13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Best starting hero comp? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
My group of 3 have been having trouble with the first scenario, and I was wondering what might be causing us problems, Team-comp/playing wrong/difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats your team comp, and whats giving you difficulties in the scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Sedalia
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not a single party of 3 that should have significantly more difficulty compared to any others. I'd say probably rules errors (bound to happen to most groups) or burning too many loss cards too early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
http://cpc.cx/jEa Made in Savoie
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHW14 wrote:
My group of 3 have been having trouble with the first scenario, and I was wondering what might be causing us problems, Team-comp/playing wrong/difficulty?

Nothing of the kind I would suggest. I failed the first scenario twice in 3 player mode before eventually succeeding.

The game is not a walk in the park and will often challenge you. You first need to get the grasp on it: not rush but not camp, when is the bast time to use your single activation cards...etc.

oh and don't forget, you can discard a card to prevent damage .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our party rolled through the first two scenarios on normal difficulty so easily that we were trying not to kill all enemies so we can get a few more xp and coins.

I think the key is to coordinate well. Remember it is allowable to say anything except card names and specific numbers. We always discuss what we are doing in broad terms like "I'm going to go first and focus on this guy here", or "I will need this element if someone can provide it" or "Who needs healing? if you end up within 2 spaces of me I can heal you".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Askjær
msg tools
nobody82b wrote:

Edit: Loose a card to prevent damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Korkrest wrote:
nobody82b wrote:

What? I never said that!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Tucknott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
nobody82b wrote:
Remember it is allowable to say anything except card names and specific numbers....

"if you end up within 2 spaces of me I can heal you".

Naughty naughty 😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is pretty tough, especially at low levels, but there's no "bad" team comp in the starting classes except maybe Scoundrel, Tinkerer, Cragheart (because the Cragheart's "damage adjacent allies" abilities clashes with the Scoundrel and Tinkerer's "stand next to allies" abilities). What are you having trouble with - are you taking damage? Running out of cards? Not killing enemies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Korkrest wrote:
nobody82b wrote:

Edit: Loose a card to prevent damage
How do the cards get tight in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Musgrove
United States
Royse City
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your easiest time pick Brute, Scoundrel, then fill out the party with whomever.

Brute is a tank that can do a lot of damage once.
Scoundrel does a lot of damage quickly.
Mind Thief does a good amount of damage and some control powers
Spell weaver is probably the hardest of the starting chars to learn, but is good (maybe the best of the starters) and does nice damage to groups of bad guys.
Tinker is support, really nice to have in a 4 person party but really boring to play.
Craigheart is another tank that does more damage than the brute, but can't take the beating as well.

All that being said. Winning and loosing scenarios matter much more on how well you play that char vs the party makeup. Knowing when to burn a card for its really good ability vs playing conservative is key.

When picking the dungeon difficulty for the first 3 or so dungeons round down instead of up. Till you learn your guys tricks. The first dungeon should be played at level 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
WHW14 wrote:

One thing I have watched a lot of people do in videos is burn cards early unnecessarily (one with "Lost" icons), not understanding that it costs you either a full turn later or the ability to ignore damage from a huge hit in one of the later 2 rooms.

Second would be focusing your attacks. If everyone is attacking a different enemy, that's going to take a long time to get past the first room. You shouldn't necessarily "soften" all enemies up a little so a Cragheart or Tinkerer or Spellweaver can take them out with a multi-target hit. Taking one turn away from the enemy group by killing a figure is so much more valuable. Like others have said, you can coordinate a LOT before choosing cards as long as you don't say card numbers or titles.

Lastly, no one character can "do it all." It's easy for the Scoundrel or Brute to want to charge ahead of everyone else and be open to 3-5 attacks in one route. No character is surviving that. Similarly, the Spellweaver in particular needs to be managed carefully. I generally like to still be holding onto Reviving Ether by the time the second to last room is cleared out, even though that means I've had to long rest and use weaker attacks a few times to make that happen. Then, I can use Reviving Ether, and know that I have a solid 3-4 turns with the Spellweaver unleashing everything in the last room, more if other parties members do well and I can be conservative again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowix wrote:
Winning and loosing scenarios
Wait, the scenarios are restrained?
What a weird game, the cards are tight and the scenarios are restrained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.