Christopher Lester
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, tabletop gamers!

We're a group of tabletop gaming enthusiasts who are building a site for us that might be a good fit for you! We're looking for other gamers to help us form it into something every gaming group can use.

TabletopGameNight.com

Come check us out!

We've already got one contest going, and there will be plenty more. We'll be awarding free memberships, as well as games and credits ($$$) to your favorite game stores.

See you at the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

What the heck is it? A scheduling tool? Can you provide some screen shots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea!

OK, here's a screenshot:

An explanation of what you're seeing:

Along the very top, from the left, a "Home" icon link, with the "Blog" and "Contact Us" links. On the right, your profile link.

Then the title.

Then a row of icons, from left to right: Parties, Groups, Games, Sites, Forum.

Parties is your list of parties.

You can see the list of upcoming parties, you can schedule a new party, and you can see a list of prior parties. Green check means you are or did attend the party. Red X means you will not or did not attend. A yellow question mark will indicate "undecided."

Groups is your list of gaming groups.

You can see a list of the groups you're a part of. You can see a list of invitations you've sent to your friends to join particular groups. You can also create a new group, with some toggleable options.

Games is your list of games.

You can either add them one by one, or you can import your list of owned games from BGG.

Sites shows you your current list of active sites (those places where you gather to play).

Forums is... the forums!

The styling is being worked on, but I think most of the functionality is relatively stable. But that's why we are inviting testers.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Party screen:

For this one, the "host" of the get together has nominated three games. All members of the group who are attending will be able to vote.

You can see the location details in the upper left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every screen is mobile-responsive, so you can just as easily view your dashboard and other pages on your phone, tablet, or desktop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really don't understand why anyone would need this when we have BGG, Facebook and Meetup...especially as a pay service. I know Dized is trying this, too. Doesn't make sense for them to splinter the market, either, but at least their game tutorials look good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
Really don't understand why anyone would need this when we have BGG, Facebook and Meetup...especially as a pay service.

Hey, John, we're trying to make it very tabletop-gaming-specific in its functionality. For example, we're implementing a game-nomination+voting system for game nights, and some other functionality that should help making tabletop game groups and nights easier (or at least not as cumbersome) to manage.

You have to pay for Meetup, too, but I think they cost $10/mo. I'm not sure what kind of functionality they have specifically for tabletop gamers, but I've heard too many complaints for other sites, and enough praise for ours, that it seems like a good idea, for now.

Regardless, you can be a free member and still part of a group, so I'm hoping we can cater to all gamers.

Another reason it's paid is because our site is the product, not you. Facebook sells you. (And not everybody is on Facebook or wants to be.) Meet-up caters (I think) to more of a very-large group of strangers getting together, instead of those intimate groups we've formed and play in.

johnweldy wrote:
I know Dized is trying this, too. Doesn't make sense for them to splinter the market, either, but at least their game tutorials look good.

Those set-up vids and tutes sound like a great idea. I've wondered- even in the past few days- if somebody does just "setup vids," where they just walk you thru the most efficient path to setting up a game.

I don't think we (or anyone in this space) are splintering the market. It's a healthy market with lots of players. More competition means more innovation, as well.

We're still considering all our funding options, but we have to pay the bills to continue to bring value to our customers and our site.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By “splintering the market” I mean that Facebook, Meetup and BGG have millions of users. You will nevermind reach that status. This kind of service is all about number of people signed up. You can have all the great features in the world, but if you don’t have market penetration it doesn’t matter.

There may Be room for one service like this. But it would have to be partnered with BGG, to the point where it’s a feature on the site. I can’t imagine it working any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
By “splintering the market” I mean that Facebook, Meetup and BGG have millions of users. You will nevermind reach that status. This kind of service is all about number of people signed up. You can have all the great features in the world, but if you don’t have market penetration it doesn’t matter.

There may Be room for one service like this. But it would have to be partnered with BGG, to the point where it’s a feature on the site. I can’t imagine it working any other way.

I disagree. Every business starts out an underdog. Let’s see if they can make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
By “splintering the market” I mean that Facebook, Meetup and BGG have millions of users.

Many of these users use all three sites. What if, instead of Facebook, Meetup, and BGG, tabletop gamers started using Facebook, TabletopGameNight, and BGG? These sites function together with different purposes. I'm not seeing any problem here.

Myself, I didn't want to use Meetup because I'm only catering to my own groups. I don't want to invite a ton of strangers. I'm sure Meetup can be used for small private groups, but I also wanted some tabletop-gaming-specific functionality, like voting on the games we'll play at the next gathering, keeping lists of who's bringing what, etc.

johnweldy wrote:
You will nevermind reach that status. This kind of service is all about number of people signed up.

Ah, I think you mis-perceive what our purpose is. We don't need millions of users, because our site is not for growing a gaming group. (Altho we will have a public forum for that.) It's for managing the one you already have. So, no... I'm not sure we need millions of people so that groups can form. We need a site that's attractive to groups of friends and family who already have their group, but they want a service that helps them make the most of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.