Chaos in the Old World» Forums » General

Subject: hero slaying greater demons is unthematic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just purchased this game due to the great reviews i have seen but after reading the rules one thing is just bothering me.
How on earth can a hero defeat a greater demon? it is so unthematic and completely out of the warhammer lore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because rules exceptions are generally to be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Carreras Salvadó
Spain
Vilablareix
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not impossible, you can consider that a hero marker indicates a whole army and greater daemons have been defeated in warhammer lore.

Furthermore, usually the greater daemon is the last figure from a God to be removed and I think that they require constant sacrifices and warp energy to maintain their physical form in the world. This means that the hero doesn't need to slay the daemon, he must only defeat the last remains of cults and foul creatures serving the chaos god in that region to banish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utana wrote:
It's not impossible, you can consider that a hero marker indicates a whole army and greater daemons have been defeated in warhammer lore.

Furthermore, usually the greater daemon is the last figure from a God to be removed and I think that they require constant sacrifices and warp energy to maintain their physical form in the world. This means that the hero doesn't need to slay the daemon, he must only defeat the last remains of cults and foul creatures serving the chaos god in that region to banish it.

interesting idea we could just interpret that the heromarkers represent a bunch of heroes and armies and be done with it just like the peasant marker which represents a whole village
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
kovaltio wrote:
Utana wrote:

interesting idea we could just interpret that the heromarkers represent a bunch of heroes and armies and be done with it just like the peasant marker which represents a whole village

Yes. More like a whole order of heroic knights. All board games are abstractions to some degree or other. The closer they veer towards simulation the less playable the become.

A Cultist figure most likely also does not represent a single cultist but rather a whole congregation including a high priest or whatever they may be called.

The Hero mechanic in this game as is gives some interesting tactical considerations with regards to Greater Demons, allowing Slaanesh or Tzeentch to basically assassinate a lone one under the right circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A Cultist figure most likely also does not represent a single cultist

It clearly represents at least two of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattes wrote:
Quote:
A Cultist figure most likely also does not represent a single cultist

It clearly represents at least two of them

I stand corrected. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad P
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Tyrion is a hero as has been quite famous for defeating Greater Daemons. Heroes doing epic things seems quite plausible in a fantasy setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Warhammer Quest our heroes defeated Greater Daemons quite regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrannyRELee wrote:
Well Tyrion is a hero as has been quite famous for defeating Greater Daemons. Heroes doing epic things seems quite plausible in a fantasy setting.

As did Gotrek, another hero of Warhammer lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry J
msg tools
mbmbmb
As a former long time Warhammer Fantasy follower, I see nothing wrong with that. Greater daemons were heroes them8selves and were far from unkillable in battles. Besides, as stated by others, I never considered the token to represent a single hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Tyrion and Gotrek were pretty badass and pwned some daemons over the years.

Tabletop wise, if you're fielding ultra mega elite troops like Karl Franz flying around on Deathclaw, there's a chance -- a very, very small chance -- that a run of good luck for Karl Franz and very bad luck for the Daemons could result in some otherwise unbelievable outcomes.

But, hey, those moments of victory against impossible odds are the stories we remember and are the ones that get told and re-told until they become legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was quite a common occurrence in 5th edition really, my dwarf lords ate greater deamons for breakfast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
kovaltio wrote:
I have just purchased this game due to the great reviews i have seen but after reading the rules one thing is just bothering me.
How on earth can a hero defeat a greater demon? it is so unthematic and completely out of the warhammer lore...

I think you have got this totally wrong. In WH and WH40k, Heroes can be MASSIVELY POWERFUL. I'm more versed in 40k lore than the fantasy version, but for example Grey Knight Heroes are absolutely capable of going toe to toe with Greater Daeomons (it's kind of their job to do so).

It is totally true that when building Chaos Armies, one of the potential advantages that you have is that Greater Daemons and Chaos Lords can be simply soaked in points... they can be made some of the most powerful single units in the game. But Grey Knights, Space Orks and Tau can also throw out some big hitters as well. I would assume it's somewhat the same in the fantasy version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.