Hide
4 Posts

Codenames: Duet» Forums » General

Subject: Duet with 4 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher J
msg tools
In theory, it sounds like this game would play really well with 4 people. You take turns giving clues (either no communication or writing on paper) and you can discuss the clues you are given.

That sounds better than 2 because you can chat with a teammate. It sounds better than the usual 4 player codenames too.

So how does it actually play out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
It works really well. There are three Play-By-Forum games going on here on BGG and two of the games have four players, doing clue discussion in a GeekList. You should go check them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people love it with four, but with four I'll play regular Codenames instead. Duet is designed for two. Sure you can play it with more, a hundred people if you wish, but you need a method to discuss what clue to give in your team that the other team won't hear. Something you don't have to worry about in Codenames when playing with four (or more) and something you don't have to worry about when playing Duet with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
With 4 my default choice would be Duet. This is because competitive Codenames with a single guesser per team lacks the discussion and feels a bit dry. Optimal number of players for base game is 6 imho.

Yes, you have to find ways in duet as "double spy master" do discuss the clues you give. But all you need is pan/paper which is quite simple and it works really well. Or just whisper, but I prefer the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.