Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Foederati Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hatch
United States
California
flag msg tools
Let's suppose that invited Foederati have outlasted their "usefulness" to the Dux (or Civitates) player. For example, the Dux player would like to reduce the number of red Foederati settlements on the board to keep the Saxon or Scotti player below their settlement count victory threshold.

Can the Dux (or Civitates) players turn on and battle against their erstwhile same color (i.e. Red for Dux controlled)Foederati allies, while they are still Foederati of the same color, to eliminate them before the Epoch ends and avoid paying the Annona or to remove a same color Foederati settlement that has suddenly become very inconvenient to have on the board? My read is no, but wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

To Invite Foderati, the player must be able to add a settlement to the board. One can stop paying for the Foederati Warbands in the Annona Phase, at which point they will revert back to Saxon or Scotti Warbands as applicable, plunder the province they occupy, and can be "dealt with" later, but by my read is this does not cause a settlement to lose its Foederati status, just the Warbands. To have to wait until the Annona Phase might also be too late to avoid a Saxon or Scotti victory. So unless one can convince the other Briton player use Invite to pay to switch the Foederati's color, so they can be considered enemy and attacked in a future turn, they seem to be untouchable by their own side while still the same color. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although all Foederati markers are removed during Annona for unpaid Troops, it seems to be the case that unless you Battle the other Briton's Foederati they're pretty much left alone. This makes the choice to recruit them a very serious decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jkhatch wrote:
Let's suppose that invited Foederati have outlasted their "usefulness" to the Dux (or Civitates) player. For example, the Dux player would like to reduce the number of red Foederati settlements on the board to keep the Saxon or Scotti player below their settlement count victory threshold.

Can the Dux (or Civitates) players turn on and battle against their erstwhile same color (i.e. Red for Dux controlled)Foederati allies, while they are still Foederati of the same color, to eliminate them before the Epoch ends and avoid paying the Annona or to remove a same color Foederati settlement that has suddenly become very inconvenient to have on the board? My read is no, but wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

To Invite Foderati, the player must be able to add a settlement to the board. One can stop paying for the Foederati Warbands in the Annona Phase, at which point they will revert back to Saxon or Scotti Warbands as applicable, plunder the province they occupy, and can be "dealt with" later, but by my read is this does not cause a settlement to lose its Foederati status, just the Warbands. To have to wait until the Annona Phase might also be too late to avoid a Saxon or Scotti victory. So unless one can convince the other Briton player use Invite to pay to switch the Foederati's color, so they can be considered enemy and attacked in a future turn, they seem to be untouchable by their own side while still the same color. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Essentially yes, The thing is that Foederati of your colour are considered to be pieces of yours, (i.e. red Foederati are Dux pieces, blue Foederati are Civitates pieces). That prevents you from attacking them if you would wish to get rid of them indeed. But that doesn't prevent any other faction, including the other Briton faction, to attack them (remember, Dux and Civitates are allowed to fight each other at any time).
Another option is to send your Foederati units on a suicide mission, or prioritize them when allocating losses (within what the rules allow). A dead Foederati Warband is a Foederati you don't have to pay Annona to... However, Foederati Settlements stick around even if their associated Warbands are dead...

Note however that if Foederati rebel because they have not been paid during Annona, you remove ALL Foederati markers in every Region where there are unpaid Foederati (of the same colour), so that means that any Foederati Settlement in such a Region loses its Foederati status too. On the other hand, if the Foederati Warbands rebel away from their Settlement, the Settlement remains...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.