explain it very clearly). The reserved status has effect only in the Major Phase (since secondary shares can’t be bought before then, anyway) in SR 1 up until the Regional in question converts to a Major. When a Regional converts to a Major in SR 1, any reserved status is cancelled for that RR only — it still applies for other Regionals that have not yet converted to Major (until SR 2 begins).

2) As far as whether Major Phase begins in SR 1, I would say “often” or even “usually.” In order for Major Phase to begin, all 18 Regionals and all 12 Minors must float. The 12 Minors will float by rule. It all depends on whether the players hold back enough cash from the opening auction to float all of the Regionals. It also depends on how the players decide to use their money. For example, if I have £360 left in SR 1, I have to decide whether to float two Regionals parred at 90 or three parred at 60. How the players decide on their par values will often control whether the Major Phase starts right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add — I’ve played several games of OE by now and have seen this come into play maybe once or twice. It’s not one of the more crucial things to understand in your first game — we certainly didn’t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had figured that out indeed.

KentuckyKid wrote:

2) As far as whether Major Phase begins in SR 1, I would say “often” or even “usually.” In order for Major Phase to begin, all 18 Regionals and all 12 Minors must float. The 12 Minors will float by rule. It all depends on whether the players hold back enough cash from the opening auction to float all of the Regionals. It also depends on how the players decide to use their money. For example, if I have £360 left in SR 1, I have to decide whether to float two Regionals parred at 90 or three parred at 60. How the players decide on their par values will often control whether the Major Phase starts right away.

Ok. Thanks. My question actually was: why would players keep their money and delay the floating of regionals? Is there any better to do than floating a regional, and getting their presidency (you do get the Precidency, right? This isn't so obvious when reading 9.2) at the beginning of the game? It seems more to be a matter of: do players still have enough money left to float the leftover regionals? Or am I missing something?

I'm willing to understand every single part of the rulebook. I like to understand everything to guarantee the best gameplay experience to my fellow friends.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d say that in almost every case, a player will float a Regional if able to do so, rather than just holding on to £120+ of cash. (Since you can’t yet buy secondary shares, there’s nothing else to do with that cash.) There are certainly cases where I hope someone else will float the final Regional(s) so that I can use my remaining cash to buy up secondary shares, but that is entirely situational. It depends on how good I perceive the remaining Regionals to be, and how well they work with my Minors.

Generally, you can figure out if all 18 Regionals are likely to float based on how much cash is in players’ hands at the start of the first SR. However, it can surprise you. Once, I thought all 18 would easily float, but then two players decided to par all of their Regionals at 90, leading to fewer floating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.