Subject: Any plans for adding hotseat support? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cmdr Salamander
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just bought the app and was hoping to play with my wife during our vacation... but sadly it does not seem to support a pass and play mode cry. Have he developers ever indicated whether this will be added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC they said they would have to rework the game into a different kind of Race for the Galaxy.

Sounds like a big project for a small team and i wouldn't hold my breath for it ever happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eradian Grouw
msg tools
well, i kind of fell into the same "misunderstanding" yesterday.

With a turn-based board game adaption to a tablet one more or less implicitly assumes a hotseat/pass-and-play mode is part of the implementation.

Very little change to the ui seems to be needed, just a something like a color- and player name-based indication of whose turn it currently is. No need to display multiple hands/player tableaus simultaneously in my opinion.

Regards,

Eridian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At that point, just get the actual tabletop version of the game. LOL shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is likely to keep coming up, and has already been discussed in a long-buried comment, here it is:
greysphere wrote:
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
IF RFTG can do local multiplayer option , long flights would become bearable...
Oh man, I feel you're pain. We had a limited version of pass and play going but found it didn't work so great out the gate. Turns out the simultanity-features that make it so great to play irl make a pass-and-play digital version a lot more 'pass' than 'play'. You end up making one micro decision, then passing, then another small decision, then passing, rather than having a big meaty turn like most games.

A designer friend of ours suggested making a rules variant that would reduce the sync points to only the role choosing. This would solve the too much passing problem (and could make for a great async play mode as well, games would be completable with <10 sessions). But it's a pretty significant change and could make the game terrible - ha, who knows, something to try out and see.

Anyway that's a bit of a behind the curtain glimpse into the dev process. Feels like for every little thing there's a bunch of these decisions and tradeoffs and you just keep making them and adjusting until it all works out so players don't even notice ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Yeah, I mean why isn't this the obvious solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eradian Grouw
msg tools
Serge,

many thanks, now i get their point :-)

as to the other question of why not go for the real thing, we have the cardboard version on loan from friends right now, and were thinking about buying it ourselves as well, but

a) in europe for some reason it is really expensive right now, equiv of 45$ for the base game alone is pretty stiff...
b) with more than 100 board games at home we are running into space issues, so whenever there is a really good ipad version we closely look at that
c) setup and teardown times matter to us right now, when there are just 30min left at the and of a busy day, we really enjoy a quick game, often Carcassonne on ipad
d) multi extension games take extra card/tile sorting / setup time in case you dont want to play with all extensions combined, here the electronic versions really do shine for us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridian wrote:

With a turn-based board game adaption to a tablet one more or less implicitly assumes a hotseat/pass-and-play mode is part of the implementation.

And RFTG isn't a turn-based game, so there you go. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Yeah, I mean why isn't this the obvious solution?
The same reason why when I want to discuss board games and related topic with gamers, I come to this site, as opposed to getting together with other gamers... my local group only meets weekly/bi-weekly, bg conventions require a 5+ hour round trip, but starting up a topic here is quick and convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.