The Ravens of Thri Sahashri» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ravens killing us in the first round - what to do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got the hubby to the table to try Ravens of Thri Sahashri. He's observed me doing solo run throughs, so the rules for the most part weren't that big an impediment. However....

We tried two games. In the first game, we nearly finished Ren's poem (hubby was playing Ren), but I was unable to chase off ravens and managed to draw 5 of them, when all 5 were active, we lost.

We tried again, this time I played Ren and he played Feth. We drew a lot of ravens in that round. He successfully drove off three of them, and we finished the heart poem with matching atman. BUT -- when it came time for the ravens to fly back, we realised we would be started round 2 with 5 ravens, a loss condition. So we figured we'd lost again.

Here's my question: if you draw all five ravens in one round, even if you drive them off, they're coming back for the beginning of the next round, so if I understand that correctly, you are going to lose at the beginning of the next round because there's nothing else you can do to ravens but drive them off. Is this right?

If you are unlucky enough to draw all 5 ravens in one round, in that case, you've lost the game, as chasing only delays the inevitable. Please tell me I'm missing something.

I don't know how I managed to play 5 run throughs on my own and not have this happen, then it happened twice in a row when I got the hubster to the table. We shuffled the bejeebers out of those cards, so it wasn't for lack of shuffling. It was just bad luck! What can be done to mitigate this raven situation? Anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
If you draw several ravens in one turn you should stop drawing more cards and keep your card draws to a low number afterwards to take advantage of the secure spots those ravens give you. It sounds like you're just drawing too many cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
If you draw ravens into your safe zone, they go straight to the discard pile, you don't have to chase them away and they don't come back automatically the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
If you draw ravens into your safe zone, they go straight to the discard pile, you don't have to chase them away and they don't come back automatically the next round.

Ah ha!!!! I forgot about that! We finished the game too early, then, because we were playing it wrong. Huzzah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.