Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I figured out my frustration with this game, and a misunderstanding on my part.

If it’s my turn to play cards, I can play a card on any encounter at my location, not just the one in front of me, but in front of other players as well, yes? (Saw this in a demo)

I can play an assist on any other players turn. Do I have to play it on the same encounter that the active player is attacking? What if it’s a healing assist? Do I have to heal the active player? (page 15 assist examples)

When I play a card, I play the text effects first, and then the damage. (Page 15 damage and text effects)

Assist cards can be played from the main location to a location card location or vice verse, but not from one location card to another location card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds correct. One minor clarification:

The Active Player is always responsible for allocating all damage, even that damage that was provided by Assists.

You can tell the player where you’re wanting to contribute, but ultimately they decide how it gets used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:

I can play an assist on any other players turn. Do I have to play it on the same encounter that the active player is attacking? What if it’s a healing assist? Do I have to heal the active player? (page 15 assist examples)

No, and no (to the best of my understanding).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mohnkern wrote:
If it’s my turn to play cards, I can play a card on any encounter at my location, not just the one in front of me, but in front of other players as well, yes? (Saw this in a demo)

Yes. This is what a number of posters here in the forum have been trying to tell you in your previous threads.
mohnkern wrote:
When I play a card, I play the text effects first, and then the damage. (Page 15 damage and text effects)

You need to be a bit careful here. While Text Effects are applied during Phase 2, any Damage (such as Lightning Blast) is applied during Phase 3.

It's easy to imagine that cards such as Lightning Blast deal the damage during Phase 2 but they don't. Since the text effect specifically mentions damage, then that is applied during Phase 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some fundamental misunderstandings you have yes.

1. On your turn you can play cards against any encounter, not just the one facing you. This is altered somewhat if you are in a location, but rule of thumb is you can play cards against any encounter not in a location.

2. Assist cards are played on other player's turns. They are in the end responsible for assigning their damage, so you're not playing them "against" a specific monster.

3. There are specific phases of your turn. The play cards phase is when card effects (text at the bottom) come into play. The damage is done in the next phase called "Deal damage". If a card effect deals damage, it's applied here as well.

4. Correct, location to location no, environment to location yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.